Rangel: "What is it that these Republicans are drinking...?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 1, 2012
August 1, 2012 - Rep. Charles Rangel joins CPC Members at a Wednesday press conference in taking a stand against any plan that benefits the richest two percent of Americans at everyone else's expense. The following is a transcript of Rep. Rangel's remarks:
"They just don't give up on the common sense. I don't know where the rest of the country is. After listening to the Republican debates for the president, I thought I was in the land of the Wizard of Oz in terms of what they thought was good for our great nation. This is a nation that is built on the middle class, not built on two percent of the people who are blessed with more money than they can ever dream of spending.
"Not based on the unfortunate that are hungry, that need health care, that are homeless, that are without jobs. It's based on the dreams of people who have come here to believe that they can do better for themselves and for their kids. These are the people that have disposable income, these are the people that purchase, these are the people that go to the local stores. And if we don't have them active they can't buy. If they can't buy, people can't sell. If they can't sell, they can't hire and that's what employment is all about.
"It's more than just money. It's the self-esteem of being able to sit down with your family and ask whether you got to get a new car, whether you got to get a better home, whether or not your kids can go to a better school. What is it that these Republicans are drinking that they truly believe that these are the people that built this great country who have to be held hostage, while they fulfill their commitment to less than 2 percent of the population?
"They are wrong morally. They are wrong fiscally. And I only hope this: I hope that the American people that listen to us—listen to the Progressive Caucus—can go to their churches, go to their synagogues, go to their mosque, and get them to understand that what we are talking about... On every one of their holy days they talk about it. Now is the time for them to ask: 'Do we as a nation—as we support capitalism as the best economic system that there is—do we still at the same time as a nation have to treat the lesser of our brothers and sisters with that same amount of respect?' And I don't care what religion it is. It seems to me that the hungry, the aged, the children, and all of those who have been disenfranchised, all that are vulnerable, that this is also a spiritual movement that we're talking about.
"So let me thank the leadership because giving up is so easy to do. Laying back saying, 'Let them work it out in Congress' is the easy thing to do. But one day—one day—your kids and grandkids was asking: 'When they were driving the country over the cliff, what were you doing?' So thank god for the—literally thank god—for the Progressive Caucus. And I'm so proud to be a member. You keep pushing, we keep responding."
Standard YouTube License
- 29:04 Black History Month Special: Rangel interview w/ Rep. Ed Towns - Political News & Viewsby Congressman Charles B. Rangel241 views
- 4:29 Rangel speaks about his service in The Korean War for Memorial Day Weekendby Congressman Charles B. Rangel173 views
- 6:47 Rep. Charles Rangel's H Res. 376 - Calling for Repatriation of POW/MIAs from the Korean Warby Congressman Charles B. Rangel546 views
- 7:10 Rangel Speaks At Puerto Rican Hispanic Elderly, Inc. Annual Conferenceby Congressman Charles B. Rangel217 views
- 6:26 Michele Bachmann VS Charlie Rangel on Obamacare - Crossfire - CNN - Sep 19 2013by JonStewartKnows1,930 views
- 5:35 Rangel Adresses House on 1% Controlling America's Wealthby Congressman Charles B. Rangel235 views
- 6:26 Michele Bachmann VS Charlie Rangel on Obamacare - Crossfire - CNN - 9/19/13by MichaelSavage4Prez9,325 views
- 4:49 Rep Rangel: "Reinstate military draft before going to war"by Congressman Charles B. Rangel456 views
- 9:49 Rangel: Let's ensure our soldiers and vets are taken care of abroad AND at homeby Congressman Charles B. Rangel77 views
- 4:14 Interfaith Press Conference - Rep. Rangelby Congressman Charles B. Rangel306 views
- 3:36 Rep. Charles Rangel Honors Black History Month 2012by Congressman Charles B. Rangel361 views
- 2:58 Rep. Rangel on the Ryan Budget and Healthcareby Congressman Charles B. Rangel297 views
- 25:52 What is it like to be DEAF?by Iamdeffamilia146,315 views
- 6:26 Michele Bachmann, Charlie Rangel, Van Jones Battle Over Obamacare on Crossfire - CNN - 9/19/13by WeAreTheSavageNation3,296 views
- 4:10 Rep. Rangel on the Ryan vs President Obama's 2013 budgetby Congressman Charles B. Rangel527 views
- 6:32 Rangel: Criminal Justice System makes little senseby Congressman Charles B. Rangel538 views
- 4:35 Republicans, Are You Listening? Extend Unemployment Insurance! - Rep. Rangelby Congressman Charles B. Rangel628 views
- 9:38 Laura Ingraham vs. Charlie Rangel - Smack down debate - The Factor - 8-18-11by RightSightings400 views
- 6:11 The Newsroom - Tea Party is the American Talibanby RagingScottish2,427,474 views
- 20:53 MICHELE BACHMANN vs CHARLIE RANGEL "Watch The Phoenix Rise From The Ashes Charlie!"by MOXNEWSd0tC0M3,567 views
- Loading more suggestions...