Apple Pie Recipe - Southern Queen of Vegan Cuisine 14/328
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 14, 2013
Today we will be making the Apple Pie Recipe from Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible vegan. My thoughts, ingredients, measurements, and directions are available below.
Day 14 Recipe 14 Southern Queen of Vegan Cuisine:
If you have been watching my channel for a while, you know that I love all the freaking apples. Maybe I should own an apple orchard one day. Somebody told me that there were more than 7,000 varieties of apples worldwide. That is quite a lot, but maybe I could try to eat one of every type of apple grown in the United States. Maybe all the ones in each state, one state at a time.
Back to the topic of the apple pie, pies can be hard to make. Mainly because they have a crust. In order to make a crust, you must work with dough. Dough can be a nasty nasty biz-notch. Let alone trying to make a "good" flaky crust. It is all madness to me. I would rather have a cobbler any day. Ummmm, Apple Cobbler. But since people are in love with the great American Apple Pie, we will make them one. I even went a step further and attempted a lattice crust. Fancy, huh?
Apple Pie Recipe
2 batches Piecrust Dough (store bought or recipe below)
6 apples (3 pounds) peeled, cored, and diced
1/2 cup raw sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegan butter
Place one layer of rolled out piecrust dough in the pie pan. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes along with the top piecrust rolled out flat on a baking sheet.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Put aluminum foil over the piecrust in the pie pan and fill the cavity with dry beans (not intended to be consumed).
Bake the bottom piecrust for 20 minutes.
While it is baking, prepare the apple filling.
Throw all the diced apples into a bowl. Add raw sugar, all purpose flour, cinnamon, vanilla extract, nutmeg, ginger, and salt.
Stir to combine, but not to mush the apples.
When the crust is done baking, remove it from the oven. Leave the oven on.
Remove the beans and foil from the crust and place on bits of vegan butter.
Pour on the apple filling.
Cut 1 inch strips in the layer of pastry dough rolled out flat on the baking sheet.
Lay four strips across the top of the pie horizontally and weave 4 more strips through the others vertically.
Brush the top crust with vegan butter if you so desire.
Bake the pie 45-50 minutes until golden brown.
Take it out the oven, and eat the entire thing. Okay, I ate the whole thing, but you should probably just eat a slice.
Flaky Pie Crust Dough Recipe
Make 1 9 inch piecrust
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons vegan butter, diced
4 tablespoons trans fat free vegetable shortening, diced
4 to 6 tablespoons ice water
Pulse together all purpose flour and salt in a food processor.
Pulse together the flour, vegan butter, and vegetable shortening bits in the food processer until the mixture resembles corn meal.
Add ice water one tablespoon at a time until rough dough starts to form.
Place the dough onto plastic wrap, form it into a disk, and seal it tightly.
Refrigerate the disk for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
When you are ready to use, roll the dough out between to sheets of parchment paper to the size of your pie pan.
Place the dough into the pie pan and form it to the pan.
Refrigerate again for 30 minutes, before blind baking or filling directly with fruit.
About The Southern Queen of Vegan Cuisine Project: Inspired by the Julie and Julia Project, the Southern Queen of Vegan Cuisine will take on the Paula Deen Southern Cooking Bible. Vegan-izing 328 butter-laden, pork-filled recipes in 328 days.
About The Sweetest Vegan: I'm just a little lady getting dirty in the kitchen; teaching you how to cook healthier meals without sacrificing taste, texture, culture, or cupcakes. Vegan Culinary & Pastry Artist. Southern Belle. Master of Public Health. YouTube Next Chef.
Standard YouTube License
Next in The Southern Queen of Vegan Cuisine Project - 328 recipes
- 9:49 Raj Kachori Recipe videoby Nisha Madhulika Featured 33,273
- 3:37 Kale Cake Recipe - Vegan Dessert Baking - Sweet Potato Filling - Cream Cheese Buttercreamby Tasha Edwards12,868 views
- 3:32 McDonalds Southern Style Crispy Chicken Sandwich Homemade Vegan-Vegetarianby Tasha Edwards26,204 views
- 4:03 McDonalds Filet-O-Fish Sandwich Homemade Vegan-Vegetarianby Tasha Edwards24,238 views
- 1:16:34 40 Year Vegan Dies of a Heart Attack! Why? The Omega-3 and B12 Myth with Dr. Michael Gregerby Michael Lanfield Raw Vegan Fruitarian138,570 views
- 17:43 How to make Apple Pie recipe Pastry & Fillingby Original Naked Chef4,299 views
- 7:26 Яблочный пирогby neravu228,750 views
- 6:46 How to: Apple Pie Step by Stepby Kendraa29,755 views
- 15:24 Pie Crust Recipe Demonstration - Joyofbaking.comby Joy of Baking344,178 views
- 9:22 APPLE PIE RECIPEby JordysCooking6,309 views
- 4:13 Pay de Manzana - Mi Recetaby Mi Cocina Rapida41,178 views
- 1:32:00 Dedication Weekend - 06 - Moses Mason - Finishing The Workby Maschil639 views
- 9:47 Pay de manzana - Apple Pieby Cocina al Natural217,212 views
- 7:24 Raw Apple Pieby SweetPotatoSoul5,083 views
- 15:57 Apple Pie Recipe Demonstration - Joyofbaking.comby Joy of Baking414,608 views
- 16:58 Pie Crust Recipe Tutorial Demonstration: How to Make Tender, Flaky Pie Crustby Jordan Vineyard & Winery32,399 views
- 4:41 Pastel de vegetales - recetas de cocina vegetarianaby Cocina al Natural32,959 views
- 10:10 Chilli Paneer (Vegetarian Recipe) a milder; but very tasty version of this dinner party favourite.by mr0762344567833,546 views
- 7:44 Paula Gloria's Mom's Apple Pieby paulagloria11,091 views