Sumi-e Painting Lesson Basic
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 16, 2007
This sumi-e video tutorial includes ; ①Preparation for Drawing, ②Draw Bamboo Leaves, ③Side Stroke(Soku-hitsu), ④Size of fude
1. Make sumi ink
Put water in the hole part of suzuri.
Have a sumi bar and dip it into the water.
Grind sumi bar on the no water part of suzuri.
Hold sumi bar with 45 degree toward the surface of suzuri.
Grind sumi bar with very little power and grind it like drawing circle.
Imagine that tiny particle coming out of the ink bar.
The sense of sumi ink rises meanwhile.
Done when the water turns out the black ink.
2. Put sumi into Fude
Put fude into the water.
Put fude onto the clothe in order to wipe water out.
Don't move fude, just put it on softly.
Shape the tip of the hair of fude(fude-saki) sharpened.
Put sumi ink into fude in the suzuri.
Squeeze sumi ink out of fude in the small white plate.
Draw fude on the edge of the small plate, to squeeze sumi out.
3. Calibrate the sumi ink black color
Put the water in fude.
Squeeze water out onto the sumi in the plate and mix it.
Squeeze out the whole mixed sumi-water, which turns out the light black.
Then, ladle that light black sumi into fude.
Dip the fude-saki into the sumi ink in suzuri.
Shape fude on the clothe.
You all set for drawing.
4. Draw Bamboo leaves : The example of straight stroke
Scratch back with the tip of the hair of fude (fude-saki)
Move down fude
Pushing fude onto the paper with moving down. (Two actions : moving and pushing)
The part of pushing fude will be the swell of the bamboo leaf
Then, Pulling fude off gradually along with the down-move of fude.(Two actions : moving and pulling )
Pull fude off with the fude-saki in order to get the bamboo leaf edge.
If you pull fude with the body of fude hair, the edge shape of bamboo leaf will be round.
In the end part of bamboo leaf drawing, fude leans down and the fude hair positioned at your side.
See the video the fude position change along with the fude hair.
5. Side stroke :
Prepare fude ( very very important )
Lean down fude with 0 degree at the paper.
Use the whole fude hair.
This technique apply to the tree trunk.
6. The size of fude
Fude hair is 3.5 cm length.
Made from the weasel.
I use only this size fude for all my works.
The change fude hair shape and control fude movement is essential for sumi-e technique.
日本語 : http://sumi-e.jp/draw/basic.htm
Standard YouTube License
- 10:04 Twisting - a Trick of Chinese Brush Paintingby Henry Li Featured 37,906
- 8:52 Rhododendron Sumi-e - 石楠花 -by kazushimura21,221 views
- 5:34 Orchid dancing for Sumi-e Line Studyby kazushimura39,157 views
- 5:04 Basic Sumi-e Technique First Stepby kazushimura100,986 views
- 3:27 Iris Sumi-e ink Drawing - アヤメ -by kazushimura101,105 views
- 9:56 Basic Strokes of Painting Goldfish in Sumi Ink and Watercolorby Henry Li48,649 views
- 6:38 水墨画 竹 （Sumie１）by tohun kobayashi183,150 views
- 33:28 Here is the Full Version of this Large Bamboo Painting in Normal Speedby Henry Li84,355 views
- 7:50 Chinese Brush Painting Basic Lesson 1:2by Henry Li27,504 views
- 7:39 Chinese Brush Painting Basic Lesson 1:3by Henry Li18,661 views
- 5:24 How to Make Your Own Strokes in Sumi-E Paintingby JerrysArtarama5,648 views
- 8:21 Hot-red Peony - a Chinese Painting Tutorialby Henry Li240,056 views
- 11 videos Play all Sumi-e The Four Gentelmanby mrlundgren1
- 5:53 Bamboo Chinese Brush Painting ("Sumi-e" in Japanese)by Henry Li106,909 views
- 7:25 Iris & Rock part 1 - Chinese Brush Painting by Virginia Lloyd-Daviesby Virginia Lloyd-Davies99,229 views
- 6:29 My Bamboo Sumi-e Brush Painting #4 C eBayStore 4 Detailsby Henry Li29,781 views
- 6:33 How to Make Cordage for Wilderness Survival Part 1by Equip 2 Endure LLC12,796 views
- 4:24 sumi-e bamboo demoby Karen Kurka Jensen12,003 views
- 9:36 Goldfish by Han Jia Xiby Virginia Lloyd-Davies161,319 views
- 9:06 Cosmos Sumi-e - コスモス -by kazushimura23,617 views