How To Chop Garlic
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 10, 2008
Watch more Food Preparation Tips, Tricks, & Techniques videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/195-Foo...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://howc.st/uLaHRS
Learn this easy way to chop garlic.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://howc.st/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Health Channel - http://howc.st/HOE3aY
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://howc.st/tYKKrk
Howcast Tech Channel - http://howc.st/rx9FwR
Howcast Food Channel - http://howc.st/umBoJX
Howcast Arts & Recreation Channel - http://howc.st/vmB86i
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://howc.st/vKjUjm
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://howc.st/vbbNt3
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Step 1: Loosen cloves
Press down on the stem of a head of garlic to loosen the cloves.
Step 2: Place clove
Pull one clove of garlic from the head and place it flat in the center of a clean cutting board.
Step 3: Crack skin
Place the widest part of the flat side of your blade on top of the clove and smash down on the middle of it with the palm of your hand, taking care not to cut yourself. This will crack the papery skin enough for you to remove it.
Step 4: Position knife
Grasp the knife in your dominant hand, holding the handle close to the blade with three fingers: your middle, ring, and pinkie. Curl your forefinger around one side of the blade while holding your thumb on the opposite side.
Step 5: Slice off root
Slice off the root end of the garlic clove and discard it.
Step 6: Slice clove
Keeping the point of the knife on the board and using a steady rocking motion to slice—not saw—the garlic with the full length of the blade, slice the clove lengthwise into 4 or 5 slices. Then make 4 or 5 slices crosswise.
Fresh garlic is best used immediately, but you can store it in your refrigerator in an airtight container for up to two days.
Step 7: Repeat process
Pull off another clove, crack and remove the skin, and slice away until you have all the garlic you need.
Did You Know?
Garlic and Shots, a restaurant in Stockholm and London, serves everything on the menu with garlic—from garlic martinis to garlic honey ice cream.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:58 How To Cut a Bell Pepperby HowcastFeatured 183,728
- 1:50 How To Julienneby Howcast 111,893 views
- 1:32 How to Grow Garlic Indoorsby Howcast 233,348 views
- 0:55 How To Tell If You Have Bad Breathby Howcast 304,572 views
- 3:29 Gordon Ramsay: How to Part a Chickenby htan 175,878 views
- Garlic 21,367 videos59
- 1:33 Gordon Ramsay: How to Chop an Onionby htan 1,432,153 views
- 4:07 Gordon Ramsay's Scrambled Eggsby WatchTheDaily 3,465,232 views
- 0:56 how to cut cucumberby Lin Tao 188,229 views
- 4:12 How to Mince Ginger and Garlic, Martin Yan Style?by Anton Diaz 51,495 views
- 1:44 How To Batonby Howcast 29,720 views
- 3:03 How To Chop an Onionby Howcast 80,912 views
- 1:32 How to slice a tomatoby HowdiniGuru 171,593 views
- 2:02 How To Bleach Your Upper Lipby Howcast 90,667 views
- 1:22 Gordon Ramsey - Pan Glazed Fillet of Beef.by tubemookish 1,047,369 views
- 5:09 Mastering Knife Skills - Dicing Techniqueby MasteringKnifeSkills 197,052 views
- 0:39 Cooking Tips : How to Slice Watermelonsby cookingguide 668,613 views
- 2:39 Chopping, Mincing, and Using Garlic Clovesby allthingsitalian 23,485 views
- 1:00 How To Peel a Head of Garlic in Less Than 10 Secondsby SaveurMagazine 1,155,713 views
- 2:02 Sara's Cooking Tips: How to Cut Garlicby MAFieldtoTable 5,596 views
- 1:15 How to Cut a Pepperby Yummly1 108,614 views
- Loading more suggestions...