This video is unavailable.
Rihanna "Umbrella" - Angklung/Bamboo Version
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 21, 2007
Live at Anugerah Era 2007 [ASTRO RIA].
Please *DO NOT* post racist comments, they will be deleted. Just enjoy discussing the music and the cultures!
ABOUT ANGKLUNG :
Angklung is a musical instrument made out of two bamboo tubes attached to a bamboo frame. The tubes are carved so that they have a resonant pitch when struck. The two tubes are tuned to octaves. The base of the frame is held with one hand while the other hand shakes the instrument rapidly from side to side. This causes a rapidly repeating note to sound. Thus each of three or more angklung performers in an ensemble will play just one note and together complete melodies are produced. Angklung is popular throughout Southeast Asia, but originated from Indonesia (used and played by the Sundanese since the ancient times).
The Angklung got more international attention when Daeng Soetigna, from Bandung, West Java, expanded the angklung notations not only to play traditional pélog or sléndro scales, but also diatonic scale in 1938. Since then, angklung is often played together with other western music instruments in an orchestra. One of the first well-known performances of angklung in an orchestra was during the Bandung Conference in 1955. A few years later, Udjo Ngalagena, a student of Daeng Soetigna, opened his "Saung Angklung" (House of Angklung) in 1966 as centre of its development.
In Bali, an ensemble of angklung is called gamelan angklung (anklung). The instruments are tuned to a 5-tone slendro scale, though actually most ensembles use a four-tone mode of the five-tone scale (an exception would be five-tone angklung from the north of Bali, as researched by Ruby Ornstein in the 1960s.) While the ensemble gets its name from the bamboo shakers, these days most compositions for Gamelan Angklung do not use them. An ensemble of mostly bronze metallophones is used instead.
In Hindu period and Padjajaran kingdom era, Sundanese people used the angklung to sign the time for prayer. Later, Padjajaran kingdom use this instrument as corps music in Bubat War (Perang Bubat).
Angklung functioned as building the peoples community spirit. It was still used by the Sundanese until the colonial era (Dutch East Indies, V.O.C). Because of the colonial times, the Dutch East Indies government tried to forbid people playing the angklung instrument.
Because it was forbidden to play angkung during this time, the popularity of the instrument decreased and it came to be played only by children in this era.
In the early 20th century, the angklung was adopted in Thailand, where it is called angkalung (อังกะลุง). The Thai angklung are typically tuned in the Thai tuning system of seven equidistant steps per octave, and each angklung has three bamboo tubes tuned in three separate octaves rather than two, as is typical in Indonesia.
Angklung had also been adopted by its Austronesian neighbours, inparticularly Malaysia and the Philippines, where they are rather played as part of bamboo xylophone orchestras. They are generally played using a pentatonic scale similar to the Indonesian slendro, although in the Philippines, sets also come in the diatric and minor scales used to perform various Spanish-influenced folk music.
Standard YouTube License
- 50 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 5:30 Angklung We are the Champions Bandung Javaby favenchiFeatured 39,262
- 3:20 Bojo Loro - Music Angklung Malioboro.mp4by fauzi alfa alfi 36,524 views
- 52 videos Play all Angklungby 99chm
- 2:35 Angklung HH Mission Impossibleby ariyusuf 49,705 views
- 1:28 World Record Angklung Ensemble-Washington, DCby ambrosianbeads 19,503 views
- 8:40 Join us: Angklung for World Record at Indonesian Festival July 9, 2011by KBRI DC 16,857 views
- 14:42 The Largest Angklung Ensemble @ Washington D.Cby dyan wibowo 15,001 views
- Rihanna 5 videos69K
- 8:35 Bamboo Angklung concert Beethoven symphony №５ by Indah Putriby assmjapan 29,893 views
- 7:34 Saung Angklung Udjo - Bandung, Java, Indonesia Part 1 - produced by Henny Renesby Henny Renes 16,106 views
- 3:15 Angklung Orchester Hamburg in Concertby Maulana Syuhada 71,708 views
- 3:05 Angklung Hamburg - Indonesian Day - Pileuleuyanby Angklung Hamburg 36,756 views
- 4:37 Titanic with angklung instrumentby Ritiva Roma 39,447 views
- 5:36 Mission Impossible Music ala Gamelan from Indonesiaby John Oei 360,535 views
- 12:13 Musik Angklung Malioboroby Smk Muh Semin 5,726 views
- 3:47 Justin Bieber bermain Angklungby Kabelan Kunia 21,278 views
- 3:06 40 Days in Europe: Indonesia Raya (Aberdeen)by 40daysineurope 23,425 views
- 7:56 toy angklung (umbrella), man kidal & hattanby kin2109 13,330 views
- 1:23 Bamboo Musical Instruments, Reunification Palace, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. January 2006.wmvby 5eyesproductions 65,730 views
- 5:46 Angklung World Record Shakes up DCby billy7163 10,885 views
- 3:22 Angklung - Indonesia Rayaby Jefferson Kuesar 14,667 views
- 10:31 SAMBASUNDA in Shibuya O-EAST サンバスンダ 日本初来日公演！！by ConversationandCom 20,396 views
- Loading more suggestions...