TEDxMaastricht - Dave deBronkart - aka e-Patient Dave: "Let patients help!"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 7, 2011
Dave deBronkart, better known as "e-Patient Dave" (@epatientdave), was diagnosed in January 2007 with kidney cancer at a very late stage. Odds were stacked against him, with tumors in both lungs, several bones, and muscle tissue. He received great treatment: extensive surgery and biologic therapy helped him win the battle over his cancer. His last treatment was July 23, 2007, and by September it was clear he'd beaten the disease. Dave is now actively engaged in opening health care information directly to patients on an unprecedented level, thus creating a new dynamic in how information is delivered, accessed and used by the patient.
What is TEDx?
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TED has created a program called TEDx. TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. Our event is called TEDxMaastricht, where x = independently organized TED event. At our TEDxMaastricht event, TEDTalks video and live speakers will combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events, including ours, are self-organized.
Please take a look at this video that explains what TEDx has become:
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. Started as a four-day conference in California 25 years ago, TED has grown to support those world-changing ideas with multiple initiatives. The annual TED Conference invites the world's leading thinkers and doers to speak for 18 minutes. Their talks are then made available, free, at TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Al Gore, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Nandan Nilekani,Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Isabel Allende and UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown. The annual TED Conference takes place in Long Beach, California, with simulcast in Palm Springs; TEDGlobal is held each year in Oxford, UK. TED's media initiatives include TED.com, where new TEDTalks are posted daily, and the Open Translation Project, which provides subtitles and interactive transcripts as well as the ability for any TEDTalk to be translated by volunteers worldwide.
TED has established the annual TED Prize, where exceptional individuals with a wish to change the world are given the opportunity to put their wishes into action; TEDx, which offers individuals or groups a way to host local, self-organized events around the world, and the TEDFellows program, helping world-changing innovators from around the globe to become part of the TED community and, with its help, amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities.
Standard YouTube License
- 16:57 TEDxMaastricht - Lawrence Sherman - "Turning medical education inside out and upside down"by TEDxTalks 7,531 views
- 11:11 TEDxMaastricht - Bas Bloem - "From God to Guide"by TEDxTalks 25,419 views
- 17:08 TEDxMaastricht - Simon Sinek - "First why and then trust"by TEDxTalks 189,154 views
- 19:53 TEDxMaastricht - Daniel Kraft - "What's next in healthcare?"by TEDxTalks 13,514 views
- 19:20 TEDxAsheville - Adam Baker - Sell your crap. Pay your debt. Do what you love.by TEDxTalks 239,401 views
- 15:33 TEDxMaastricht - Wouter Bos - "Is technology the answer to the rising costs of healthcare?"by TEDxTalks 4,630 views
- 17:15 TEDxMaastricht Lucien Engelen : The Patients Included Actby TEDxTalks 11,045 views
- 16:29 Salmaan Sana "Compassion for Care"by TEDxTalks 8,242 views
- 19:15 TEDxPSU - Sam Richards - A Radical Experiment in Empathyby TEDxTalks 274,853 views
- 14:08 TEDxMaastricht - Frans Hiddema - "The least used resource: patient"by TEDxTalks 1,166 views
- 22:23 TEDxHouston - Dr. David Eaglemanby TEDxTalks 82,735 views
- 5:22 What's Wrong With Our Food System: Birke Baehr at TEDxNextGenerationAshevilleby TEDxTalks 801,963 views
- 16:45 The Power of Surprise: Soren Kaplan at TEDxBayAreaby TEDxTalks 1,761 views
- 14:53 Cancer Does Not Kill: Arash Rafii Tabrizi at TEDxEducationCity (2012)by TEDxTalks 1,082 views
- 24:21 TEDxBlue - Daniel J. Siegel, M.D. - 10/18/09by TEDxTalks 71,916 views
- 12:15 Life Balance - [日本語]: Yoshie Komuro at TEDxTokyoby TEDxTalks 80,023 views
- 16:55 TEDxWomen -- Jennifer Siebel Newsomby TEDxTalks 172,248 views
- 10:45 Change of Pace, Change of Direction: Nathan Gutierrez at TEDxBountifulby TEDxTalks 531 views
- 10:16 TEDxMaastricht - Dancing Doctorsby TEDxTalks 687 views
- 17:18 TEDxConejo - Dr. Glenn Begley - The Complex Biology of Cancer (or Why Haven't We Cured It Yet?)by TEDxTalks 1,155 views