Soweto, South Africa (film by Jack Toohey, music by Oliver Sadie)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 16, 2012
Film by Jack Toohey: http://www.jacktoohey.com
Music by Oliver Sadie: http://oliversad.ie
Track download: http://soundcloud.com/oliversadie/of-...
BACKGROUND (by Jack Toohey)
I shot this video, on a short trip to Pam's Creche in Soweto (South West Township) one of the poorest regions of the country. Pam is an amazing woman, she and 10 other adults look after, teach and feed a total of 250 children between the ages of 1 and 6 on a miniscule budget.
The children live in the slums of Soweto, and their parents have either passed away from HIV/AIDS or are unemployed with no training or education and no way of getting a job.
Pam's Creche provides these children with a preliminary education, hope, and a future that they could not have without Pam. Without the Creche they could not hope to attend a primary school, high school and ultimately a career.
At the creche the children are taught many different things, such as English, Basics in colours, shapes, maths, sport, music, art, dance, and even ancient Zulu drama. Not only this, but they are also provided with three meals a day and emotional support.
It was the easter holidays when we visited the school, but despite this, the creche was filled with students and children, even with children who had graduated! This is largely because they have no where else to go. Despite how little all the children and people of Soweto have they are all so happy and loving, they are filled with hope and joy, and they all encouraged us to not feel guilty for how little we thought they had, as despite their lack of materialistic riches, they were wealthier than you could ever imagine, rich in love, happiness, and community spirit.
However these people need money, their living conditions are unhealthy and minimal, they don't have running water, most of them don't have electricity, and can't afford to eat anywhere as much as they need to. Pam's Creche is but one small group of people stretching out to help with their community, and there are many many more across the country and world. We were lucky enough to help these people by giving them AU$3000 or over 18,000 rand, this to them is a lot of money, but they need more, and I emplore you to reach out and help these amazing people.
Or alternative contact: Thulani Madondo
Director, Kliptown Youth Program
Standard YouTube License
- 1:05:28 Ghana Gospel Mix 18 - Sonnie Badu Mix (Colours Of Africa)by Ernest Gyamfi Ampofo Featured 356,913
- 2:15:39 Chennai Express Full Movie 720p (2013) [English Subtitle]by animasyontr386,914 views
- 2:10:08 South African Bafere New Ugandan Movie HD [Full Movie]by WatchFullMovies2015686 views
- 13:50 Phakathi Soweto Middle Class Part 1 of 4by 2011SARCHI3,804 views
- 1:13:06 Soweto - South Africa Travel Channel 24by Southern Africa Travel Channel, Free Tourism and Wildlife Films977 views
- 6:02 Swahili film (dub), English captions: Under sexual pressure (Global Dialogues)by Global Dialogues20,793 views
- 56 videos Play all Soundtracksby Vegogers
- 1:32:55 E Lollipop South African Movieby IRAMBATV17,468 views
- 2:10:08 South African Bafere - New Ugandan Movie HDby Ugandan Musik33,766 views
- 1:32:55 E Lollipop South African [Full Movie]by WatchFullMovies20152,605 views
- 1:43:29 Thick As Thieves (2009) full movie HDby Brandon Donovan920,688 views
- 10:09 South African Student's Short Film - Port Elizabethby sethpedicini4,431 views
- 1:32:22 History Channel - Miracle Rising South Africa [ Full Movie ]by Sambotin Alexandru80,047 views
- 57:52 South Africa Crime 2013 - Documentaryby DocumentationsForYou89,386 views
- 12:06 The Audio Spotlight interviews Oliver Sadieby Oliver Sadie296 views
- 13:44 South Africa : A Shorthand Historyby Tekweni21,654 views
- 8:44 Jason's Journeys - Soweto Slums & Cape Townby JasonsJourneys979 views
- 15:21 South Africa: Soweto revisitedby FRANCE 24 English815 views
- 50:06 A Tour of Soweto SOUTH AFRICAby Donald Pugh7,281 views
- 8:09 Official "Behind the Scenes" - Fanie Fourie's Lobolaby Jana Erasmus13,907 views