Joel Freeman's Black History Collection at United Nations Slave Trade Exhibit (2011 & 2012)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 6, 2011
http://www.freemaninstitute.com/galle... -- Twenty original documents and artifacts from The Freeman Institute Black History Collection were showcased at the United Nations Transatlantic Slave Trade exhibition (March - May 2011).
Joel Freeman speaks all over the world on various topics (leadership, emotional intelligence, conflict resolution, diversity...) to many different organizations.
After years of research, Dr. Joel A. Freeman has cobbled together a rather remarkable Black History collection of well over 3,000 genuine documents and artifacts. The oldest piece is dated 1553 -- http://www.freemaninstitute.com/bhc.htm
One of the items that was exhibited at the United Nations was a priceless 50 pound slave ball found off the coast of Florida at the site of the oldest documented slave ship wreck, the Henrietta Marie. The ship sank sometime between June and July of 1700.
Another item was an authentic metal neck piece, designed to be welded permanently around the neck of a young female slave. It has metal balls and rings incorporated into the piece so that her movements could be detected at all times.
Another piece on exhibition was the one-of-a-kind 1833 document hand written by Lord Aberdeen, who at that time was the British Foreign Consul in Trieste, Italy. It announced what would happen to any British subject who was still involved in the Slave Trade. Aberdeen later became the Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Also included were two signed 1858 slave insurance policies from La Protectora, an insurance company in Cuba, providing proof that slave traders routinely covered the people they enslaved with life insurance policies. Consequently, they didn't care if they had to push slaves overboard or even if the slaves lived or died on the voyage. The traders were paid regardless.
Many other items were also on display, including: engravings of slave ships, a document about a Chinese slave in Cuba written in Chinese on one side and Spanish on the other, a 14-page hand written Peruvian register (1811) from San Bartolome' Hospital (built in the late 1600s) listing the African slaves, and an extremely rare plaque (Eastgate Pottery) commemorating William Wilberforce and his anti-slavery campaign.
The Freeman Institute Black History Collection is utilized by The Freeman Institute Foundation to help establish Black History Galleries across America and in selected communities internationally -- designed to educate and inspire young people of all ages -- http://www.freemaninstitute.com/galle...
In 2012 the United Nation invited Dr. Freeman to showcase 20 more documents and artifacts in the "Transatlantic Slave Trade" exhibition (March - May, 2012). This is the 2nd year Dr. Freeman has participated in this particular exhibition.
Also, the United Nations is continuing to show documents from The Freeman Institute Black History Collection in their on-going exhibition traveling around the world. Already eleven nations have signed on (Madagascar, Colombia, Switzerland, Senegal, Trinidad & Tobago, Bolivia, etc.), with more countries expressing interest in hosting the exhibit.
For pictures of some of the items go to
To learn more:
Freeman Institute: http://www.freemaninstitute.com
Return To Glory (book/film): http://www.returntoglory.org
Freeman Institute Foundation: http://www.freemaninstitute.com/found...
Black History Presentations with Dr. Freeman: http://www.freemaninstitute.com/RTGse...
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Vision" on
- 14:27 Britain's Black Historyby conquerorthefirst . Featured 2,209
- 28:01 Return To Glory - Part 1by ManyMoods032,609 views
- 3:43:35 Slavery And The Making Of Americaby Luminary_Aurora21,007 views
- 1:50:46 Katrina Browne tells Muta her Family was the biggest Slave traders in the USAby DUKE BAYSEE1,029 views
- 1:13:23 Slave Narratives Fullby Christina Moore111,917 views
- 1:22:50 Journey through Slavery prt 1 - Terrible Transformationby Little dread66,047 views
- 3:23 Joel Freeman on Fox News Channel: Black History Collection & the UN (2011 & 2012)by Joel Freeman8,166 views
- 53:34 Black History Lost, Stolen or Strayed Fullby Yolanda Sumlin13,098 views
- 1:14:34 TOTR Productions Presents: UnTold Black History...EVERYONE'S HISTORYby Ashamed2BHere14,629 views
- 7:02 Return To Glory [Part 1]: The Powerful Stirring of the Blackmanby CentralSource1,360 views
- 1:20:05 "I AM SLAVE"  FULL MOVIE! (TRUTHLIVES)by Roxine Cherie' Evans95,812 views
- 58:37 Slavery in Jamaica HDby Little dread17,190 views
- 58:35 Henry Louis Gates: Genealogy and African American Historyby University of California Television (UCTV)31,534 views
- 10:01 Joel Freeman: Ancient Egypt (The Untold Facts)by PoeticalTv15,617 views
- 8:00 Return To Glory [Part 3]: The Powerful Stirring of the Blackmanby CentralSource855 views
- 44:00 The Secret History of Ancient Black America as Proven by European Archaeologistby Dr2tan59,158 views
- 37:56 IOG - Black History Told By The Prophets - Pt. 1 - COLORby IOGNEWS9,767 views
- 18:52 The Black History Deceptionby Shawn Lov24,521 views
- 49:59 An Overview of the African Slave Trade (Full Documentary)by Askia N'Dria7,052 views
- 3:50 Joel Freeman's View of the Sphinx of Giza Controversy: What Happened to its Nose & Lips?by Joel Freeman8,559 views
- Loading more suggestions...