Fulfilling the Promise of Micro-Philanthropy - a Web-Based Approach
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 7, 2008
Google Tech Talks
March, 5 2008
"A revolutionary charity." -- Oprah Winfrey
"This new philanthropy system is turning traditional philanthropy on its head." -- ABC World News Tonight
"I encourage everybody to go on and make donations...let's make a difference." -- Stephen Colbert
"The results are powerful." -- BusinessWeek
"I think the capacity to expand is infinite." -- Bill Clinton
DonorsChoose.org's Founder and CTO will introduce the org, and discuss this example of real micro-philanthropy in action through the lens of the site's transactional data, usage trends, web marketing, user generated content, and underlying technologies.
More about DonorsChoose.org: Founded in 2000 by a young public high school teacher in the Bronx, citizen philanthropists from all 50 states and 10 countries have already funded more than 45,000 public school classroom projects at DonorsChoose.org, channeling over $19 million of resources to students in low-income communities. At DonorsChoose.org, someone giving $10 enjoys the same choice, impact, and vivid feedback that-until now-have been reserved for millionaire benefactors. Recognition of DonorsChoose.org includes the Nonprofit Innovation Award given by Stanford Business School and Amazon.com; the Fast Company Social Capitalist Award; a Global Technology Laureate from the TECH Museum of Innovation; and selection by Ashoka. Major supporters include eBay founder Pierre Omidyar, Yahoo! co-founder David Filo, venture capitalist Vinod Khosla, and Netflix founder Reed Hastings.
Speaker: Charles Best
CEO & Founder of DonorsChoose
Charles Best founded DonorsChoose.org at Wings Academy, a public high school in the Bronx where he was a social studies teacher for five years. He thought up DonorsChoose.org during a lunch conversation with colleagues, and his students volunteered to help start the organization. To entice his fellow teachers to try out the new website, Charles offered them his mother's famous pear dessert. DonorsChoose.org has been growing since.
Speaker: Oliver Hurst-Hiller
Oliver leads the DonorsChoose.org engineering team and is responsible for the technology systems that power DonorsChoose.org's unique philanthropic marketplace. Prior to joining the team, Oliver worked as a Senior Program Manager at Microsoft where he managed product engineering projects for Microsoft's new Internet search engine. He also worked with renowned computer scientist Dr. Gary Flake to start Microsoft Live Labs, a new applied research laboratory for Internet technologies. Oliver joined Microsoft when the Windows Tablet PC group acquired EQuill, a venture-backed software start-up that he co-founded and led for three years as CEO. He is a co-inventor of an issued U.S. patent related to web-based document annotation and multiple pending patents for Internet search-related technologies. Oliver graduated from Brown University with a B.A. in Computer Science and spent the first 13 years of his academic career attending New York City public schools.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:46 Thoughts - inspirational slideshowby monikashomestudioFeatured 6,577
- 1:03:11 Strategic Philanthropy for Beginnersby GoogleTechTalks 7,028 views
- 58:08 No Time to Thinkby Google Tech Talks 131,418 views
- 48:54 Cognitive Neuroscience of Mindfulness Meditationby GoogleTechTalks 314,735 views
- 1:04:13 Social Actions and the Microphilanthropy Movementby GoogleTechTalks 2,843 views
- 37:02 9 Myths that Stop Forgiveness (EFT Gathering 2010)by HowToLetGo's channel 3,916 views
- 1:07:29 Bob Dean's presentation, European Exopolitics Summit, Barcelona, 25 July 2009by jagbodhi 270,609 views
- 7:36 Venture Philanthropy Partnersby vcvrana 4,920 views
- 2:52 Tracy Gary -- Inspired Philanthropyby charityfocus 1,477 views
- 6:00 Can Philanthropy Create Poverty? (ProteanView)by proteanview 36,296 views
- 21:11 Fulfilling the Promise (English)by rooymedia 3,624 views
- 5:39 "Philanthropy Is..."by mnfoundations 12,162 views
- 50:47 Authors@Google: Jeremy Rifkinby AtGoogleTalks 31,401 views
- 5:34 Philanthropyby iamaphilanthropist 1,294 views
- 2:47 Mouli Cohen on Philanthropyby moulicohen 3,857 views
- 4:40 Civil Rights and the Mediaby Tom Brewer 580 views
- 59:00 Industry Philanthropy and Universitiesby UCTV, University of California Television 356 views
- 59:05 Issues and Experiences in Designing Real-time Collaborative Editing Systemsby GoogleTechTalks 9,056 views
- 3:55 Highlights from Vegas 2006/Origins of eBay and Intuitby ebaydeveloper 4,194 views
- 4:38 Belinda Stronach: Philanthropy as Competitive Advantageby CDNBusinessMag 2,517 views
- Loading more suggestions...