WORLD'S MOST PROMISING SETI SIGNAL2-WOW! Signal "BIG EAR"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 21, 2007
**********THE WOW! SIGNAL**********
The world's most promising and tantalizing candidate signal from an extraterrestrial intelligence to date, the WOW! signal, was gathered by this telescope. Dr. Robert Dixon makes an on-site presentation about "Big Ear."
When communicating with an extraterrestrial being, it is important to first notify the Federal Communication Commission, FCC. Dixon discusses communication with other worlds using humor, but serious thinking. (Please excuse the background noise. The video was recorded in the telescope control room with many electronic devices running.)
As the researchers had done thousands of times, they glanced over the radio telescope's computer printouts, not expecting to find anything. But what Dr. Jerry Ehman saw on Aug. 15, 1977 would be recorded all over the world and discussed to this day. On that day's printout was a signal so strong that it catapulted the recorder off the chart. Ehman scribbled "Wow!" on the printout, and this tag is known around the world.
Beginning in 1965, Ohio State University's radio telescope, Big Ear, was used for a premier survey of the radio sky. It found over 20,000 celestial radio sources. Designed by John Kraus, it was about the size of three football fields and consists of a huge metal ground plane with two fence-like reflectors (one fixed and one tiltable). It surveys the sky by remaining stationary. Earth's rotation sweeps its beam (the area of sky it sees) in a narrow circular path through the sky once every day. The beam can be moved slightly up or down by tilting the reflector. The OSU Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI) program became the longest continuously running electromagnetic search to date. Researchers search in the hydrogen line frequency (1420 mHz), but assume a transmitting civilization would offset their frequency (Doppler shift) to remove their motions with respect to the center of the galaxy, to make a unique reference point.
The 1977 signal seemed to fit all the expected characteristics for communications of intelligent extra-terrestrial origin. It may have been a strong, highly intermittent signal from an alien civilization, which was captured by the telescope as it swept by the earth.
The Wow signal had every characteristic of an extraterrestrial signal. Its narrowband matched the telescope's antenna pattern, which indicated that it was at least at a lunar distance. (The signal from a nearer object would have a wider pattern.) But research showed that it did not come from the moon, a planet, a known star, a galaxy, a publicly known satellite, nor an earth source, which bounced off something in space. Its frequency was near the 1420 mHz hydrogen line, where radio transmissions are prohibited. Amazingly, the signal abruptly turned off as the telescope monitors recorded it. The signal's amazing strength (60 Janskys in a 10 KHz channel) was 30 standard deviations above the mean background noise. Thus, the transmitter used a huge amount on energy. If the source were a rotating lighthouse kind of beacon, the signal might never be found again.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:38 Stephen Hawking - The Wow! Signalby WeAreStarStuff51Featured 124,042
- 5:37 WORLD'S MOST PROMISING SETI SIGNAL1-WOW! Signal "BIG EAR"by IrenaScott 31,958 views
- 1:52 WORLD'S MOST PROMISING SETI SIGNAL-WOW! Signal "BIG EAR"by IrenaScott 30,777 views
- 9:51 Real Contact Aliens WOW Signal World's First Only SETI Signal Big Earby IrenaScott 8,259 views
- 3:30 FIGHTER DIVES AT HOUSE (Talon)by IrenaScott 62,059 views
- Wow! signal 462 videos9
- 1:34 Seti and the wow signalby Veetina 161,232 views
- 5:48 Stephen Hawking über das Wow-Signal von 1977by Gehirnlache 27,141 views
- 1:48 The WOW signalby Risti2ss 16,134 views
- 15 videos Play all S.E.T.Iby potusize
- 2:34 The Wow Signalby Michael Lennick 10,962 views
- 6:19 Das Wow Signal Dokuby Jopex90 16,581 views
- 1:08 SETI Arrayby TheUFOdocuments 3,597 views
- 2:12 Seti Signal SHGd00+19hby coffee300am 5,751 views
- 3:48 Alien Speech Broadcast from a Secret Location on 864.5MHzby RoadRunnerLaser 162,626 views
- 0:40 Wow Signal FROM SPACE Edited EVIDENCE THAT SOMEONE IS OUT THEREby macedonianimation 3,209 views
- 3:50 SETI@home: Discover ET Using Your Home Computerby ForaTv 28,818 views
- 2:19 The Saturn Signal - There's A Lot More!by William A. Ferguson 5,893 views
- 1:27 RADIO TELESCOPES FIND ALIEN SIGNALby realUFOproof 1,784 views
- 1:41 Seti Candidate Signal SHGd26+cby coffee300am 4,343 views
- 1:23 SINAL WOW RECEBIDO PELO SETI EM 15 DE AGOSTO DE 1977by Jose Fabio da Silva 4,545 views
- 3:11 SETI Astronomer: No Alien Visitors Yetby ForaTv 9,684 views
- Loading more suggestions...