Minnesota - Next Somalia ?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 2, 2007
Minnesota - Next Somalia?
Its officials say the college, a public institution, has a strict policy of not promoting religion or favoring one religion over another. "The Constitution prevents us from doing this in any form," says Dianna Cusick, director of legal affairs.
But that seems to depend on your religion.
Where Christianity is concerned, the college goes to great lengths to avoid any hint of what the courts call "entanglement" or support of the church. Yet the college is planning to install facilities for Muslims to use in preparing for daily prayers, an apparent first at a public institution in Minnesota.
Separation of church and state is clearest at the college during the Christmas season. A memo from Cusick and President Phil Davis, dated Nov. 28, 2006, exhorted supervisors to banish any public display of holiday cheer: "As we head into the holiday season ... "all public offices and areas should refrain from displays that may represent to our students, employees or the public that the college is promoting any particular religion." Departments considering sending out holiday cards, the memo added, should avoid cards "that appear to promote any particular religious holiday."
Last year, college authorities caught one rule-breaker red-handed. A coffee cart that sells drinks and snacks played holiday music "tied to Christmas," and "complaints and concerns" were raised, according to a faculty e-mail. College authorities quickly quashed the practice.
They appear to take a very different attitude toward Islam. Welcome and accommodation are the order of the day for the college's more than 500 Muslim students. The college has worked with local Muslim leaders to ensure that these students' prayer needs and concerns are adequately addressed.
Standard YouTube License
- 6:44 Somali Muslims Changing a Small Townby Boone Dawg123,382 views
- 5:38 Somalis take everything from us, "white people"by Madaale Productions113,658 views
- 23:12 Somali Officer's got Award from City of Minneapolis & Homeland Security, Minneapolis, MNby Farhio Khalif42,655 views
- 2:39 Somali Pirates attacking people in Saint Paul, Minnesotaby Wakeupyousheeple29,489 views
- 1:00:31 WACYIGALINTA GABDHAHA SOOMAALIYEED 01 04 2013 SOMALI CHANNELby Somali Channel82,606 views
- 5:04 Somali workers walk out of Minnesota bakery in protest of new dress code.by Abdirizakxiireey16,938 views
- 3:17 Sharia (Islamic) Law Imposed in Minneapolisby 1001Phoenix37,712 views
- 2:00 Somali youth summit in Minnesotaby halgankanet43,429 views
- 7 videos Play all Somalis In Minnesotaby manalive245
- 6:37 Somalis of the World, Why wear the hijab ?by blackhistorywalks261,501 views
- 1:40 Somali: Beck Insults Somalis, Islamby Bill Omar2,795 views
- 7:04 Liberal Hate Caught red handed with hate speech towards FreedomWorksby christysgoodlife298,098 views
- 7:18 Glenn Beck - Sharia Law 101by knowthelies31,744 views
- 10:27 Derek Boogaard Tribute Ceremony - Minnesota Wild - 11/27/2011 [HD]by ramblin22354,981 views
- 2:47 Food fight between Somali Muslim & African Americans turns into violent Brawl at Minn.schoolby RawVideoNewzChannel27,879 views
- 2:31 Somalis bring culture of murder and piracy to Minneapolisby Wakeupyousheeple18,717 views
- 23:59 Somali Education Center Minnesotaby Somalitvmn18,451 views
- 19:08 Pirate Coast - Somaliaby Journeyman Pictures193,930 views
- 7:46 16/12/2009 - Leopoldo Abadia y la Teoria del Safety Car en Buenafuente Parte 02by LeopoldoAbadia71,273 views
- 5:37 Part 3 of 3 Video - Somalis in Minnesotaby YaaYahya16,033 views