How To Improvise with Trumpeter Charlie Porter
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 23, 2012
Charlie is available for Online Trumpet & Jazz Improv. Lessons via Skype or in person if you are in the NYC area. Please visit:
Notes on How To Improvise:
Learning how to improvise can be an easy and systematic when approached in a way that is as natural as how we learned to speak.
We are all natural improvisers! We do it every day through our speech and our movement. We don't carry around scripts to have conversations with people...we IMPROVISE.
Learning to improvise musically is the same process. Before a baby learns how to talk, she or he hears and imitates the sounds they hear (wouldn't it be insane for a parent to hand their newborn a stack of English Grammar books and expect them to speak?). After that, through context, they learn what those sounds mean and assimilate that knowledge into their thought processes until they don't have to think about it anymore. The third step, after imitating the sounds and forming words and an understanding of them, is to combine them in constantly ever-changing ways and even changing the words themselves...or innovation.
These three steps: 1. Imitation, 2. Assimilation and 3. Innovation (given to me by the great Clark Terry) are the cornerstone of my own method for beginning improvisation.
First you learn a melody by ear on your instrument...by imitating it note for note. Start with a simple song, like a nursery song.
Then apply my three step method to the song:
1. Play rhythmic variations while not adding any new pitches
2. Add new pitches while keeping the Melody and its rhythm the same
3. Do not play the melody, but play a counter-melody while hearing the melody in your mind.
After first learning a melody through "imitation", these 3 steps will help you to "assimilate" the information of the song, since they require you to think more specifically about the rhythm and harmony. They will also help you start the process of "innovation", since you are adding elements to the melody that were not there and making it your own.
Hope this video helps! If you need further help, I am available for lessons in person and via skype, as well as for master classes in the New York area.
Standard YouTube License
- 36:22 The "Three Compressions" by Trumpeter Charlie Porterby Charlie PorterFeatured 15,819
- 12:43 Exercise to Improve Double Tonguing Technique On Trumpetby Tyler Nettestad 40,295 views
- 8:42 Stuck Mouthpieces: Trumpet Instrument Repairby The United States Army Field Band 18,321 views
- 6:06 05/04/11 Mouthpiece Sizesby MysterytoMastery.Com Channel 21,183 views
- 3:16 How to Play The Trumpet Lick from "Dizzy Atmosphere" - Trumpet Tips & Tricks w/Charlie Porterby Charlie Porter 28,862 views
- 7:09 How to Play High Notes On the Trumpet!by StudyMusicOnline 303,970 views
- Trumpet 114,194 videos336
- 9:04 Arturo Sandoval "There Will Never Be Another You"by KPLU885 445,871 views
- 10:01 Chromatic Drills - www.jazzeveryone.comby JazzEveryone 48,386 views
- 7:49 Jazz Articulation (Part I) Trumpet Tips & Tricks with Charlie Porterby Charlie Porter 27,488 views
- 8:24 Exploring Pedal Tones (Pedal C to Double C) Trumpet Tips & Tricks with Charlie Porterby Charlie Porter 77,899 views
- 1:33 Trumpet - The Pentatonic Scaleby Baylis Court Music Department 26,774 views
- 3:51 How Jazz Musicians Improvise - Billy Taylorby JazzVideoGuy 76,343 views
- 3:50 Intrada for Trumpet and Piano by Arthur Honegger performed by Charlie Porterby Charlie Porter 4,625 views
- 9:48 Jeff Stout Soloing Private Lessonby berkleevideoservices 14,583 views
- 5:45 Learning Jazz Improvisation Faster, Any Jazz Instrument, Any Level learnjazzfaster.comby Learn Jazz Faster 11,855 views
- 13:08 Autumn Leaves - Wynton Marsalis Quintet at Ronnie Scott's 2011by Wynton Marsalis 18,592 views
- 2:08 Sergei Nakariakov & Arturo Sandovalby kruzzik 34,200 views
- 10:54 Trumpet Lesson #4 - Range and Enduranceby 215th Army Band - Massachussetts Army National Guard 146,575 views
- 10:00 Half Diminished Licks and Tricks - presented by Willie Thomas of Jazz Everyone.comby JazzEveryone 27,556 views
- 11:45 How to Form a Trumpet Embouchure - Trumpet Tips & Tricks with Charlie Porterby Charlie Porter 101,669 views
- Loading more suggestions...