Hong Kong Kai Tak Airport (1925 - 1998) 香港啟德機場
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 24, 2007
First of all, this is a collection from YouTube. I would like to thank all the enthusiasts from YouTube especially Mr. Boyd Kelly (airboyd of YouTube) which I used their best fragments to make this special Kai Tak video. Background music is from "633 Squadron" by Mr. Ron Goodwin.
Kai Tak Airport VHHH (1925 - 1998) VHHX (since 1998) "traditional Chinese: 啟德機場" was the world's busiest international airport. The growth of Hong Kong put a strain on the airport's capacity. The airport was designed to handle 24 million passengers per year but in 1996, Kai Tak had already handled 29.5 million passengers, plus 1.56 million tonnes of freight, making it the third busiest airport in the world in terms of passenger traffic, and first in terms of cargo. However extremely busy Kai Tak was located in the city center, the Kowloon City "九龍城" (The city of nine dragons "city surrounded by nine mountains"), around by high density buildings, numerous skyscrapers and rugged mountains reaching an altitude of 2000 ft. with single narrow runway (13/31) very close to taxiway jutting out into Victoria Harbour, and further less than 10 Km is Hong Kong Island, another densely populated area with hills up to 2100 ft. The only way approach to Runway 13 was a sharp 47-degree right turn before and of the same level with the checkerboard (a small hill painted with red and white checkerboard at 1:18) at about 100-meter altitude then align with the runway. Often with strong crosswinds, the airport was infamously difficult to land at. However, due to the same reasons, only experience pilots were chosen for the challenging approach and air crash incidents rarely occur.
The low altitude manoeuvre was so spectacular that crowded streets of people, multi-storey buildings, vehicles and pavements can easily be "touch". I can hear "WOW" or "My God" from passengers when they aware of the home decorations through apartment windows which is of the same level with the aircraft like flickering of televisions even children say "Hi" to them before landing. In this video, you can found the most extremely landing, but these happened several hundred times per day, and was just the real daily life of Hong Kong people.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:05 HQ - Landing A 747 At The OLD Hong Kong Airport - HAIRY!by Holden McGroyne's channelFeatured 75,482
- 7:43 Kai Tak Checkerboard approach Old HKG Airportby James Weatherly 426,467 views
- 3:09 scary airportby Gary Dyson 3,292,575 views
- 7:00 10 Worlds Most Dangerous Airportsby greaney123 9,696,385 views
- 5:13 Kai Tak Extreme Landingsby manbird12000 3,614,673 views
- 2:31 BRITISH AIRWAYS Concorde at Kai Tak (1996)by JustPlanes 81,621 views
- 0:21 F1 - IMPOSSIBLE return !by nahuron 1,161,255 views
- 5:36 10 WORLDS MOST DANGEROUS AIRPORTS HD 1080pby Fernando Galue 572,402 views
- 1:46 747 Aircraft Crash - 4 Nov 1993 at Kai Tak Airport (RTHK)by chi hung Chan 677,348 views
- 1:25 Girls Blown on the Beach in St. Maarten! HOT!by pcdmint's channel 5,218,607 views
- 0:29 KAI TAK CRAZY LANDINGby fs9rocks 1,530,208 views
- 9:31 Hong Kong International Airport Master Plan 2030by hkairportofficial 202,152 views
- 7:19 World's Best Airports 2012 - Top 20 from Skytraxby TopSpyder 611,039 views
- 1:10 World's Most Dangerous landing 2011.11.1by DavidLTG 728,175 views
- 0:56 Air crash In the comores island caused by hijackersby nizar7 14,126,286 views
- 2:29 World's Most Dangerous Airports (Kai Tak Approach Simulated)by Jon5700 5,017,392 views
- 4:34 Real Landing at Hong Kong Kai Tak 13by delta744 164,185 views
- 2:13 Difficult Airports in the Worldby inbox4allchannel 463,551 views
- 1:42 HKG_AB6 Rwy07L ILS Landing Heavy Rain Hong Kongby jd wu 763,648 views
- 25:10 CARRIER LANDING MISHAPS 9002by PeriscopeFilm 32,225 views
- Loading more suggestions...