How To Julienne
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 12, 2008
Watch more Food Preparation Tips, Tricks, & Techniques videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/195-Foo...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://howc.st/uLaHRS
Learn to cut vegetables into small, even strips, a technique known as julienning.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://howc.st/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Health Channel - http://howc.st/HOE3aY
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://howc.st/tYKKrk
Howcast Tech Channel - http://howc.st/rx9FwR
Howcast Food Channel - http://howc.st/umBoJX
Howcast Arts & Recreation Channel - http://howc.st/vmB86i
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://howc.st/vKjUjm
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://howc.st/vbbNt3
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Step 1: Wash & peel
Wash and peel the vegetable, if necessary.
Step 2: Grasp knife
Grasp the knife in your dominant hand, holding the handle close to the blade with three fingers: your middle, ring, and pinkie. Curl your forefinger around one side of the blade while holding your thumb on the opposite side.
Step 3: Hold vegetable
With your non-knife-wielding hand, hold the vegetable firmly on the cutting board close to the area you will cut.
Curl your fingers so that the tips are firmly planted on the vegetable and the knuckles point outward—in the food world, this is called the 'claw grip'.
Step 4: Cut ends
Cut off the ends of the vegetable.
Step 5: Determine length
Determine the length of julienne your recipe calls for—2 inches or smaller is the standard—and cut the vegetable crosswise into sections of that length.
Step 6: Cut sides
Cut off the sides of one section. It should now resemble a block with 4 long flat surfaces—this will make it easier to cut uniform pieces.
Keep the point of the knife on the board and use a steady rocking motion to slice—not saw—the vegetable with the full length of the blade.
Step 7: Cut lengthwise
Cut the sections lengthwise into uniform slabs 1/16 of an inch thick.
Try to hold the sections together evenly—it makes for a neater cut.
Step 8: Stack slabs & cut
Stack the slabs on top of each other and—again holding them evenly—cut them lengthwise into sticks that are 1/16 of an inch wide.
Did You Know?
Julienne is a popular French girl's name meaning 'youthful'—and that's true.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:44 How To Batonby HowcastFeatured 31,142
- 1:43 How To Chop Garlicby Howcast 175,704 views
- 2:07 How To Large Diceby Howcast 8,109 views
- 3:03 How To Chop an Onionby Howcast 80,912 views
- 2:53 How to Julienne Bell Pepperby geobeats 6,547 views
- 20 videos Play all Knife skillsby giantsfans101
- 0:48 Cooking Tips : How to Julienne Cucumbersby cookingguide 496,490 views
- 1:29 How to Julienne Carrots For Dummiesby fordummies 12,744 views
- 2:18 Knife Skills - How to Julienne an Onionby mahalodotcom 13,229 views
- 1:08 How To Julienne An Onionby Jacob Burton 60,079 views
- 5:21 Knife Skills - How to Julienne a Potatoby mahalodotcom 6,857 views
- 2:57 How To Dice, Julienne, Brunoise & Batonnetby Jacob Burton 43,533 views
- 1:10 KNIFE SKILLS: HOW TO JULIENNE CARROTSby Greatfoodvideos 186,806 views
- 1:49 How-To Tuesday: Julienneby Mario Batali 975 views
- 1:04 Julienne Brunoiseby ChefNBaker 4,246 views
- 1:00 How To Prepare Vegetables : Julienne Carrotsby expertvillage 37,819 views
- 1:43 How To Chiffonadeby Howcast 55,403 views
- 0:55 How To Tell If You Have Bad Breathby Howcast 304,572 views
- 1:11 How to Julienne - CHOW How Toby CHOW 12,328 views
- Julienning 1,255 videos30
- 0:30 Cooking Tips : How to Julienne Green Bell Peppersby cookingguide 8,436 views
- 1:23 Yan Can Cookby shinfeels 276,396 views
- Loading more suggestions...