80 Year Old Climbs Mount Everest - Yuichiro Miura - May 23, 2013
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 23, 2013
An 80-year-old Japanese mountaineer has become the oldest person to reach the top of Mount Everest - although his record may last only a few days. An 81-year-old Nepalese man, who held the previous record, plans his own ascent next week.
Yuichiro Miura, who also conquered the 29,035-foot (8,850-meter) peak when he was 70 and 75, reached the summit at 9:05 am local time today, according to a Nepalese mountaineering official and Miura's Tokyo-based support team.
Miura and his son Gota called them from the summit, prompting his daughter Emili to smile broadly and clap her hands in footage on public broadcaster NHK.
"I made it!" Miura said over the phone. "I never imagined I could make it to the top of Mt. Everest at age 80. This is the world's best feeling, although I'm totally exhausted. Even at 80, I can still do quite well."
The climbers planned to stick around the summit for about half an hour, take photos and then start to descend, his office said.
Nepalese mountaineering official Gyanendra Shrestha, at Everest base camp, confirmed that Miura had reached the summit, making him the oldest person to do so.
The previous oldest was Nepal's Min Bahadur Sherchan, who accomplished the feat at age 76 in 2008, just a day before Miura reached the top at age 75.
Sherchan, now 81, was preparing to scale the peak next week despite digestive problems he suffered several days ago. Yesterday, Sherchan said by telephone from the base camp that he was in good health and "ready to take up the challenge."
Sherchan's team is also facing financial difficulties. It hasn't received the financial help that the Nepal government announced it would provide them. Purna Chandra Bhattarai, chief of Nepal's mountaineering department, said the aid proposal was still under consideration.
On his expedition's website, Miura explained his attempt to scale Everest at such an advanced age: "It is to challenge (my) own ultimate limit. It is to honor the great Mother Nature."
He said a successful climb would raise the bar for what is possible.
"And if the limit of age 80 is at the summit of Mt. Everest, the highest place on earth, one can never be happier," he said.
Miura conquered the mountain despite undergoing heart surgery in January for irregular heartbeat, or arrhythmia, his fourth heart operation since 2007, according to his daughter. He also fractured his pelvis and left thigh bone in a 2009 skiing accident.
Miura became famous when he was a young man as a daredevil speed skier.
He skied down Everest's South Col in 1970, using a parachute to brake his descent. The feat was captured in the Oscar-winning 1975 documentary, The Man Who Skied Down Everest. He has also skied down Mt. Fuji.
It wasn't until Miura was 70, however, that he first climbed all the way to the summit of Everest. When he summited again at 75, he claimed to be the only man to accomplish the feat twice in his 70s. After that, he said he was determined to climb again at age 80.
Standard YouTube License
- 14:50 16x9 - Frozen in Time: Missing climber Holland's body found frozen 21 years laterby 16x9onglobal158,131 views
- 14:17 Thame school Golden Jubilee Celebrations ..[ june 3ed and 4th 2013 ]by lhakpa Sherpa412 views
- 31:39 National Geographic Live! - The Call of Everestby National Geographic58,102 views
- 8:37 Teen Climber: Too Young to Scale Mt. Everest?by ABC News73,706 views
- 1:46:23 Werner Herzog - Schrei Aus Stein (1991) - Scream of Stone - No coracao da montanhaby industriadeplasticos16,653 views
- 22:00 Inside the 1996 Everest Disaster - Ken Kamlerby ForaTv1,045,367 views
- 14:47 Everest - The Death Zone (Part One)by TheWorldIsBiggerThanMe300,267 views
- 57:34 The Nepal Documentaryby wwwcelticvideocom225,437 views
- 6:41 Mount Everest Mallory & Irvine 1924 Discovery Of Mallory's bodyby AllanHunter1819,257 views
- 6:13 Agriculture Development .... in Nepal ....by Nabaraj subedi20,565 views
- 44:03 Mt. Everest How it was made HD 1080pby mavireck127,972 views
- 6:12 Sherpas fight westerners on Everestby Channel 4 News10,736 views
- 10:12 A Dong Silk Tailors, Custom Made Suits, Travel and Shopping in Hoi An, Vietnamby A Dong Silk Tailors5,179 views
- 6:03 Old Nepali movie song:- Basa Hai Aama - Lahureby Dil jung Tamu17,196 views
- 3:06 SEIKO MIURA EVEREST 2013by SeikoWatchJapan3,435 views
- 9:59 Yuichiro Miura of Japan - 80 years young - becomes oldest to climb Mount Everestby thisisguavo Media416 views
- 56:24 Climbing MT Everest with a Mountain on My Back The Sherpa's Story BBC full documentary 2013 nepalby Mrbikiwiki2012247,848 views
- 7:14 Fujica Single-8 promo film - Flashing Down Mount Fujiby rene35d1,237 views
- 4:33 Landing On Mount Everest Summit - Worlds First!! Euro Team!!by EuroSon99184,410 views
- 14:59 Mt Everest IMAX - the dream is aliveby busybob25313,140 views
- Loading more suggestions...