Mallika Dutt: The "war on women" is bigger than you think
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 25, 2012
As the Supreme Court considers key elements of Arizona's SB 1070 law, which legalizes racial profiling of and blatant discrimination against immigrant communities and people of color, stories from around the country show that this and other laws like it, such as Alabama's H.B. 56. are causing intense damage to families, communities and economies, with devastating consequences for immigrant women.
These laws leave parents unable to protect their children. They force women to choose between the threat of an abusive husband and the threat of deportation if they call the police. They send pregnant mothers to give birth in shackles with federal agents by their side.
As part of a delegation to Birmingham, Alabama with the We Belong Together campaign, Breakthrough president Mallika Dutt connects the dots between Arizona's SB 1070 law, copycat state laws that followed it in states such as Georgia and Alabama, and the "war on women." The war on immigrants and the escalating "war on women" are part of one sweeping crusade against the fundamental rights of all women living in the United States, documented and otherwise.
So as the Supreme Court hears this challenge, it's time for us to protect the true American values of diversity and democracy, dignity and respect. It's time for those of us outraged by women's human rights violations across borders and oceans to support women's human rights at home. We're here to stand up for the rights of all women in the United States. Are you?
Tweet this: I'm here to support the human rights of all women in the United States. Are you? #im here" #immigration #waronwomen
Standard YouTube License
- 3:48 DESERTED: The Human Rights Crisis on Our Soilby LetsBreakthrough 2,097 views
- 4:43 Mallika Dutt on Homeland Guantanamosby LetsBreakthrough 611 views
- 1:38 Mallika Dutt speaks at International Women's Day 2012by LetsBreakthrough 119 views
- 1:28 Unite Against the War on Women -- "Where are the Women?"by 1GEntertainment's channel 3,980 views
- 1:51 Unite Against the War on Women -- "Calling all Moms"by 1GEntertainment's channel 2,773 views
- 1:11 Unite Against the War on Women -- CALL TO ACTION!by 1GEntertainment's channel 7,996 views
- 17:59 Innovation in Human Rights : Mallika Dutt at TEDxGatewayby TEDxTalks 2,859 views
- 5:12 Unite Against The War on Women Marchby The Red Wound Circus 4,359 views
- 1:58 Discrimination Rising Against Multicultural Families: Surveyby arirangnews 360 views
- 1:38 Unite Against the War on Women -- Protest 4.28.12!!!by 1GEntertainment's channel 3,975 views
- 5:42 EEP Empowering Women in Nicaraguaby Earth Education Project (EEP) channel 751 views
- 15:56 Djibouti human rights violations: Warren Createsby Djibouti channel 891 views
- 55:54 Rebuilding Lives: Stories of Immigrant Women in Edmonton Part 3by Paula E. Kirman 149 views
- 26:39 Secretary Clinton Delivers Remarks at the 2012 Women in the World Summitby statevideo 52,394 views
- 4:17 Bill Maher on IRS Scandal - Real Time May 17, 2013by BrandonG135 12,957 views
- 32:00 President Obama Delivers Morehouse College Commencement Addressby The White House 55,424 views
- 10:48 How Diverse Immigration Threatens Women's Rightsby tsccom 491 views
- 9:14 Congressional Briefing on Women, Children and Immigration Enforcementby domesticworkers 150 views
- 2:45 Arab Women in Gulf Gain Some Rightsby VOAvideo 11,575 views
- 1:57 Immigration to Canada: A few things that you should know!by FactXTract 18,243 views
- Loading more suggestions...