Pick Up The Pieces - Average White Band (1974)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 28, 2010
"Pick Up The Pieces" was a 1974 song by the Average White Band from their second album, "AWB". The principal composer of the track was founding member and saxophonist Roger Ball. It was the group's most successful song, and features one of the most recognizable grooves in funk music. It is essentially an instrumental, apart from the song's title being shouted at several points in the song. "Pick Up The Pieces" was first released in the United Kingdom in July 1974 but failed to make an impression on the charts. When the entire album was released in the United States in October 1974, radio stations started to pick up on the song, and on 22 February 1975, it went to the top of the U.S. singles chart and peaked at number five on the soul charts. After its U.S. success, the song charted in the U.K. and climbed to number six. "Pick Up The Pieces" also made it to number eleven on the U.S. disco chart. Average White Band (also known as AWB) is a Scottish funk and R&B band, who had a series of soul and disco hits between 1974 and 1980. AWB was formed in early 1972 by Alan Gorrie (born 19 July 1946, Perth, Scotland) and Malcolm 'Molly' Duncan (born 24 August 1945, Montrose, Scotland), with Owen 'Onnie' McIntyre (born 25 September 1945, Lennoxtown, Scotland), Hamish Stuart (born 8 October 1949, Glasgow, Scotland), Roger Ball (born 4 June 1944, Broughty Ferry, Scotland) and Robbie McIntosh (born 6 May 1950, Dundee, Scotland — died 23 September 1974) joining them in the original line-up. The band's breakthrough was a support slot at Eric Clapton's comeback concert in 1973. MCA Records released their debut album, "Show Your Hand", which sold poorly. Bruce McCaskill, who was Clapton's tour manager, liked the band's music and agreed to manage them. He borrowed money to take them to the U.S. and to promote them. McCaskill had many contacts from his days with Clapton and managed to get Atlantic Records to sign them. The band relocated to New York, signed to Atlantic and released their follow-up, "AWB", better known as "The White Album". This album was the first of many with renowned producer Arif Mardin, and reached #1 in the U.S. Hot 100 chart. In early 1975, the single "Pick Up The Pieces" reached #1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart. The song knocked Linda Ronstadt's "You're No Good" out of #1 and sold over one million copies. It was awarded a gold disc by the R.I.A.A. in March 1975. McIntosh died of an accidental heroin overdose at a Los Angeles party on 23 September 1974. McIntosh was replaced by Steve Ferrone (born 25 April 1950, Brighton, England), previously of Bloodstone. As of 2010, and almost forty years after their formation, the group continues to perform. This channel is dedicated to all the great 'old school' R&B music I grew up with, the stuff that originally made me tap my feet and want to be a DJ. Funk, soul, disco, R&B, dance, hip-hop, pop . . . 60s, 70s, 80s . . . whatever you call it, it's all 'Old School' and it's all here!
See my videos featuring the Roots of Rap at:
If you like relaxing with some classic Cool Jazz, go to:
To explore the world of The DJ Cafe, go to:
If you love jamming to some great Classic Rock, check out:
Check out my newer music videos and other fun stuff at:
Check out my news videography stuff at:
Also, check out my youngest daughter (the world's youngest video producer) at:
To stay updated about all my projects, please join my Facebook fan page:
And coming in January 2011 . . .
DJ Buddy Love presents LONGEVITY . . .
A world record club DJ mixing marathon charity event . . .
121 hours nonstop to benefit cancer research . . .
Live to the world via UStream, Facebook, YouTube & Twitter . . .
More details coming soon . . .
Copyright 1974 Atlantic Records
All Rights Reserved
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Pick Up The Pieces (Single Short Edit Version)" on
Average White Band
- 45 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Pick Up The Pieces - Average White Band (1974)
- 8:11 Average White Band - Pick up the piecesby whatiship732,092,904 views
- 7:28 The Grooveline (1978)by dantoine931,546,137 views
- 4:51 Average White Band - Cut the Cakeby soultrain158,434 views
- 7:39 Grand Funk Railroad -- Heartbreaker -- 1974by JohninFunk196,622 views
- 21:09 Phil Collins Big Band - Pick up the Piecesby PH2007SAX112,245 views
- 4:57 Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry (1976)by djbuddyloveoldschool8,159,504 views
- 102 videos Play all Funky Grooveby LakomLacenSi
- 6:36 Average White Band ~ Cloudyby Intimateblond170,263 views
- 4:20 Curtis Mayfield - Give Me Your Loveby Pierre Richard331,104 views
- 14:46 Candy Dulfer - Pick Up The Pieces (Part 1)by MrAkdnt497,780 views
- 3:26 The Commodores-Brick Houseby merlotje5,093,129 views
- 4:52 Kool & the Gang - Get Down On Itby zac deffos6,428,226 views
- 3:32 Get Off - Foxy (1978)by djbuddyloveoldschool345,461 views
- 6:54 Average White Band - Pick Up The Pieces (1977)by duderock48862,290 views
- 4:49 AWB - School Boy Crushby tuberider1976281,689 views
- 4:37 Hollywood Swinging - Kool & The Gang (1973)by djbuddyloveoldschool370,287 views
- 5:07 Average White Band ~ If I Ever Lose This Heaven (1975)by TVchannel02162,971 views
- 22:18 Average White Band - Work To Do_Pick Up the Pieces_Cut the Cakeby MyyyClips256,841 views
- 3:54 Curtis Mayfield - Superflyby Pierre Richard2,635,842 views
- 8:11 Good Times - Chic (1979)by djbuddyloveoldschool1,303,819 views