What kind of regime does Azerbaijan have? - Khadija Ismailova
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 15, 2012
Azerbaijan must halt smear campaign against reporter
New York, March 14, 2012--Azerbaijani authorities must carry out a swift investigation into the ongoing smear campaign against journalist Khadija Ismailova, ensure her safety, and bring the perpetrators to justice, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.
A video of a personal nature, purportedly depicting Ismailova, was published today on a website that had been created on Sunday, Emin Huseynov, the director of the Baku-based Institute for Reporters' Freedom and Safety, told CPJ. Links to the video were then distributed via social media, Huseynov said.
Ismailova, a reporter for the Azeri-language service of the U.S. government-funded Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, was investigating President Ilham Aliyev's family's alleged interests in lucrative construction projects in Baku ahead of the Eurovision Song Contest, a popular international event the country is hosting in May. But the journalist told CPJ she had been subjected to a public campaign of intimidation since early March, including in the state-owned media. "I am not planning to stop my investigations, but will continue them. If they think they will stop me this way, they are wrong," she said.
"We are incensed by this contemptible effort to silence Khadija Ismailova, and demand that Azerbaijani authorities investigate and put a halt to it immediately," said Nina Ognianova, CPJ's Europe and Central Asia program coordinator. "The participation of state-owned press in this disgraceful smear campaign amounts to officially sanctioned extortion and brings disrepute on national leaders who claim to welcome journalists from more than 40 countries for the Eurovision Song Contest."
The state-owned newspaper Yeni Azerbaijan published an article on Tuesday that said Ismailova led an immoral life and was corrupt, the journalist told CPJ. Prior to that, on March 7, she said she received a threatening letter along with intimate photographs in the mail. The note said she would be "hugely embarrassed" unless she stopped her reporting on corruption. Ismailova reported the threats to the Ministry of Interior and the General Prosecutor's office, she told CPJ, but there had been no investigation yet.
Journalists in Azerbaijan are frequently subjected to smear or intimidation campaigns as punitive action and are sometimes forced to leave the country, CPJ research shows. In 2008, government-controlled media aired and published reports smearing Agil Khalil, a journalist with the opposition daily Azadlyg (Freedom). In 2005, prominent editor and government critic Genimet Zakhidov was subjected to a similar intimidation campaign.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:53 Azerbaijan's Geographic Challengeby STRATFORvideo Featured 20,025
- 1:27 XƏDİCƏ İSMAYILLA Müsahibəby Namiq Sadiqli5,524 views
- 1:23:17 Günaztv Nov.24.2011 İran Rafiq Tağını terror etdi (1)by gunaztelevision392 views
- 1:41 GHMK Xədicə İsmayıla edilən təhdid və şantajı şiddətlə qınayır!by Rashad Hasanov5,932 views
- 4:44 İranın Səhər Tv kanalında Azərbaycanlılara qarşı təhqiredici ifadələrby Babek Azad21,883 views
- 3:17 Larry King about Azerbaijanby Geysar Gurbanov8,885 views
- 28:58 BBC Panorama - Eurovision's Dirty Secret Azerbaijanby AzerbaijanRevolution125,759 views
- 1:28 CNBC Video. Aliyev Family of Azerbaijanby PanoramaamTV9,569 views
- 4:21 İsveçin dövlət telekanalı (SVT): Bakıdakı Eurovision haqqındaby Elturan Quliyev56,880 views
- 8:56 CNN: Photojournalist captures war and revolution from Azerbaijanby İnsan Haqları14,864 views
- 2:24 Парады в Ереване и Баку смотрим параллельноby Christian-Land Araratyan279,930 views
- 1:51:21 Günaztv Dec.24.2011 İRAN-AZƏRBAYCAN MƏTBUAT SAVAŞI (2)by gunaztelevision179 views
- 14:29 BBC Panorama about Azerbaijan Eurovision Dirty Secret (Human Rights 2012) Part 1by Geysar Gurbanov22,015 views
- 10:59 Xədicə İsmayıl: Müstəqillik dövründə milli mətbuatımızby İnsan Haqları2,987 views
- 2:11 Dajte mi ručak, a ne ono što ni svinje ne mogu da jeduby mrludara198,320 views
- 5:02 Azerbaijan's oil gatewayby Ramin Alakbar4,770 views
- 2:45 Eurovision 2012: Azerbaijan Forced Evictions and Human Rights Abusesby Geysar Gurbanov2,260 views
- 1:47 SVT: Jurnalist Xədicə İsmayılovanın təhdid olunması haqqındaby Elturan Quliyev9,792 views
- 6:41 Jugendliche ohne Grenzen: Im Gespräch mit Nurjana Ismailovaby HessenCam572 views
- 8:58 Azerbaijan Unforgettable Countryby dilmurod8929,207 views
- Loading more suggestions...