Epic piano move onto the Great Wall of China! ThePianoGuys
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 9, 2013
ALL THE SOUNDS YOU HEAR WERE CREATED BY THE CELLO, PIANO, AND ASIAN PERCUSSION
Yes. That is the Great Wall of China. No. It's not green screen.
Since ThePianoGuys began, it has been our impossible dream to put a grand piano on the Great Wall. People laughed at us when we said we were determined to do it. It is done. All of us at ThePianoGuys would like to dedicate this music video to the visionary behind it all and the man whose dream this has always been: Paul Anderson.
It is difficult to detail each of the many miracles that were stitched together in time turning this dream into actuality. Master Oogway, himself, said that "a destiny is not realized until we let go of the illusion of control." To say we made this happen of our own accord would be to fall victim to this illusion. An invisible hand guided us, for which we are eternally grateful. This was a life-changing experience for us.
We'd like to thank the main players in this story that made it possible:
Our managers at DSW, David Simone and Winston Simone; Winston's contact (name); Sony Masterworks, and especially to the woman that climbed every wall that stood between us and The Wall: Ivy (name?)
When we found out we had been granted a permit to film on the Wall we were intimidated by the prospect of choosing what song to write. A pop song arrangement seemed irreverent! We talked about writing an original tune, but we wanted something more relevant. We're big fans of the Kung Fu Panda movie series (and we've all got kids that love it too.) We had what we call a "chills up" moment as we listened to "Oogway Ascends" from the soundtrack. Steve was inspired to figure out how to create a sound on his custom electric cello (named Bruce Lee) that mimicked the Chinese fiddle (Erhu) and the plucked instrument, Guqin. As we often love to do we wanted to include a classical influence. There are over 30 million piano students in China. That's more people than the entire population of Australia! It's probably safe to say the great Polish pianist/composer Frédéric Chopin has more groupies in China than anywhere else. We had been working on an arrangement of his Prelude No. 20 (nicknamed "Chord" or "Funeral" Prelude). It fit the theme and the vibe of Oogway's "Ascension" AWESOMELY (as Po would say). Between it all we wanted a bridge that sounded like a Kung Fu battle. Once the concept had solidified the song seemed to write itself.
We only had a day to film. Wow. Capture the epicness of the Great Wall in 12 hours or less? Add in the challenges of weather (lighting), limited equipment and crew, and, of course, the people climbing the wall -- many were very nice and stayed back as we filmed, but we couldn't keep everyone off which eliminated a lot of shots. We wished we could have done so much more, but we're grateful for what we were able to do.
If you've read to the end of this description then you are unofficially inducted into ThePianoGuys Secret Kung Fu Inner Circle. Skadoosh!
"Oogway Ascends" from the Kung Fu Panda Soundtrack written by Henry Jackman, John Powell & Hans Zimmer
Published by DWA Songs (ASCAP)
ThePianoGuys arrangement produced & written by Al van der Beek, Jon Schmidt & Steven Sharp Nelson
Also based upon & inspired by Frederick Chopin's Prelude Op. 28 No. 20 in C minor
Steven Sharp Nelson: electric, carbon fiber, acoustic & steel cellos; cello-percussion; percussion
Jon Schmidt: Piano
Al van der Beek: Percussion
Additional Tanggu (Taiko) percussion by Gigi Romney
Recorded, mixed and mastered by Al van der Beek at TPG Studios in Utah, U.S.A.
Produced by Paul Anderson
Filmed and Edited by Paul Anderson & Shaye Scott
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Berlin" on
The Piano Guys
- 5:01 The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds Gold 3DS XL Unboxingby PurpleRodri Featured 23,284
- 4:33 Kung Fu Piano: Cello Ascends - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys4,623,612 views
- 20:49 Coldplay - Paradise (Peponi) Behind The Scenes - ThePianoGuysby thepianoguys2399,680 views
- 15:59 "Berlin" Behind The Scenes - ThePianoGuysby thepianoguys2118,195 views
- 49:50 China's Great Wall part I - The Mongol Invasion (full documentary)by FulIDocumentaries165,667 views
- 4:46 Swedish House Mafia - Don't You Worry Child (Khushnuma) - ft. Shweta Subram - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys4,183,713 views
- 3:21 ThePianoGuys in concert (What Makes You Beautiful).by Bride Access111,570 views
- 7:31 Shy Boy and his Friend Shock the Audience with The Prayer - Unbelievableby lordHenryOneandOnly29,131,644 views
- 1:02 Cello Cow Call - ThePianoGuysby thepianoguys2183,194 views
- 15 videos Play all Pianoby Kumeniah
- ThePianoGuys 13 videos2M
- 4:45 Where Are You Christmas? (ft. guest artist, Sarah Schmidt) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys2,172,606 views
- 3:47 Carol of the Bells (for 12 cellos) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys8,470,466 views
- 3:27 Charlie Brown Medley - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys4,086,246 views
- 22:10 Steve Jobs' 2005 Stanford Commencement Address (with intro by President John Hennessy)by StanfordUniversity1,770,914 views
- 6:05 Lord of The Rings - The Hobbit (Piano/Cello Cover) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys6,124,450 views
- 4:56 Coldplay - Paradise (Peponi) African Style (ft. guest artist, Alex Boye) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys21,508,679 views
- 6:24 "Home" Behind The Scenes - ThePianoGuysby thepianoguys262,196 views
- 5:04 Berlin - Original song for 12 cellos (and a kick drum) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys2,601,834 views
- 3:18 Nearer My God to Thee (for 9 cellos) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys6,275,049 views