Norman Mailer: The American - Trailer
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 16, 2012
An Exclusive Portrait of a n extraordinary cultural icon.
A provocateur, a rebel, a performer and notorious anarchist, Norman Mailer never stopped giving people something to talk about. Containing never-seen-before material, this shocking doc goes beyond the Mailer of the bookshelves and bestseller lists to reveal Mailer the social critic, filmmaker, family man and lover, giving a rare and unique insight into the life of a complex, intellectual man and villainous hero.
"Are you all truly idiots, or is it me?" he spits at a studio audience during a TV interview. Never one to mince his words, Norman Mailer was at once a journalist, novelist, poet, filmmaker, political activist, mayoral candidate and hell-raising socialite. Every aspect of his life was prolific and controversial, down to his six wives, nine children and numerous affairs. Even his relationship with the country he loved to write about was full of turmoil. "I love this country. I hate it. I get angry at it. I feel close to it. I'm charmed by it; I'm repelled by it."
Mailer didn't just write about major US events, he lived them from the frontlines. Yet he was never in any doubt about his motives for throwing himself into the thick of the action, admitting that what he wanted from his stint in the army during the Second World War was to produce the greatest novel written about it. A subversive blending of reality and creativity was something that extended into all corners of his life and art. "He took journalism and made it into this imaginative construct."
One infamous project, his film Maidstone, was shot in a hazy environment of sex, booze, drugs and outrage; "a Norman Mailer fantasy". Struggling to find a climax to the film, Mailer's cinema verité approach took on alarming new proportions. With the cameras rolling and his children looking on, his great antagonist, Rip Torn, attacked Mailer in blind frustration. "He hit me with a hammer, that asshole", Norman shouts at the terrified onlookers, blood streaming from his head. "And then he bit off Rip Torn's ear", recalls his ex-wife, a tone of resignation in her voice. Watching the old footage of the fight, she shakes her head and sighs; "he was mad as a hatter".
A keen boxer, his ex-wives all remember a passionate and charming but aggressive man, constantly on the edge of his temper. For the first time, Adele Morales Mailer, his second wife, talks about her experience of being stabbed by Norman as they hosted a cocktail party. "He said, "don't touch her, let the bitch die". That will be seared in my memory forever." Under enormous pressure to not press charges against her 'genius' husband, Mailer got away with the assault, later justifying it on talk shows by saying that he was curing Adele of cancer.
The man who once announced, "The greatest trouble with this country is that it is insane", came ironically to be widely regarded as an American icon, wildly living out his own definition of his beloved nation. From Marilyn Monroe hiding in her bedroom from him to him head-butting Gore Vidal, from debates and ideas to sex tapes, orgies and drag queens, this fast-paced doc offers a wonderfully revelatory profile of an iconic figure of 20th Century Americana.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:50 Lucky Ducks - Trailerby JourneymanVOD844 views
- 2:58 A Good Day to Die - Trailerby JourneymanVOD2,607 views
- 1:42 Tipping Point: The End of Oil - Trailerby JourneymanVOD1,012 views
- 4:32 American Faust: From Condi to Neo-Condi - Trailerby JourneymanVOD1,463 views
- 1:22:05 Town Bloody Hall 1979by Perse Phoney5,856 views
- 56:46 Christopher Hitchens and William F Buckley Jr on Firing Lineby Christopher Hitchens19,722 views
- 50:17 50-Minute Documentary on Norman Mailer & Picasso: "Norman Mailer on Picasso"by TheSheik19763,194 views
- 38:26 Norman Mailer - Oh My America (Part 1 Farewell To The Fifties)by buffooncorporation2,470 views
- 27:58 Norman Mailer and Marshall McLuhan Debating 1968by benforshay112,426 views
- 9:52 Mailer on Mailerby veep234,741 views
- 1:23:35 Sleeper - Woody Allen - Full Movie - 1973by appenzolli25,939 views
- 5:09 Norman Mailer on Dicks, Homosexuals & Facismby tworeeler17,670 views
- 1:24:54 Love and Death - Woody Allen (1975) Full Movieby appenzolli30,068 views
- 22:43 Buckley, Kerouac, Sanders and Yablonsky discuss Hippiesby SensitiveSkinTV160,514 views
- 9:01 William Buckley Interviews Norman Mailer on Firing Line (1968) Part 5by CEHitchens3315,911 views
- 8:31 William Buckley Interviews Norman Mailer on Firing Line (1968) Part 1by CEHitchens3390,359 views
- 9:35 Norman Mailer interviewed by Martin Amis, 1991. (3 of 4)by ParnellMooney12,456 views
- 3:52 Norman Mailer and Gore Vidal Feud on the Dick Cavett Showby CEHitchens33405,167 views
- 10:14 Dick & Woody discuss particle physicsby cavettbiter303,251 views
- 1:36 Norman Mailer vs Gore Vidal on the Dick Cavett Showby EraserFilmsLTD21,951 views
- Loading more suggestions...