Bill: A Prostate Cancer Survivor
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 22, 2011
Provided by Alta Bates Summit Medical Center in Berkeley and Oakland, California
Hi, I'm Bill. I'm a 3 year prostate cancer survivor.
6 years ago, when we lost my Dad to prostate cancer, I knew I was at increased risk of getting this disease. I had regular check ups, DREs, PSA checks, I exercised, ate and lived healthfully, but it wasn't enough.
When I received my diagnosis, it was a difficult period for me. I was rather fearful, confused, skeptical about my chance of survival - feeling a bit like a minnow in a shark tank. So then I decided it's not what happens to you, it's what you do with it.
So I got busy. I set out to learn all I could about this disease. The information on Prostate Cancer and its treatments I found is huge, and sometimes rather overwhelming.
As I researched, I often found conflicting data even. The cliché,"like drinking from a fire hose" really was accurate. What seemed to be lacking was a single credible clearing house of information for newly diagnosed Prostate Cancer patients, like me.
Fortunately, I had excellent doctors at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center who can support my need to comprehend Prostate Cancer and its therapies.
In the process, they supported me getting second opinions, even third opinions, so I could really get my mind around the disease to defeat it.
I also got solid information from Markstein Cancer Education and Prevention Services and through it, was put in touch with Prostate Cancer survivors, like me, who could help me make decisions on next steps.
Now after several effective therapies at Alta Bates Summit for my aggressive cancer, I find myself in 'management mode'.
I watch my diet, exercise, manage stress, but still maintain a healthy appetite for Prostate Cancer information that I love to share with fellow survivors in Markstein's Prostate Cancer support groups.
It's gratifying when men come in worried but leave looking confident, sometimes even smiling, knowing that there is real hope and the strong probability that they're going to be OK.
Standard YouTube License
- 59:31 Prostate Cancer: What Every Man (and Woman) Should Knowby UCtelevisionFeatured 7,956
- 9:45 Prostate Cancer Survivors' Perspectivesby paloaltomedical 2,431 views
- 3:44 Drew Bouton: Prostate Cancer Survivorby SeattleCancerCare 621 views
- 2:44 Prostate Cancer: How to Manage Metastaticby Gerald Chodak MD 3,581 views
- 2:00 Radiation therapy for prostate cancer: one patient's storyby SunnybrookMedia 1,796 views
- 4:11 5 Year Old Cancer Victim Leaves Behind Messagesby shyanndreamcatcher 32,614 views
- 6:44 HOW TO MAKE WEED BUTTER! SECRET TIPS! POT BROWNIES!by CannabisTrainingUniv 8,577 views
- 16 videos Play all Cancer Survivor Testimonialsby AnswersToCancer
- 15:09 Dennis Hill Treat prostate cancer with cannabis oil - Part 2by Lincoln Horsley 649 views
- 1:29:11 Prostate Cancer Prevention and Screeningby UCtelevision 13,197 views
- 9:01 The "Poor Mans" Cannabis Grow - Video #5 - Clones From a Water Bottleby EastCoastChameleon 47,233 views
- 6:55 Prostate Cancer: Managing a Rising PSA after Radiation Therapyby Gerald Chodak MD 7,665 views
- 2:03 Prostate Cancer: a Survivors Narrativeby kkrix 177 views
- 53:18 What's New in Prostate Cancer Treatment - Research on Agingby UCtelevision 6,885 views
- 6:24 Curtis Sliwa (Guardian Angels) - Prostate Cancer Treatment With Robotic Surgeryby RoboticOncology 1,405 views
- 3:19 Open or Robotic Prostate Cancer Surgery -- Which is Right for You?by JohnsHopkinsMedicine 25,031 views
- 7:50 Prostate cancer survivor information - Dana-Farber Cancer Instituteby DanaFarberCancerInst 1,766 views
- 7:33 Common Ground: Hope for Prostate Cancer at Johns Hopkins Medicineby JohnsHopkinsMedicine 6,630 views
- 4:32 Doug Christie Faces Prostate Cancerby Douglas Christie 833 views
- 1:04:23 Prostate Cancer Classby Brad Larsen 234 views
- 1:25 Prostate Cancer Signsby DouglasA1974 3,432 views
- Loading more suggestions...