Moving Beyond Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice Labels, You're "Not in Her Shoes" -- Planned Parenthood
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jan 15, 2013
"Not in Her Shoes" is designed to help people talk about abortion without feeling boxed in by the pro-life vs. pro-choice labels. Many people have opinions on abortion, and by using these labels, it's limiting the conversation.
Truth is, the majority of Americans just don't want to be labeled and believe abortion should remain safe and legal. What they want is for a woman choosing abortion to obtain one that is safe and legal, if and when she needs it.
It's a personal decision. Nobody knows a woman's specific situation -- we're not in her shoes.
Learn more: http://bit.ly/Xebxaj
©2013 Planned Parenthood® Federation of America
"DROPPING THE PRO-LIFE VS. PRO-LIFE LABELS, YOU'RE "NOT IN HER SHOES"- PLANNED PARENTHOOD" - VIDEO TRANSCRIPT:
Most things in life aren't simple. And that includes abortion. It's personal. It can be complicated. And for many people, it's NOT a black and white issue.
So why do people try to label it like it is? Pro-choice? Pro-life? The truth is these labels limit the conversation and simply don't reflect how people actually feel about abortion.
A majority of Americans believe abortion should remain safe and legal. Many just don't use the words pro-choice. They don't necessarily identify as pro-life either. Truth is, they just don't want to be labeled.
What they want is for a woman to have access to safe and legal abortion, if and when she needs it.
But when it comes to abortion, who decides?
Her congressman? Her governor? Her president?
Women don't turn to politicians for advice about mammograms, prenatal care, or cancer treatments. And they shouldn't. Politicians don't belong in a woman's personal medical decisions about her pregnancy.
When it comes down to it, we just don't know a woman's specific situation. We're not in her shoes.
Ultimately, decisions about whether to choose adoption, end a pregnancy, or raise a child must be left to a woman, her family, and her faith, with the counsel of her doctor or health care provider.
So the next time you talk about abortion, don't let the labels box you in.
Have a different conversation.
A conversation that doesn't divide you, but is based on mutual respect and empathy.
To learn more, go to notinhershoes.org.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:45 The Abortion Pill - Planned Parenthoodby plannedparenthood 279,255 views
- 4:14 In-Clinic Abortion Procedure - Planned Parenthoodby plannedparenthood 362,512 views
- 1:12 Scarlett Johansson Stands With Planned Parenthood on Women's Healthby plannedparenthood 126,554 views
- 1:08 Planned Parenthood & Pro-Choice Athletes on Tim Tebow Focus on the Family NFL Super Bowl Commercialsby plannedparenthood 287,009 views
- 2:53 Breast Cancer - Actress Gabrielle Union Shares Importance of Early Detection - Planned Parenthoodby plannedparenthood 8,291 views
- 2:42 Texas Women Stand Together for Planned Parenthood and to Protect Women's Health Careby plannedparenthood 1,568 views
- 2:04 UT-Austin Tells Rick Perry "Protect the Texas Medicaid Women's Health Program!" - Planned Parenthoodby plannedparenthood 1,211 views
- 1:40 IUD as a Form of Birth Control - Planned Parenthoodby plannedparenthood 122,101 views
- 20:49 A Vital Service (Full Movie)by plannedparenthood 4,219 views
- 19:28 President Obama's Speech at the Planned Parenthood National Conference 2013by Planned Parenthood 18,331 views
- 1:40 Breast Cancer Symptoms, Breast Pain, Breast Lumps, Other Changes? Planned Parenthood Can Helpby plannedparenthood 6,661 views