Panorama - April Fool's Day Hoax - Spaghetti Harvest - 1st April 1957
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 1, 2009
On April 1, 1957 the British television programme Panorama broadcast a three-minute segment about a bumper spaghetti harvest in southern Switzerland. The success of the crop was attributed both to an unusually mild winter and to the virtual disappearance of the spaghetti weevil. The audience heard Richard Dimbleby, the shows highly respected anchor, discussing the details of the spaghetti crop as they watched video footage of a Swiss family pulling pasta off spaghetti trees and placing it into baskets. The segment concluded with the assurance that, For those who love this dish, theres nothing like real, home-grown spaghetti.
The Swiss Spaghetti Harvest hoax generated an enormous response. Hundreds of people phoned the BBC wanting to know how they could grow their own spaghetti tree. To this query the BBC diplomatically replied, Place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best.
To this day the Panorama broadcast remains one of the most famous and popular April Fools Day hoaxes of all time. It is also believed to be the first time the medium of television was used to stage an April Fools Day hoax.
Since 1955 Panorama had been anchored by Richard Dimbleby, whose authoritative, commanding presence had made him one of the most revered public figures in Britain. If Dimbleby said it, people trusted that it was true. Which is one of the reasons why the spaghetti harvest hoax fooled so many viewers. His participation lent the hoax an air of unimpeachable authority.
Almost no one else at the BBC knew about it. The segment was not mentioned at all in the pre-transmission publicity handouts.
The line-up for that days show included a long segment about Archbishop Makarios, leader of the Greek Cypriots, and a clip of the Duke of Edinburgh attending the premiere of the war film The Yangtse Incident.
The second-to-last segment was about a wine-tasting contest, and then it came time for the spaghetti harvest.
Dimbleby, sitting on the set of Panorama, looked into the camera and without a trace of a smile said: And now from wine to food. We end Panorama tonight with a special report from the Swiss Alps.
The screen cut away to the prepared footage. When it was all over, Dimbleby reappeared and said, Now we say goodnight, on this first day of April. He emphasized the final phrase.
Panorama never attempted another April Fools Day spoof, despite numerous calls for a sequel. However, the hoax did inspire a number of similar stunts in its honour.
This film footage is from the Archive Collection held and administered by the Alexandra Palace Television Society.
~ APTS ~
Preserving the televisual past for the digital future
Standard YouTube License
- 2:21 April Fool's Pranks - 10 Best Everby geobeatsFeatured 90,734
- 59:08 BBC Panorama - The Secrets of Scientologyby crushproof1966 91,641 views
- 4:05 Legal brothels in Nevada - Panorama - BBCby BBCExplore 331,048 views
- 6:45 The two ronnies - Fork handlesby millsy999kwl 2,400,786 views
- 1:40 Female hippo destroys lion pride.by ugIyguy121909 34,120,711 views
- 15:15 1 of 4 - Panorama: The Secrets of Scientologyby MrsEvilOfScientology 154,063 views
- 9:18 Top Ten April Fools Pranksby break 7,883,973 views
- 7:15 Magic trick: Convince your friends they're psychic! - Barry and Stuart - BBC Threeby BBC 346,225 views
- 1:22 Top 10 April Fool's Day Hoaxesby alltime10s 102,084 views
- 8:04 Panorama 1956 - Behind the scenes view of BBC Televisionby aptsarchive 8,170 views
- 5:39 April Fools prank on my dad - water, sticky notes, balloonsby Dan Ryckert 445,082 views
- 3:22 Easy Pranks For April Foolsby gigafide 103,690 views
- 2:22 Spaghetti Farming!by HalcyonicRepose 41,769 views
- April Fools' Day 41,720 videos83
- 1:51 10 Easy Pranks To Do For April Fools Dayby FunnyMeNow 334,375 views
- 10:29 Panorama - Bank Holiday - 1964by aptsarchive 1,545 views
- 1:43 Imagine . . . and then there was television - part sevenby aptsarchive 1,156 views
- 4:56 April Fool's 2010 - Decreased Gravityby teachinfourth 9,572 views
- 1:10 The Simpsons April Foolsby strightjoebob 508,579 views
- 6:07 April Fool's! AP01-Modified Turnipsby Urgelt 12,909 views
- 2:25 Home Grown Swiss Spaghetteby John Little 237,979 views
- Loading more suggestions...