Would Jesus Support Gay Marriage? - Peter Gomes
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 21, 2008
Complete video at: http://fora.tv/2008/06/15/Peter_J_Gom...
Baptist Minister Rev. Peter Gomes discusses why he believes Jesus would have supported the idea of gay marriage.
"What did Jesus preach?" asks Harvard pastor Peter J. Gomes, who believes that excessive focus on the Bible and doctrines about Jesus have led the Christian church astray.
To recover the transformative power of the gospel - "the good news" - Gomes says we must go beyond the Bible and rediscover how to live out Jesus's original revolutionary message of hope.
With eloquence and insight, using examples from ancient times as well as modern pop culture, Gomes shows us why the good news is every bit as relevant today as it was when first preached - Grace Cathedral
The Reverend Professor Peter J. Gomes is an American Baptist minister ordained to the Christian Ministry by The First Baptist Church of Plymouth, Massachusetts. Since 1970 he has served in The Memorial Church, Harvard University; and since 1974 as Plummer Professor of Christian Morals and Pusey Minister in The Memorial Church.
His most recent work, The Scandalous Gospel of Jesus, includes extensive commentary and observation on the interrelations of Church and State throughout history and particularly in recent US history.
Alan Jones, Ph.D., has been dean of Grace Cathedral in San Francisco since 1985. Jones was formerly the director of the Center for Christian Spirituality and Stephen F. Bayne Professor of Ascetical Theology at General Theological Seminary in New York City. Born and educated in England, Jones was also on the staff of Trinity Institute of Wall Street's Trinity Church. He became a citizen of the United States in 1975.Jones is the author of several books, most notably, Soul Making, The Desert Way of Spirituality, Passion for Pilgrimage and most recently, The Soul's Journey: Exploring the Three Passages of the Spiritual Life with Dante as a Guide.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:40 Aristotle's Take on Gay Marriage?by ForaTv 74,706 views
- 3:23 Obama and the Gay Marriage Debateby ForaTv 14,388 views
- 3:16 The Evolution Debate: It's Not About Theology - Michael Ruseby ForaTv 40,234 views
- 9:40 Sharpton / Hitchens Debate - Can Morality Exist Without God?by ForaTv 348,981 views
- 1:40:57 Christopher Hitchens God: Big Questions... Bigger Questionsby ChristopherHitchslap 50,674 views
- 4:27 Christopher Hitchens, Rabbi Kushner, Rev Gomes: Believers vs Non-believers vs Religionsby CTFORUM 119,867 views
- 56 videos Play all Inspirationalby omniscope99
- 6:18 What Does The Bible Say About Homosexuality?by SuchIsLifeVideos 30,048 views
- 3:36 CNN Pushes A Homosexual Church: If Gays Left The Church, There Would Be No Church Leftby Greg Hengler 60,387 views
- 6:16 African American Lives 2 : The road home 7by allblack33 7,905 views
- 7:59 Christopher Hitchens Goes After Rabbi Harold Kushner re: Circumcisionby CTFORUM 576,252 views
- 5:01 "The View": Talks about Dick Cheney Supporting Gay Marriageby RandomClips2008 30,068 views
- 32:37 The Reverend Peter J. Gomes: Keynote Addressby Harvard 10,428 views
- 6:50 Gay Marriage Already Being Taught in Schools in Massachusetts - The Parker Familyby iprotectmarriage 28,301 views
- 3:04 Interviewing a christian about gay marriageby Figgenhoffer Figgenhoffer 28,113 views
- 2:02 10 Reasons Gay Marriage is Wrongby cambaretteqc 322,171 views
- 15:27 Closing Remarks: Peter Gomes, 2008by AspenInstitute 1,578 views
- 7:45 Testimony of 12-Year-Old with Two Moms Moves Some Vermont Legislators to Support Gay Marriage Billby mediagrrl9 146,735 views
- 4:52 Tearful Republican reverses his stance against gay marriageby dailybackground 102,406 views
- 1:26 Christopher Hitchens answers the question "What would you say to a dying friend?"by CTFORUM 105,790 views
- 2:31 Gay Marriage vs Civil Unions: Separate Is Not Equal - Gavin Newsomby ForaTv 18,254 views
- Loading more suggestions...