"Shadow of the Argonath" by Chance Thomas
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 29, 2012
Composer Chance Thomas was kind enough to offer his insights on "Shadow of the Argonath"
"This piece was written to underscore the players' exploration in the East Wall region.
The music begins with a slow and slightly unfocused version of the Gondor theme played on French Horns and Uilleann Pipes, representing an erosion of Gondor's vision and leadership among the men of the West. The theme wants to rise in nobility, power, might and strength. We can hear it reaching, stretching, striving, even striking a stout cadence for a moment. But it cannot sustain! Stewards alone can never muster the stateliness necessary to bear off the theme (nor the world of men) in full splendor. Uilleann Pipes echo off into the distance, suggesting the long gone majesty that once was the throne of Gondor.
And then, about 1:05 into the track, there is an injection of hope. We get a second rendition of Gondor's theme that's a little more focused, a little more pure, played on Penny Whistle and Uillean Pipes. The Penny Whistle represents Frodo and the race of Hobbits. Frodo brings hope for the world as he aligns himself with the nobler interests of men. The Pipes represent the glories of Gondor (specifically the past glories of Gondor's kings), represented now by Aragorn in his support for Frodo and the quest. The two instruments interlace and support one another, symbolic of how the fates of the two men and their respective races are now unavoidably intertwined.
Close to 2:00 minutes in, there is a gently climactic rise toward hope... but then doubt as the Pipes and Penny Whistle both echo off into an unknown future. And lest we forget that there's peril in the East Wall, we have the voice of the Bass Recorder, the low drum and slightly dissonant strings to bring us back to present dangers.
Nevertheless, the Horn and Whistle rise together one last time in unity and understanding, then ultimately continue apart as the Whistle (Frodo) quietly disappears and the Horn (Gondor) carries on toward Rohan with a determined resolution."
Standard YouTube License
- 3:25 "Theme for Rohan" by Chance Thomasby lordoftherings35,174 views
- 3:04 "Learning to Ride" by Chance Thomasby lordoftherings27,146 views
- 2:56 "Horse Lords of Norcrofts" by Chance Thomasby lordoftherings24,737 views
- 2:33 "LOTRO Legacy" by Chance Thomasby lordoftherings67,083 views
- 3:49 LoTRO Theme For Rohan- Violin (Taylor Davis)by Taylor Davis426,013 views
- Chance Thomas 220 videos8
- 3:57 The Great Guild Wars 2 Countdown - Day 59by WoodenPotatoes26,733 views
- 39:08 LOTRO Helm's Deep Beta Helm's Dike Epic Battleby PvMPAndang19,979 views
- 1:12:45 Star Trek TNG 25th Anniversary Reunion Panel 2012 HDby Nai Wang131,285 views
- 8 videos Play all Lord of the Rings Online: Riders of Rohan Soundtrackby Anjuinked
- 15:00 LOTRO - Draigoch's Lair - Nimrodel(1/2)by matt sains8,193 views
- 12:27 Weatherstock IV (2012)by Bards, Beers, & Longbeards2,965 views
- 6:17 STAR WARS™: The Old Republic™ - 'Return' Cinematic Trailerby swtheoldrepublic550,986 views
- 13:31 Top 10: The Legend of Zelda Songs of All Gamesby zaalcihtta19,057 views
- 4:27 The Sound of Rohanby lordoftherings10,913 views
- 40:13 Draigoch Tanking Tutorialby Eric Albrecht20,787 views
- 8:01 LOTRO: Bag End to Lothlórien w/Musicby justin3d6,343 views
- 18:48 Restoring Tone to Double Reeds by Interior Reshapingby Dayepipes1,360 views
- 7:55 Lord of the Rings Online: Riders of Rohan Previewby The Escapist6,477 views
- 24:57 Lord of the Rings Online Gameplay | First Impressions HDby MMO Attack91,404 views