Guatemalan Volcano Erupting September 13TH 2012 (1080P HD)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 13, 2012
Eruption at Guatemala Volcano Forces Evacuations
Erupción Volcán de Fuego, Guatemala. 13 septiembre 2012
Volcán de Fuego - 13 de Septiembre 2012
GUATEMALA CITY -- A long-simmering volcano outside one of the Guatemala's most famous tourist attractions exploded into a series of powerful eruptions Thursday, hurling thick clouds of ash nearly two miles (three kilometers) high, spewing rivers of lava down its flanks and forcing the evacuation of more than 33,000 people from surrounding communities.
Guatemala's head of emergency evacuations, Sergio Cabanas, said the evacuees were leaving some 17 villages around the Volcan del Fuego, which sits about six miles southwest (16 kilometers) from the colonial city of Antigua. The ash was blowing south and authorities said Antigua was not currently in danger, although they expected the eruption to last for at least 12 more hours.
The agency said the volcano spewed lava nearly 2,000 feet (600 meters) down slopes billowing with ash around Acatenango, a 12,346-foot-high (3,763-meter-high) volcano whose name translates as "Volcano of Fire."
"A paroxysm of an eruption is taking place, a great volcanic eruption, with strong explosions and columns of ash," said Gustavo Chicna, a volcanologist with the National Institute of Seismology, Vulcanology, Meteorology and Hydrology. He said the cinders spewing from the volcano were settling a half-inch thick in many places.
He said extremely hot gases were also rolling down the sides of the volcano, which was entirely wreathed in ash and smoke. The emergency agency warned that flights through the area could be affected.
There was a general orange alert, the second-highest level, but a red alert south and southeast of the mountain, where, Chicna said, "it's almost in total darkness."
Teresa Marroquin, disaster coordinator for the Guatemalan Red Cross, said the organization had set up 10 emergency shelters and was sending hygiene kits and water.
"There are lots of respiratory problems and eye problems," she said.
Standard YouTube License
- 13:07 Prophetic Signposts of the the 2nd Coming of Jesusby Doug Hamp Featured 7,620
- 2:00 UFO 2013 WORMHOLE OVER ARCTIC NEWby elvisreviews7,550 views
- 0:27 Nibiru Passing Behind the MOON (2012 DoomsDAY)by elvisreviews19,295 views
- 1:34 ROMNEY- 47% OF AMERICANS FREELOADERS - (NEW LEAKED VIDEO 1080P HD)by elvisreviews7,198 views
- 6:43 DARKSIDERS 2: END BOSSby elvisreviews479 views
- 57:09 GUATEMALA, TIERRA DE VOLCANES Y LEYENDASby summumxxi711 views
- 44:50 Yellowstone National Park & the Caldera Super Volcano [FULL VIDEO]by Sky Faction76,621 views
- 7:29 Volcan Tajumulco, Guatemalaby Mark Horrell12,281 views
- 6:28 Mt. St. Helens Eruption May 18, 1980 720p HDby Philip Sheffield686,464 views
- 45:01 Yellowstone Eruptionby vele90337,388 views
- 3:23 Volcanoes - Best Of Explosive Eruptions In HD!by Earth Uncut TV51,643 views
- 1:38 Seis comunidades fueron evacuadas por actividad del Volcán de Fuegoby elperiodicovideos5,179 views
- 22:10 Volcano Eruption - The Eruption of Mt St Helens (1980) - Rare Footageby ▬■ Rare Educational And Entertaining Videos ■▬53,022 views
- 17:07 Amenaza Volcanica Santiaguito El Palmar Quetzaltenango Guatemala.wmvby Alvaro Rojas6,656 views
- 2:16 Yellowstone Super-Eruptions | Curiosity: Volcano Time Bombby Discovery109,423 views
- 8:19 Hawaii Volcano - 2011 Kamoamoa fissure eruption, six months laterby bigislandvideonews1,002,035 views
- 10:42 Most incredible volcano expedition ever 2012 - the full versionby geoffmackley1,042,427 views
- 1:01 Erupción volcan de Fuego Guatemalaby roqij12,717 views
- 34:40 EarthUncutTV's Best Volcano Eruption Footage Shots!by Earth Uncut TV325,696 views
- 7:45 Sobrevivientes narran lo vivido en la erupcion del volcan Pacaya - Guatemalaby Benjamín Barrios35,105 views
- Loading more suggestions...