Velocity 2012: Richard Cook, "How Complex Systems Fail"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 27, 2012
Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm
Dr. Richard Cook is the Professor of Healthcare Systems Safety and Chairman of the Department of Patient Safety at the Kungliga Techniska Hogskolan (the Royal Institute of Technology) in Stockholm, Sweden. He is a practicing physician, researcher and educator.
Dr. Cook graduated with honors from Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin where he was a Scholar of the University. He worked in the computer industry in supercomputer system design and engineering applications. He received the MD degree from the University of Cincinnati in 1986 where he was a General Surgery intern. Between 1987 and 1991 he was researcher on expert human performance in Anesthesiology and Industrial and Systems Engineering at The Ohio State University. He completed an Anesthesiology residency at Ohio State in 1994. From November 1994 until April 2012 he was faculty in the Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care of the University of Chicago.
Dr. Cook was a member of the Board of the National Patient Safety Foundation from its inception until 2007. He is internationally recognized as a leading expert on medical accidents, complex system failures, and human performance at the sharp end of these systems. He has investigated a variety of problems in such diverse areas as urban mass transportation, semiconductor manufacturing, and military software systems. He is often a consultant for not-for-profit organizations, government agencies, and academic groups. He does not do any expert witness testimony for litigation.
Dr. Cook's most often cited publications are "Gaps in the continuity of patient care and progress in patient safety", "Operating at the Sharp End: The complexity of human error", "Adapting to New Technology in the Operating Room", and the report "A Tale of Two Stories: Contrasting Views of Patient Safety"
Standard YouTube License
- 18:39 Velocity 2013: Kate Matsudaira, "If You Don't Understand People, You Don't Understand Ops"by OreillyMedia2,553 views
- 19:10 Velocity NY 2013: Richard Cook, "Resilience In Complex Adaptive Systems"by OreillyMedia1,459 views
- 35:46 Velocity 2012: Jay Parikh, "Building for a Billion Users"by OreillyMedia10,297 views
- 17:18 Velocity 2013: Dylan Richard, "Gamedays on the Obama Campaign"by OreillyMedia893 views
- 24:30 Richard Stallman: We're heading for a total disasterby RT219,338 views
- 2:44 Ex-Scientologis t OUTS TRAVOLTAby BerthaTheToaster200,937 views
- 1:42:30 22. Emergence and Complexityby StanfordUniversity58,438 views
- 56:34 Machine Learning: The Basics, with Ron Bekkermanby LinkedInTechTalks20,179 views
- 1:24:00 Designing Influence in Complex Adaptive Systems of Systems: CASoS Engineering: Robert J. Glassby UVMcomplexity767 views
- 7:52 Introduction to Complex Systems: Patterns in Natureby Ilana Schoenfeld1,222 views
- 56:37 Engineering Complex Systems and Complex Systems Engineeringby NorthwesternU7,331 views
- 19:18 Qu'est ce que la pensée systémique, les systèmes complexes - Donella Meadowsby Jérôme HOARAU3,034 views
- 1:18:03 Lecture II - What Is Stability in Today's Complex Financial Systems?by Santa Fe Institute1,560 views
- 33:11 Modeling Complex Systemsby Stanford Complexity Group740 views
- 7:00 Complex systems science: a short film 2/4by Foton Labs1,115 views
- 1:43:38 Chaos, systèmes complexes, omniprésence et féconditéby AlexandrePasserelles5,617 views
- 5:51 Complex systems theory: a short film 1/4by Foton Labs3,285 views
- 4:00 Complex systems: an overviewby Foton Labs1,131 views
- 29:19 Video: Puppet Labs Datacenter Automationby RichReport10,166 views
- 3:45 Machine Safety Systems: An open door to smarter operationsby Electrical Engineering Resource639 views
- Loading more suggestions...