(1/5) Timewatch The Princess Spy World War II
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 8, 2009
Khan was a wartime British secret agent of Indian descent who was the first female radio operator sent into Nazi-occupied France by the Special Operations Executive (SOE). She was arrested and eventually killed by the Gestapo.
Noor Inayat Khan was born on New Year's Day 1914 in Moscow to an Indian father and an American mother. She was a direct descendant of Tipu Sultan, the celebrated eighteenth century Muslim ruler of Mysore. Khan's father was a musician and Sufi teacher. He moved his family first to London and then to Paris, where Khan was educated and later worked writing childrens' stories. Khan escaped to England after the fall of France and in November 1940 she joined the WAAF (the Women's Auxiliary Air Force). In late 1942, she was recruited to join SOE as a radio operator. Although some of those who trained her were unsure about her suitability, in June 1943 she was flown to France to become the radio operator for the 'Prosper' resistance network in Paris, with the codename "Madeleine". Many members of the network were arrested shortly afterwards but she chose to remain in France and spent the summer moving from place to place, trying to send messages back to London while avoiding capture.
In October Khan was betrayed by a Frenchwoman and arrested by the Gestapo. She had unwisely kept copies of all her secret signals and the Germans were able to use her radio to trick London into sending new agents - straight into the hands of the waiting Gestapo. Khan escaped from prison but was recaptured a few hours later. In November 1943, she was sent to Pforzheim prison in Germany where she was kept in chains and in solitary confinement. Despite repeated torture, she refused to reveal any information. In September 1944, Khan and three other female SOE agents were transferred to Dachau concentration camp where on 13 September they were shot.
For her courage, in 1949 Noor Khan was posthumously awarded the George Cross
Standard YouTube License
- 46:45 Greatest Mysteries of WWII: Hitler's Sunken Secretby Superior HistoryFeatured 135,741
- 10:01 (1/5) Timewatch The Spies that Fooled Hitler World War IIby 2bn442RCT 47,476 views
- 10:01 (3/5) Timewatch The Princess Spy World War IIby 2bn442RCT 9,706 views
- 10:01 (1/5) Timewatch The Hunt for U-864 World War IIby 2bn442RCT 86,812 views
- 10:01 (1/5) Timewatch Emperor Hirohito World War IIby World War II Videos 51,123 views
- 10:00 (2/5) Timewatch The Spies that Fooled Hitler World War IIby 2bn442RCT 31,282 views
- 5 videos Play all ((02))Timewatch The Hunt for U-864 World War IIby 2bn442RCT
- 57:30 Timewatch - The Real Bonnie and Clydeby lampa1202 235,390 views
- 48:03 The Gladiator Graveyardby docufans 223,819 views
- 10:01 (1/5) Timewatch The Battle of the River Plate World War IIby 2bn442RCT 30,517 views
- 9:56 Timewatch - Ten Pound Poms (1/6)by wantedownunder 13,420 views
- 8:19 (5/5) Timewatch The Hunt for U-864 World War IIby 2bn442RCT 33,158 views
- 45:04 Confusion Was Their Business.by Rick H 18,878 views
- 10:01 (3/5) Timewatch The Battle of the River Plate World War IIby 2bn442RCT 16,981 views
- 10:00 (3/5) Timewatch The Hunt for U-864 World War IIby 2bn442RCT 28,785 views
- 44:36 Princess Spy.by Rick H 11,589 views
- 7:02 (5/5) Timewatch The Battle of the River Plate World War IIby 2bn442RCT 14,162 views
- 10:01 (2/5) Timewatch Emperor Hirohito World War IIby 2bn442RCT 23,587 views
- 10:01 (1/6) Timewatch Omaha Beach World War IIby 2bn442RCT 45,585 views
- 36:20 Why Hitler Lost the War: German Strategic Mistakes in WWIIby U.S. Army War College 60,206 views
- 10:01 (2/12) World War II Mind of a Code Breakerby 2bn442RCT 20,503 views
- Loading more suggestions...