Elizabeth Warren EMBARRASSES Bank Regulators At First Hearing
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 14, 2013
warren bank hearing | Warren questioned top regulators from the alphabet soup that is the nation's financial regulatory structure: the FDIC, SEC, OCC, CFPB, CFTC, Fed and Treasury. Elizabeth Warren is the truth!!!! show your support http://www.warren.senate.gov/
The Democratic senator from Massachusetts had a straightforward question for them: When was the last time you took a Wall Street bank to trial? It was a harder question than it seemed.
"We do not have to bring people to trial," Thomas Curry, head of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, assured Warren, declaring that his agency had secured a large number of "consent orders," or settlements.
"I appreciate that you say you don't have to bring them to trial. My question is, when did you bring them to trial?" she responded.
"We have not had to do it as a practical matter to achieve our supervisory goals," Curry offered.
Warner turned to Elisse Walter, chair of the Securities and Exchange Commission, who said that the agency weighs how much it can extract from a bank without taking it to court against the cost of going to trial.
"I appreciate that. That's what everybody does," said Warren, a former Harvard law professor. "Can you identify the last time when you took the Wall Street banks to trial?"
"I will have to get back to you with specific information," Walter said as the audience tittered.
"There are district attorneys and United States attorneys out there every day squeezing ordinary citizens on sometimes very thin grounds and taking them to trial in order to make an example, as they put it. I'm really concerned that 'too big to fail' has become 'too big for trial,'" Warren said.
A Warren constituent, open-Internet activist Aaron Swartz, recently committed suicide after being hounded by federal prosecutors who reportedly said they wanted to "make an example" of him. Warren had met and said she admired Swartz and, after he died, expressed her concern by attending his memorial in Washington.
The financial regulators can blame, at least in part, Wall Street lobbyists (along with outgoing Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner and Senate Republicans) for their embarrassing turn at the hearing. Warren would have been on the panel herself representing the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, instead of a sitting senator, if her nomination to head the agency hadn't been thwarted in 2011.
Standard YouTube License
- 9:11 Elizabeth Warren Smacks Down Wall Street Bankersby TheYoungTurksFeatured 57,245
- 6:00 Elizabeth Warren : Classic Takedown of Geithner Over TARP Bailout (from 2009) - MUST SEE !!!by Marie Marr 3,550 views
- 5:37 Elizabeth Warren Grills Ben Bernanke on 'Too Big to Fail'by djgabrielpresents 27,774 views
- 5:46 Elizabeth Warren to Geithner: It's called accountability! (4.29.09)by FinancialHands 31,268 views
- 11:30 Senator Elizabeth Warren: You Tube Sensation?by Marie Marr 1,603 views
- 4:56 Elizabeth Warren: Why Isn't Minimum Wage $22?by TBecketAdams 35,158 views
- 13:40 Obama Responds To Alex Jonesby TheAlexJonesChannel 665,967 views
- 1:07:04 Bill Maher - (2012) Crazy Stupid Politics [uncensored]by TheDustFactory 152,930 views
- 13:48 Senator Elizabeth Warren Grills Investigators Over Illegal Foreclosures MUST SEE !!by Marie Marr 6,547 views
- 9:26 Christopher Hitchens Debates Jon Stewart on Iraqby Mick drew 192,066 views
- 7:50 Elizabeth Warren "This Is Democracy!"by MOXNEWSd0tC0M 6,073 views
- 47:51 Richard Dawkins takes on Religion: Al-Jazeera TVby Freytrue 102,599 views
- 5:30 Bill O'Reilly Owned by Rapper Lupe Fiasco 6-22-2011by BombShellInfo 2,368,032 views
- 1:45 Chairman McHenry Calls Elizabeth Warren a Liar at Subcommittee Hearingby MainStreetInsider 399,369 views
- 6:11 Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA): We Need To Revise Both FHA And Fannie and Freddieby Marie Marr 334 views
- 4:32 Bill Maher : most Americans are Dumb and Uneducated - And he is 110% right, as always :)by muratshawn 1,249,346 views
- 9:31 Scaring Wall Street Thieves: Sen. Elizabeth Warren Making Big Noise in Congressby politicalarticles 722 views
- 5:14 Senator Elizabeth Warren: State of Mental Health Care Systemby Marie Marr 422 views
- 2:38 Ron Paul: Why Elizabeth Warren is Wrongby David Kretzmann 46,310 views
- 15:19 Too Big To Fail - TS SCENES (2011)by catahecasa 46,581 views
- Loading more suggestions...