7 Marines Killed in Explosion During Training Exercise At Hawthorne Army Depot In Nevada
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 19, 2013
Seven Marines from a North Carolina unit were killed and several injured in a training accident at the Hawthorne Army Depot in western Nevada, the Marine Corps said Tuesday.
The cause of the accident shortly before 10 p.m. PST, Monday is under investigation, officials said in a statement from the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp LeJeune, N.C.
The injured were taken to area hospitals for treatment and further evaluation. A spokesman for Renown Regional Medical Center in Reno, the area's major trauma hospital, couldn't immediately confirm how many people were being treated there. A nursing supervisor at Saint Mary's Regional Medical Center said her hospital hadn't taken patients from the incident
"We send our prayers and condolences to the families of Marines involved in this tragic incident. We remain focused on ensuring that they are supported through this difficult time," said the force's commander, Maj. Gen. Raymond C. Fox. "We mourn their loss, and it is with heavy hearts we remember their courage and sacrifice."
The identities of those killed were not released pending notification of their families and a 24-hour waiting period after that.
The Hawthorne Army Depot stores and disposes of ammunition. The facility is made up of hundreds of buildings spread over more than 230 square miles.
Hawthorne has held an important place in American military history since World War II when it became the staging area for ammunition, bombs and rockets for the war. The Nevada Division of Environmental Protection says that the depot employed more than 5,500 people at its peak. Nevada was chosen for the location because of its remoteness in the wake of a devastating explosion at the government's main depot in New Jersey in the 1920s.
It opened in September 1930 as the Naval Ammunition Depot Hawthorne, was redesignated Hawthorne Army Ammunition Plant in 1977 when it moved under the control of the Army, according to its website. In 1994, the site ended its production mission and became Hawthorne Army Depot. The site currently serves several purposes for the military, including storing ammunition and explosives and providing what the military calls an ideal training facility for special forces preparing for deployments to similar desert terrain in places like Afghanistan.
Nevada Republican Sen. Dean Heller tweeted: "Thoughts and prayers are with the families who lost a loved one in the Hawthorne Army Depot explosion. Grateful for their service."
Standard YouTube License
- 1:52 Marines Fire M249 Squad Automatic Machine Gun at Hawthorne Army Depot in Nevadaby alliefox25Featured 1,031
- 1:57:05 OPPT South Africa discussion panel 14 March 2013by rich freedomcentral 2,278 views
- 1:42 Mortar explosion kills 7 US Marines; accident at Nevada's Hawthorne Army Depotby 10newsvideos 921 views
- 4:59 Harry Reid Shocks With Allegation That Deadly Marine Training Accident Tied To Sequester Cutsby Buzz Sourse 2,077 views
- 2:28 15 Seconds of Infamy on Live Newsby AmazingLife247 577,249 views
- 24:03 Mad TV - Abercrombie Skitsby niceguynoel 10,334,290 views
- 10:01 New Pope is "Satan's Marine" and first Jesuit to lead Catholic Cultby Mark Dice 83,759 views
- 1:49 7 Marines Killed in Nevada Training Accident at Hawthorne Army Depotby ABCNews 2,213 views
- 1:20 Marines fire Javelin Missile against Talibanby MilitaryNotes 114,401 views
- 27:35 U.S. Marine Corps Recruit Training - The Crucibleby usapatriotism 76,808 views
- 1:28 Outrageous!... Harry Reid Uses Dead Marines at Hawthorne Army Depot to Whine About Sequester Cutsby jim hoft 6,538 views
- 1:37 7 Marines killed in Nevadaby wavy 376 views
- 1:29 Seven Marines Killed by Mortar Explosion During Training Exercise in Nevadaby ABCNews 1,986 views
- 22:31 Newsted - Metal (Full Ep) (2013)by SebaxZegarra 13,941 views
- 23:14 HotS - QXC vs Poo - TvP - Cloud Kingdom - StarCraft 2by HuskyStarcraft 98,274 views
- 6:12 (NEW) Ulimate Fails Compilation - March 2013by dizyArts 1,186,416 views
- 4:18:27 The Visual Bible - The Gospel Of Matthewby teron49 735,903 views
- 8:30 PARA USA/ORDNANCE P14.45 TACTICAL 1911 "BAD TO THE BONE"by HKmanlp1 43,775 views
- 2:05 U.S. Marine singing Michael Buble on an airplane!by mattjb84 101,690 views
- 5:32 [Orignal full version] 1 Marine vs. 30 Cops (By. J. handy)by BklynJHandy 9,089,967 views
- Loading more suggestions...