Flamenco Vivo - Carlota Santana
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 29, 2009
In 1983, with Roberto Lorca, Carlota Santana founded the Spanish Dance Arts Company now known as Flamenco Vivo/Carlota Santana. The Company was created with the vision of developing a format where new Spanish dance and music could be created and performed. Under Ms. Santana's direction, the company has expanded its repertoire by presenting new music, dramatic works, and a mixture of various dance vocabularies, as well as by integrating Hispanic-American influences. Recent creations include Burlador (The Trickster), an innovative dance drama based on tales of the legendary Don Juan; Bailes de Ida y Vuelta, a journey through Latin America showing how flamenco has been influenced by Caribbean, Latino and Afro-Latino sounds; Bailaor/Bailaora, a dazzling display of flamenco styles; the contemporary flamenco story-ballet, Mano a Mano - a tribute to the bullfighter Manolete; and Federico, a celebration of the life of Federico García Lorca.
Carlota Santana was designated The Keeper of Flamenco by Dance Magazine recognizing her commitment to creating new works and developing young artists and choreographers. She has pledged the Company to the mission of building bridges between cultures using the universal spirit of Flamenco.
Ms. Santana began her career with the María Alba Spanish Dance Company and continued performing in the U.S. as a soloist with José Molina, Roberto Cartagena, and Rosario Galán. In Spain, she performed at the Tablao Arcos de Cuchilleros and worked with such masters as Carmen Mora, Paco Fernández, La Tati, and Ciro. Under a grant from the U.S.-Spain Joint Committee for Educational and Cultural Exchange, Ms. Santana worked in Seville with the renowned artist Manuela Carrasco. Her independent work has been most strongly influenced aesthetically by her mentors María Alba in New York and Carmen Mora in Madrid.
Ms. Santana created the company's innovative arts-in-education program, integrating Spanish dance and culture with the school curriculum. The Company has also created, in conjunction with Lincoln Center Institute, an arts education performance piece entitled Inesperanza, as well as the popular Amigos Españoles, a young persons exciting journey through Spain.
Ms. Santana is on the panel for the New York State Council on the Arts and has served on the panel for the National Endowment for the Arts. She is on the faculty of Duke University, has taught at Long Island and New York Universities. Ms. Santana is a recent recipient of a Choreographer fellowship from the North Carolina Arts Council and is a member of the Board of Directors of Arts North Carolina.
Under her artistic direction, the company has performed at Lincoln Center, The Joyce Theater, The New Victory Theater, Summerdance Santa Barbara, Carnegie Music Hall in Pittsburgh, Society of the Four Arts in Palm Beach, Van Wezel Performing Arts Center in Sarasota, Universidad Bucaramanga in South America, Palacio de Congresos in Granada, Spain, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the Museum of Modern Art among many, many others.
Standard YouTube License
- 14:24 Fanny Ara L.A TV aug 09by Fanny Ara9,354 views
- 6:52 tango flamencoby carolina2602821,125,756 views
- 14:37 Caminos Flamencos - "Suite de Cadiz" - December 20, 2009 - Cowell Theater, San Franciscoby Jason McGuire279,830 views
- 6:38 Tango Flamenco (ARMIK)by Sidney Gavin2,747,075 views
- 7:33 Guajira - flamencoby khusroks509,871 views
- 137 videos Play all Flamencoby CurvyCreature
- 4:54 Happy Go Lucky - Flamencoby tweakends103,604 views
- 46:53 Spanish Sunset-Flamenco Chill-Out Experienceby atlantikskopje2970,208 views
- 9:59 "Flamenco Vivo", show del grupo 'Sabor Flamenco'by gregcama13,976 views
- 3:57 Flamenco Vivo Carlota Santana en ABRAPALABRA 2009 - Ensayosby EL CARTEL5,308 views
- 6:36 Stéphane Lambiel - Flamencoby swissmissvids111,325 views
- 3:49 Flamenco Vivo Carlota Santana Promotional Video 2012by Flamenco Vivo Carlota Santana2,270 views
- 5:40 Flamenco Vivo Carlota Santanaby OnlyInOgden4,706 views
- 8:31 Flamenco Danceby Celina Zambon2,724,116 views
- 5:39 Flamenco Vivo Carlota Santanaby Flamenco Vivo Carlota Santana3,078 views
- 5:38 Maria Pages - Firedanceby zaknata1,613,312 views
- 4:02 "Jardin de Rosas" nuevo video de Rojoby isaacgalin190,971 views
- Flamenco Vivo Carlota Santana 24 videos53
- 1:22:34 "El Sol, la Sal, el Son" Flamenco desde Sevillaby canalsur863,886 views
- 3:06 Chopin Flamencoby Miguel Czachowski36,586 views