Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 8/13/12: Legalize Competing Currencies!
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 12, 2012
Legalize Competing Currencies
by Ron Paul
I recently held a hearing in my congressional subcommittee on the subject of competing currencies. This is an issue of enormous importance, but unfortunately few Americans understand how the Federal Reserve and Treasury Department impose a strict monopoly on money in America.
This monopoly is maintained using federal counterfeiting laws, which is a bit of a stretch. If any organization is guilty of counterfeiting dollars, it is the Federal Reserve. But those who dare to challenge federal legal tender laws by circulating competing currencies-- at least physical currencies-- risk going to prison.
Like all government created monopolies, the federal monopoly on money results in substandard product in the form of our ever-depreciating dollars.
Yet governments have always sought to monopolize the issuance of money, either directly or through the creation of central banks. The expanding role of the Federal Reserve in the 20th century enabled our federal government to grow wildly larger than would have been possible otherwise. Our Fed, like all central banks, encourages deficits by effectively monetizing Treasury debt. But the price we pay is the terrible and ongoing debasement of our money. Allowing individuals and business to use alternate currencies, especially currencies backed by gold and silver, would expose the whole rotten system because the marketplace would prefer such alternate currencies unless and until the Fed suddenly imposed radical discipline on its dollar inflation.
Sadly, Americans are far less free than many others around the world when it comes to protecting themselves against the rapidly depreciating US dollar. Mexican workers can set up accounts denominated in ounces of silver and take tax-free delivery of that silver whenever they want. In Singapore and other Asian countries, individuals can set up bank accounts denominated in gold and silver. Debit cards can be linked to gold and silver accounts so that customers can use gold and silver to make point of sale transactions, a service which is only available to non-Americans.
The obvious solution is to legalize monetary freedom and allow the circulation of parallel and competing currencies. There is no reason why Americans should not be able to transact, save, and invest using the currency of their choosing. They should be free to use gold, silver, or other currencies with no legal restrictions or punitive taxation standing in the way. Restoring the monetary system envisioned by the Constitution is the only way to ensure the economic security of the American people.
After all, if our monetary system is fundamentally sound-- and the Federal Reserve indeed stabilizes the dollar as its apologists claim--then why fear competition? Why do we accept that centralized, monopoly control over our money is compatible with a supposedly free-market economy? In a free market, the government's fiat dollar should compete with alternate currencies for the benefit of American consumers, savers, and investors.
As Austrian economist Ludwig von Mises explained, sound money is an instrument that protects our civil liberties against despotic government. Our current monetary system is indeed despotic, and the surest way to correct things simply is to legalize competing currencies.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:50 Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 8/6/12: Moving toward War in Syriaby minnesotachris 5,062 views
- 3:43 Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 8/20/12: Military "Cuts": Don't Believe the Hypeby minnesotachris 1,741 views
- 3:55 Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 8/27/12: Meaningless Words in Politicsby minnesotachris 1,240 views
- 4:35 Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 9/3/12: The Doomed Dollar and the Case For a Stable Currencyby minnesotachris 4,097 views
- 2:00 Ron Paul leaves News Anchor speechless - Morning Joe gets hit with a Truth Bomb!by Freedom Tracker 28,817 views
- 0:51 اضحك على توفيق عكاشة وهو راكب حصان :Dby Abdelrahman Fathy 65,440 views
- 5:57 Congressman Ron Paul's Speech Against Iran Sanctions August 1, 2012by CongressmanRonPaul 121,233 views
- 6:21 Jon Stewart Totally DESTROYS Obama Administration Over IRS Scandal | A MUST WATCHby JonXTalks1 102,251 views
- 6:27 Congressman Ron Paul's Opening Statement - Domestic Monetary Policy Subcommitteeby CongressmanRonPaul 10,170 views
- 7:53 ECONOMIC ARMAGEDDONby ARMAGEDDONlsCOMlNG 514 views
- 13:54 False Flag Computer BANKING VIRUS to Roll Out Martial Law? Susanne Posel [1 of 2]by SGTbull07 38,971 views
- 4:24 Thomas Sowell - Welfareby LibertyPen 226,835 views
- 31:12 Gov. Gary Johnson on Red Eye with Penn Jillette & Remi Spencer (2012-06-06)by GaryJohnsonVideos 28,331 views
- 42:22 Conversations with History: Howard Zinnby UCtelevision 82,823 views
- 48:47 Congressman Ron Paul's Farewell Speech to Congressby CongressmanRonPaul 877,179 views
- 4:36 Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 9/10/12: The U.S. is a Republic, NOT a Democracy!by minnesotachris 4,405 views
- 2:36 Ron Paul: No More Secrecy for the Fed!by RonPaul2008dotcom 24,026 views
- 6:21 Jon Stewart Destroys Obama Over IRS Scandal & Lack Of 'Managerial Competence'by xtremetty 160,391 views
- 3:47 The View from Space - Countries and Coastlinesby SpaceRip 804,224 views
- 7:08 Ron Paul Intellectually Pummels Mitt Romney Into Submissionby KramerDSP 372,764 views
- Loading more suggestions...