The Evolution of Human Minds
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 31, 2011
A lecture by William H. Calvin, a professor at the University of Washington in Seattle. The beyond-the-apes story starts about 7 million years ago. To understand the emergence of mind -- and particularly the higher aspects of consciousness that so set us apart from the rest of the animal kingdom -- we need to understand what the great apes are capable of. And what they don't do.
It is just in the last 1 percent of that up-from-the-apes period that human creativity and technological capabilities have really blossomed. It's been called "The Mind's Big Bang." In our usual expansive sense of "mind," the history of the mind is surprisingly brief, certainly when compared with the long increase in brain size and the halting march of tool making. What came before was not, as we usually assume, a series of increasing approximations to the modern mind. So what set the stage for this creative explosion?
We tend to see ourselves as the narrator of a life story, always situated at a crossroads between past and future, swimming in speculation. We can construct alternative explanations for how we got where we are, emphasizing one aspect or another as a path. Looking ahead, we imagine various trajectories. We refine our guesses, editing out the nonsense, and achieve a clearer glimpse of our crossroad choices.
Because our less imaginative ancestors couldn't think about the future in much detail, they were trapped in a here-and-now existence. They could anticipate routine happenings (like meals), but not in our extended sense of speculation and worry. No "what if" and "why me?" They were conscious in the sense of choosing between alternative courses of action, but with their unstructured type of mental life, you couldn't narrate a life story or conceive of dying someday. Without creative intelligence, there's no crossroad and no end of the road.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:52:35 Human Evolution ALIEN hybrid the REAL X-MEN (REAL PROOF)by CYBIRD0787,440 views
- 51:09 New History of Humanity - Astounding Scientific Discoveriesby Deek Jackson159,252 views
- 49:02 Neanderthals: Human Extinction | BBC Documentary | Animal & Natureby DocumentaryManiac374,618 views
- 17:03 The New History of Humanity Part 1 - "Kill it, cook it, eat it"by Deek Jackson78,404 views
- 1:17:35 Redefining Chimpanzees: Understanding Human Evolution on the Savannaby TheLeakeyFoundation1,141 views
- 1:07:57 Terence Mckenna - The Gaian Mind, Evolving Times and Human Evolutionby EtherealExposition2,691 views
- 43:13 Has Human Evolution Stopped?by אוניברסיטת חיפה - University of Haifa1,826 views
- 52:23 Homo Sapiens: The Birth of Humanity HD | NOVA Documentaryby DocumentaryNation269,577 views
- 46:28 CLIMATE DENIAL : Humanity's Fatal Flaw?by William H. Calvin1,074 views
- 32:42 Robert Trivers and Noam Chomsky - Deceit and Self-deceptionby infiniteinfiniteinfi3,279 views
- 1:52:05 Evolution - What Darwin Never Knew - NOVA PBS Documentaryby cocokoreena139,779 views
- 42:59 From Big Bang to Man (Cassiopeia Project)by bdw500068,819 views
- 46:04 The Human Family Treeby dmthead2012133,821 views
- 59:05 BBC - The Incredible Human Journey -1 of 5 -Out of Africa_arc.aviby Carlos Noetzold197,102 views
- 23:21 TIMN in 20 minutes: social evolution — past, present, and futureby David Ronfeldt1,567 views
- 1:39:08 EVOLUCIÓN DEL GÉNERO HOMOby Wegener Tesla43,681 views
- 1:04:27 Evolution of Mind and Brainby The University of Arizona37,005 views
- 1:03:00 Evolution - Human Body Evolutionary Patchwork (Dr. Walker)by pangeaprogressredux467 views
- 29:11 Power of Subconscious Mind Power Techniques SHOCKING Programming Explained thoughts ebook pdfby 11newlaws863,183 views
- 1:02:41 Understanding the Brain: A work in progress - Professor Keith Kendrickby GreshamCollege55,707 views
- Loading more suggestions...