X-ray Vision for Aerosol Scientists: LCLS Snapshots of Soot
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 26, 2012
This short conceptual animation depicts how scientists can now simultaneously capture fractal morphology (structure), chemical composition and nanoscale imagery of individual aerosol particles in flight. These particles, known as "PM2.5" because they are smaller than 2.5 microns in diameter, affect climate by interacting with sunlight and impact human health by entering the lungs.
The single LCLS laser pulses travel to the Atomic, Molecular and Optical Sciences (AMO) laboratory in the Near Experimental Hall. As we zoom in, we see deep inside a simplified aerosol inlet, where the complex fractal structure of the soot particles, each one completely unique, is shown. Individual soot particles are then delivered into the pulses of the LCLS beam, which destroys them.
X-rays are scattered to the detector before the particle is destroyed, giving information about the morphology of the particle. Ion fragments released in the explosion are sent into a mass spectrometer, which measures their mass-to-charge ratio -- giving scientists information about the chemical composition of the particle. Many different particles are analyzed in this manner, allowing scientists to probe variations in the particles due to changes in their environment before being sent through the aerosol inlet.
The final visual of aerosols emitted from a factory is representative of the goal that such LCLS aerosol dynamics experiments can provide critical feedback into modeling and understanding combustion, aerosol processes in manufacturing or aerosol effects on climate change.
Read SLAC News Release "X-ray Vision Exposes Aerosol Structures": https://news.slac.stanford.edu/press-...
Read more about the Linac Coherent Light Source (LCLS): http://lcls.slac.stanford.edu/WhatIsL...
Animation by Gregory Stewart, SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory
Scientific Advisers: Michael Bogan & Duane Loh, SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory
Music: "Candlepower" by Chris Zabriski, freemusicarchive.org
Standard YouTube License
- 41:29 From the Archives: Fabricating the Linear Acceleratorby SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory Featured 1,657
- 1:08:53 Public Lecture—Magnetic Movies: Watching Memory Bits Danceby SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory671 views
- 1:05:48 SLAC: 50 Years on the Frontier, 1962-2012by SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory671 views
- 1:01:13 SLAC Colloquium—Why Look for the Higgs?by SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory4,959 views
- 1:07:27 Dr. Ilya Perlingieri The Environment/Chemtrails Lecture 2012by John Graf3,621 views
- 1:22:31 Public Lecture—Cosmic Accelerators: Engines of the Extreme Universeby SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory3,802 views
- 5:49 AEROSOL EXPERIMENT , LOOKIN FOR CHROMEby Tufdog's Place2,622 views
- 1:22:05 Public Lecture—Big Machines and Big Science: 80 Years of Accelerators at Stanfordby SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory877 views
- 1:06:00 Public Lecture—Making Molecular Movies: 10,000,000,000,000 Frames per Secondby SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory1,517 views
- 1:02:52 Public Lecture—Journey to the Center of the Earthby SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory3,113 views
- 1:02:23 Public Lecture—ZAP! The X-Ray Laser is Bornby SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory1,790 views
- 1:07:31 Public Lecture—Leading the Charge: Exotic New Materials for Future Devicesby SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory1,270 views
- 1:22:49 Public Lecture—Molecules in the Spotlightby SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory560 views
- 1:14:55 Public Lecture—Water: The Strangest Liquidby SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory12,503 views
- 55:04 Public Lecture—LCLS: Ultrafast Scienceby SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory1,203 views
- 8:42 Aerosol Cone Line (태양)by sscan1000875 views
- 1:13 LCLS Flydown Timelapseby SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory7,242 views
- 1:08:16 Public Lecture—Particle Accelerator on a Chipby SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory3,332 views
- 2:27 Breakthrough: X-ray Laser Captures Atoms and Molecules in Actionby SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory1,804 views
- 10:57 Love Recipe - Soot Sanae Ha: ep 2 [1-9]by Anne Thongprasom4,582 views
- Loading more suggestions...