This video is unavailable.
Saturn V Launch Views - High Speed Cams 480p
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 29, 2007
Saturn V Launch Views - High Speed Cams
Segment #1: Apollo 11 ignition and liftoff (high speed)
Segment #2: Apollo 11 tracking (high speed)
Segment #3: Apollo 8 ignition and liftoff (normal speed)
All images and video contained herein are copyrighted materials owned by and for the sole and exclusive benefit of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Use of NASA copyrighted materials is considered Fair Use under copyright law.
###This video is meant for EDUCATIONAL and THOUGHT-PROVOKING purposes ONLY###
The Saturn V was an American human-rated expendable rocket used by NASA's Apollo and Skylab programs from 1967 until 1973. A multistage liquid-fueled launch vehicle, NASA launched 13 Saturn Vs from the Kennedy Space Center, Florida with no loss of crew or payload. It remains the tallest, heaviest, and most powerful rocket ever brought to operational status and still holds the record for the heaviest launch vehicle payload.
The largest production model of the Saturn family of rockets, the Saturn V was designed under the direction of Wernher von Braun and Arthur Rudolph at the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, with Boeing, North American Aviation, Douglas Aircraft Company, and IBM as the lead contractors. Von Braun's design was based in part on his work on the Aggregate series of rockets, especially the A-10, A-11, and A-12, in Germany during World War II.
To date, the Saturn V is the only launch vehicle to transport human beings beyond low Earth orbit. A total of 24 astronauts were launched to the Moon, three of them more than once, in the four years spanning December 1968 through December 1972.
The origins of the Saturn V rocket begin with the US government choosing Wernher von Braun to be one of about seven hundred German scientists in Operation Paperclip, a program created by President Truman in September 1946. It was intended to bring these scientists and their expertise to the United States, thereby giving America an edge in the Cold War.
Von Braun was put into the rocket design division of the Army due to his direct involvement in the creation of the V-2 rocket. Between 1945 and 1958, his work was restricted to conveying the ideas and methods behind the V-2 to the American engineers. Despite Von Braun's many articles on the future of space rocketry, the US Government continued funding Air Force and Naval rocket programs to test their Vanguard missiles despite numerous costly failures. It was not until the 1957 Soviet launch of Sputnik atop an R-7 intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) capable of carrying a thermonuclear warhead to the US, that the Army and the government started taking serious steps towards putting Americans in space. Finally, they turned to von Braun and his team, who during these years created and experimented with the Jupiter series of rockets. The Juno I was the rocket that launched the first American satellite in January 1958, and part of the last-ditch plan for NACA (the predecessor of NASA) to get its foot in the Space Race. The Jupiter series was one more step in von Braun's journey to the Saturn V, later calling that first series "an infant Saturn".
The Saturn V's design stemmed from the designs of the Jupiter series rockets. As the success of the Jupiter series became evident, the Saturn series emerged.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:09 High Quality - Apollo 8 Saturn V rocket launchby syukorvidsFeatured 832,877
- 44:24 Moon Machines (2008): The Saturn V Rocketby rsa008 36,139 views
- 1:06 First Saturn V Test, April 23, 1966by Ian Benecken 75,719 views
- 0:47 N1 Soviet Moon Rocket HUGE Explosionby DoDoBoy25 620,870 views
- 10:58 Shuttle launch from inside orbitorby Dana Belpedio 2,576,415 views
- 12:29 APOLLO 8 launch, relive this fantastic launch on TV, ABC News coverage, Dec. 21,1968by Mr Dan Beaumont 57,147 views
- 8:43 Saturn V Launch Slow Motionby theflinx 34,081 views
- 4:04 Apollo 11: Launch July 16, 1969by nexus6j 312,275 views
- 2:33 【HD】Launch Apollo 8 Saturn V - Awesome!by CrazyHeliDude 15,036 views
- 9:56 NASA Backyard Rocket Secrets (4:3)by leokimvideo 6,053,548 views
- 10:58 'Apollo 11: Remastered' - An Orbiter Filmby TexFilms 355,104 views
- 3:34 Alien Speech? Found in NASA's Saturn Radio Signalby jostvandyke2007 6,312,059 views
- 15:37 First Saturn V Launch: "The Apollo 4 Mission" 1967 NASA aka Apollo-Saturn 501 & AS-501by Jeff Quitney 5,317 views
- 9:53 Landing on the Moon :July 20, 1969by momo2007x 917,191 views
- 1:38 Launching a homemade rocketby Jonathan Stevens 764,777 views
- 18:40 Saturn's Mysterious Moons (V1)by SpaceRip 669,023 views
- 5:58 Steve Eves' Saturn V Launchby calendar16 456,443 views
- 6:58 Amateur Rocket Blasts Into Stratosphereby VideoFromSpace 405,831 views
- 2:26 On board view of a Space Shuttle launch sequenceby Hyakusiki 2,627,569 views
- 4:18 The launch of Apollo 11by Diamonddavej 372,078 views
- Loading more suggestions...