CAR COUNTRY: An Environmental History
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 19, 2012
For most residents of the United States, getting almost anywhere begins with reaching for the car keys. This is true, Christopher Wells argues, because the United States is car country: a nation whose landscapes are so completely oriented around personal vehicles that other forms of transportation tend to be inconvenient at best-and nearly impossible at worst.
Car-dependent landscapes seem perfectly natural to us today, but they are a relatively new historical development. In CAR COUNTRY, Wells explains how, over the course of just a few decades, entrepreneurs demonstrated the profitability, practicality, and political attractiveness of remaking the nation around the easy movement of automobiles. He also shows how government policies, from the federal to the local, created a dense thicket of new regulations, incentives, and practices surrounding both transportation and land-use, which together redefined "development" as "car-oriented development." With these changes, the United States became Car Country.
From the dawn of the motor age to the establishment of the interstate highway system and the rise of the suburbs, Wells untangles the complicated relationships between automobiles and the environment, charting a history essential for understanding American transportation and land-use issues today.
Christopher Wells is associate professor of environmental history at Macalester College.
"CAR COUNTRY is arguably the most carefully researched, clearly written, and consistently engaging study anyone has yet written exploring the far-flung and extraordinarily complicated landscapes created by and for automobiles in the twentieth-century United States. The story is all the more remarkable because most of us who now inhabit this landscape take it so much for granted without having the slightest clue how it came into being."-from the Foreword by William Cronon
"CAR COUNTRY offers a valuable historical perspective that is directly related to many pressing contemporary issues." -Owen D. Gutfreund, author of Twentieth Century Sprawl: Highways and the Reshaping of the American Landscape
"CAR COUNTRY is the most comprehensive recent synthesis of the automobile in twentieth-century America, of unusual scope and readability." -Peter D. Norton, author of Fighting Traffic: The Dawn of the Motor Age in the American City
Standard YouTube License
- 18:11 Development of the diesel engine - "diesel story" 1952 documentaryby wdtvlive42Featured 12,687
- 3:31 Prof. Dr. James Rice on 'An Environmental History of Native America'by rcarsoncenter No views
- 1:01 William Cronon on the National Parksby PackerGreg 1,423 views
- 7:51 Sustainable Thurston - The land use-transportation connectionby TRPCorg 908 views
- 2:22 The History of Environmentalismby mcasperson 1,065 views
- 22 videos Play all History Of The Automobileby wolfiezdreamscape
- 1:45 FOUR THOUSAND HOOKS: A True Story of Fishing and Coming of Age on the High Seas of Alaskaby UWashingtonPress 3,333 views
- 21:50 Ranch Hand Horizons - Episode 2 - Bison Huntby hunteclipse 973 views
- 19:34 Go Fish BC: Winter Steelhead Drift Fishingby ffsbc 11,509 views
- 3:57 125 Years of the Car - The History of Motoring | Made in Germanyby deutschewelleenglish 6,595 views
- 20:30 San Francisco's Transport System - including 1906 Earthquake Picsby Bel99TV No views
- 7:58 SayersBrook Bison Ranch - History Part 1by Barb Shaeffer 4,835 views
- 7:50 1934 Ford Manufacturing Exposition - US Auto Historyby restoreyourford 3,636 views
- 2:36 The first car ever running live! The Benz Motorwagen (1885)by SquirrelAndRope 302,760 views
- 2:31 Quick History of Carsby AmsSoftware 921 views
- 36:34 Henry Ford's Mirror of Americaby TheAutoChannel 799 views
- 4:52 Environmental History Songby kjcatalfamo 1,132 views
- 3:00 NISEI SOLDIERS BREAK THEIR SILENCEby UWashingtonPress 604 views
- 6:07 So you want to come to the University of Chicagoby Jackie Chan 14,188 views
- 1:01 تطور الاتصالات عبر التاريخ- Communication developmentby shababwebas100 5,787 views
- 9:51 2/7 - 'Environmental Problems, Islamic Solutions' by Sheikh Dr Abdullah Hakim Quickby KCLIsoc 823 views
- Loading more suggestions...