Sumi-e Painting Lesson Basic
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 16, 2007
This sumi-e video tutorial includes ; ①Preparation for Drawing, ②Draw Bamboo Leaves, ③Side Stroke(Soku-hitsu), ④Size of fude
1. Make sumi ink
Put water in the hole part of suzuri.
Have a sumi bar and dip it into the water.
Grind sumi bar on the no water part of suzuri.
Hold sumi bar with 45 degree toward the surface of suzuri.
Grind sumi bar with very little power and grind it like drawing circle.
Imagine that tiny particle coming out of the ink bar.
The sense of sumi ink rises meanwhile.
Done when the water turns out the black ink.
2. Put sumi into Fude
Put fude into the water.
Put fude onto the clothe in order to wipe water out.
Don't move fude, just put it on softly.
Shape the tip of the hair of fude(fude-saki) sharpened.
Put sumi ink into fude in the suzuri.
Squeeze sumi ink out of fude in the small white plate.
Draw fude on the edge of the small plate, to squeeze sumi out.
3. Calibrate the sumi ink black color
Put the water in fude.
Squeeze water out onto the sumi in the plate and mix it.
Squeeze out the whole mixed sumi-water, which turns out the light black.
Then, ladle that light black sumi into fude.
Dip the fude-saki into the sumi ink in suzuri.
Shape fude on the clothe.
You all set for drawing.
4. Draw Bamboo leaves : The example of straight stroke
Scratch back with the tip of the hair of fude (fude-saki)
Move down fude
Pushing fude onto the paper with moving down. (Two actions : moving and pushing)
The part of pushing fude will be the swell of the bamboo leaf
Then, Pulling fude off gradually along with the down-move of fude.(Two actions : moving and pulling )
Pull fude off with the fude-saki in order to get the bamboo leaf edge.
If you pull fude with the body of fude hair, the edge shape of bamboo leaf will be round.
In the end part of bamboo leaf drawing, fude leans down and the fude hair positioned at your side.
See the video the fude position change along with the fude hair.
5. Side stroke :
Prepare fude ( very very important )
Lean down fude with 0 degree at the paper.
Use the whole fude hair.
This technique apply to the tree trunk.
6. The size of fude
Fude hair is 3.5 cm length.
Made from the weasel.
I use only this size fude for all my works.
The change fude hair shape and control fude movement is essential for sumi-e technique.
日本語 : http://sumi-e.jp/draw/basic.htm
Standard YouTube License
- 10:04 Twisting - a Trick of Chinese Brush Paintingby blueheronartsFeatured 30,931
- 5:04 Basic Sumi-e Technique First Stepby kazushimura 87,291 views
- 5:34 Orchid dancing for Sumi-e Line Studyby kazushimura 36,321 views
- 1:49 How to Draw Sumi-e Bird & Maple 1 水墨画紅葉by kazushimura 114,513 views
- 19 videos Play all Sumi-e Flowerby kazushimura
- 1:49 Bamboo Sumi-e Drawing 水墨画 竹 描き方by kazushimura 107,384 views
- 9:56 Basic Strokes of Painting Goldfish in Sumi Ink and Watercolorby blueheronarts 39,042 views
- 6:21 How to Draw Orchid in Sumi-e Chinese Brush Paintingby blueheronarts 56,268 views
- 6:38 水墨画 竹 （Sumie１）by tohun01 139,903 views
- 4:10 Iris & Rock part 2 - Chinese Brush Painting by Virginia Lloyd-Daviesby Virginia Lloyd-Davies 134,253 views
- Ink wash painting 3,283 videos74
- 7:03 Sumi Landscape Painting on marbled rice paperby blueheronarts 25,414 views
- 6:29 My Bamboo Sumi-e Brush Painting #4 C eBayStore 4 Detailsby blueheronarts 27,400 views
- 8:21 Hot-red Peony - a Chinese Painting Tutorialby blueheronarts 221,595 views
- 8:47 Peony, Rose, Orchid, and Flowers Chinese painting by Cui Qingguo 02by 367art 346,576 views
- 7:32 Plum Sumi-e Painting - 梅 -by kazushimura 96,007 views
- 9:36 Goldfish by Han Jia Xiby Virginia Lloyd-Davies 150,872 views
- 5:38 How to draw Orchid in Chinese brush painting or Sumi-eby yeqiang 63,133 views
- 7:25 Iris & Rock part 1 - Chinese Brush Painting by Virginia Lloyd-Daviesby Virginia Lloyd-Davies 85,856 views
- 10:26 Bamboo Painting Diagrams and Examples(2)by blueheronarts 19,086 views
- 3:27 Iris Sumi-e ink Drawing - アヤメ -by kazushimura 96,429 views
- 6:19 水墨画 桜 Cherry Blossom Sumi-eby kazushimura 73,930 views
- Loading more suggestions...