How to Choose a Fraternity / Sorority
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 12, 2009
See what you can learn on the go with the new Howcast App for iPhone and iPad: http://bit.ly/11ZmFOu
Watch more College Freshman Survival Guide videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/59-Coll...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://bit.ly/uLaHRS
Animal House aside, a fraternity or sorority is an opportunity to meet new people, contribute to the community, have a few laughs, and make lifelong friends.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://bit.ly/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Dance & Entertainment Channel - http://bit.ly/vmB86i
Howcast Family Channel - http://bit.ly/16dz9oH
Howcast Food & Drink Channel - http://bit.ly/umBoJX
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://bit.ly/vbbNt3
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://bit.ly/vKjUjm
Howcast Tech Channel - http://bit.ly/rx9FwR
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://bit.ly/tYKKrk
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Step 1: Decide what kind
Decide what kind of fraternity or sorority you want to join. Some groups are mostly social; others bring together people with the same professional goals or ethnic background. Some are religion based, others are service oriented.
Step 2: Contact college
Contact your college's Office of Greek Life (most fraternity and sorority names contain one or two Greek letters; hence the idea of "going Greek") or Office of Student Life for information on the joining process. Each college or university has its own system and schedule.
Look for fraternity and sorority Open Houses at the beginning of the school year.
Step 3: Get opinions
Get as many opinions as you can of the various Greek organizations by talking to people on campus.
Consider how you want to be perceived -- jock, preppy, party animal, etc. Recognize that if you join a fraternity or sorority, many people will immediately apply the stereotype of that particular organization to you.
Step 4: Go to Rush events
Go to Rush events, where you meet members of the organization that interests you. When you join a fraternity or sorority, you're committing to a new group of friends, so make sure they're people you'd want to hang out with.
Don't be afraid to mix it up with people of different backgrounds or interests.
Step 5: Ask about membership fees
Ask about membership fees. Most organizations have annual or semiannual dues, and many have housing costs associated with them.
Did You Know?
The first fraternity in the United States is thought to be the Kappa Alpha society, established at Union College in 1825.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:22 How to Avoid the Freshman 15by Howcast85,457 views
- 1:34 How to Get into a Fraternity or Sororityby Howcast11,512 views
- 2:43 How to Prepare for an Acting Auditionby Howcast9,745 views
- 2:48 How to Interview for Collegeby Howcast11,824 views
- 2:27 How to Choose a Collegeby Howcast47,806 views
- 2:30 How to Afford Collegeby Howcast53,855 views
- 2:01 How to Study for the SATby Howcast11,378 views
- 7:20 Rushed - A Northwestern Sorority Documentary (Pt 1 of 2)by macohlan289,652 views
- 2:18 How to Get into an Ivy League Schoolby Howcast35,007 views
- 2:22 How to Transfer from Community College to a Four-Year Universityby Howcast21,053 views
- 1:56 How to Pack for Collegeby Howcast60,942 views
- 9:40 Racist Sororities at the University of Alabamaby VICE1,048,321 views
- 2:34 How to Get an Athletic Scholarshipby Howcast12,188 views
- 2:26 How to Make a Big College Seem Smallerby Howcast3,747 views
- 1:57 How to Score Higher on the SAT / ACTby Howcast27,252 views
- 3:43 How to Skydive for the First Timeby Howcast48,733 views
- 1:12 How to Stock a Mini Fridgeby Howcast15,483 views
- 2:07 How to Research a Paperby Howcast63,398 views
- 1:43 How to Find Day Work on a Road Tripby Howcast7,169 views
- 2:18 Why Join a Fraternity?by TauDeltaPhiHQ270 views
- Loading more suggestions...