How To Improvise with Trumpeter Charlie Porter
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 23, 2012
Charlie is available for Online Trumpet & Jazz Improv. Lessons via Skype or in person if you are in the NYC area. Please visit:
Notes on How To Improvise:
Learning how to improvise can be an easy and systematic when approached in a way that is as natural as how we learned to speak.
We are all natural improvisers! We do it every day through our speech and our movement. We don't carry around scripts to have conversations with people...we IMPROVISE.
Learning to improvise musically is the same process. Before a baby learns how to talk, she or he hears and imitates the sounds they hear (wouldn't it be insane for a parent to hand their newborn a stack of English Grammar books and expect them to speak?). After that, through context, they learn what those sounds mean and assimilate that knowledge into their thought processes until they don't have to think about it anymore. The third step, after imitating the sounds and forming words and an understanding of them, is to combine them in constantly ever-changing ways and even changing the words themselves...or innovation.
These three steps: 1. Imitation, 2. Assimilation and 3. Innovation (given to me by the great Clark Terry) are the cornerstone of my own method for beginning improvisation.
First you learn a melody by ear on your instrument...by imitating it note for note. Start with a simple song, like a nursery song.
Then apply my three step method to the song:
1. Play rhythmic variations while not adding any new pitches
2. Add new pitches while keeping the Melody and its rhythm the same
3. Do not play the melody, but play a counter-melody while hearing the melody in your mind.
After first learning a melody through "imitation", these 3 steps will help you to "assimilate" the information of the song, since they require you to think more specifically about the rhythm and harmony. They will also help you start the process of "innovation", since you are adding elements to the melody that were not there and making it your own.
Hope this video helps! If you need further help, I am available for lessons in person and via skype, as well as for master classes in the New York area.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:28:25 A Trumpeter's Resourceby The United States Army Field Band Featured 42,377
- 36:22 The "Three Compressions" by Trumpeter Charlie Porterby Charlie Porter25,950 views
- 11:33 Special Effects (Part I) Trumpet Tips & Tricks with Charlie Porterby Charlie Porter151,635 views
- 11:45 How to Form a Trumpet Embouchure - Trumpet Tips & Tricks with Charlie Porterby Charlie Porter135,082 views
- 7:49 Jazz Articulation (Part I) Trumpet Tips & Tricks with Charlie Porterby Charlie Porter41,417 views
- 59:23 Dave Frank: Breakthrough To Improv: The Secrets of Improvisationby Froniwo34,993 views
- 8:24 Exploring Pedal Tones (Pedal C to Double C) Trumpet Tips & Tricks with Charlie Porterby Charlie Porter93,421 views
- 12 videos Play all Improvisationby jazz054
- 6:55 Mutes (Part II) Trumpet Tips & Tricks with Charlie Porterby Charlie Porter18,969 views
- 5:47 bach vs yamaha trumpetby INFI LLC56,126 views
- 42:19 Master Class with Clark Terry - The Performanceby ArtistsHouseMusic34,341 views
- 3:51 How Jazz Musicians Improvise - Billy Taylorby Jazz Video Guy97,651 views
- 5:45 Learning Jazz Improvisation Faster, Any Jazz Instrument, Any Level learnjazzfaster.comby Learn Jazz Faster16,525 views
- 8:42 Stuck Mouthpieces: Trumpet Instrument Repairby The United States Army Field Band42,154 views
- 5:23 How to improve your high register on the trumpetby BrassMusicianDotCom87,645 views
- 16:55 Strange Trumpet Sounds - Bible Prophecy? (James L. Paris)by James L Paris524,391 views
- 2:08 Sergei Nakariakov & Arturo Sandovalby kruzzik45,372 views
- 10:01 How to use Chromatics in Jazz improvisationby JazzEveryone64,352 views
- 0:42 Guinness Record Trumpet High Note FFFby CAPTAINQUINN699,397 views
- 12:43 Exercise to Improve Double Tonguing Technique On Trumpetby Tyler Nettestad76,238 views