WikiLeaks Iraq Shooting Video Analysis
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 5, 2010
A secret video showing US air crew falsely claiming to have encountered a firefight in Baghdad and then laughing at the dead after launching an air strike that killed a dozen people, including two Iraqis working for Reuters news agency, was revealed by Wikileaks today.
The footage of the July 2007 attack was made public in a move that will further anger the Pentagon, which has drawn up a report identifying the whistleblower website as a threat to national security. The US defence department was embarrassed when that confidential report appeared on the Wikileaks site last month alongside a slew of military documents.
The release of the video from Baghdad also comes shortly after the US military admitted that its special forces attempted to cover up the killings of three Afghan women in a raid in February by digging the bullets out of their bodies.
The newly released video of the Baghdad attacks was recorded on one of two Apache helicopters hunting for insurgents on 12 July 2007. Among the dead were a 22-year-old Reuters photographer, Namir Noor-Eldeen, and his driver, Saeed Chmagh, 40. The Pentagon blocked an attempt by Reuters to obtain the video through a freedom of information request. Wikileaks director Julian Assange said his organisation had to break through encryption by the military to view it.
In the recording, the helicopter crews can be heard discussing the scene on the street below. One American claims to have spotted six people with AK-47s and one with a rocket-propelled grenade. It is unclear if some of the men are armed but Noor-Eldeen can be seen with a camera. Chmagh is talking on his mobile phone.
One of the helicopter crew is then heard saying that one of the group is shooting. But the video shows there is no shooting or even pointing of weapons. The men are standing around, apparently unperturbed.
The lead helicopter, using the moniker Crazyhorse, opens fire. "Hahaha. I hit 'em," shouts one of the American crew. Another responds a little later: "Oh yeah, look at those dead bastards."
One of the men on the ground, believed to be Chmagh, is seen wounded and trying to crawl to safety. One of the helicopter crew is heard wishing for the man to reach for a gun, even though there is none visible nearby, so he has the pretext for opening fire: "All you gotta do is pick up a weapon." A van draws up next to the wounded man and Iraqis climb out. They are unarmed and start to carry the victim to the vehicle in what would appear to be an attempt to get him to hospital. One of the helicopters opens fire with armour-piercing shells. "Look at that. Right through the windshield," says one of the crew. Another responds with a laugh.
Sitting behind the windscreen were two children who were wounded.
After ground forces arrive and the children are discovered, the American air crew blame the Iraqis. "Well it's their fault for bringing kids in to a battle," says one. "That's right," says another.
Initially the US military said that all the dead were insurgents. Then it claimed the helicopters reacted to an active firefight. Assange said that the video demonstrated that neither claim was true.
"Why would anyone be so relaxed with two Apaches if someone was carrying an RPG and that person was an enemy of the United States?" he said. "The behaviour of the pilots is like a computer game. When Saeed is crawling, clearly unable to do anything, their response is: come on buddy, we want to kill you, just pick up a weapon ... It appears to be a desire to get a higher score, or a higher number of kills."
Wikileaks says it will shortly release a second secret US military video showing the deaths of civilians in an attack in Afghanistan. The Pentagon has been seeking ways to prevent classified material appearing on Wikileaks, including through "criminal sanctions". Wikileaks has made public classified US army reports on weapons, military units and battle strategy in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Read more at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/...
Watch The LARGEST Online News Show at http://www.theyoungturks.com
Standard YouTube License
Next in Best of 2010
- 6:06 DEATH FROM ABOVE!!! apache gunshipby AdnfullfuckFeatured 1,507,652
- 5:31 Crazy Iraq Hidden Camera Showby TheYoungTurks 311,776 views
- 41 videos Play all WikiLeaksby Archivian01
- 3:33 UK Teen Banned From America For Lifeby TheYoungTurks 106,372 views
- 7:30 O'Reilly & Palin WikiLeaks Outrageby TheYoungTurks 132,584 views
- 2:53 Limbaugh, Media Outrage Over Rep. Steve Cohen TYT Interviewby TheYoungTurks 26,097 views
- 41:55 Most Shocking - Undercover Stingsby EnglishWarrior500 1,983,048 views
- 4:35 Tucano T-27 shooting down drug dealers aircraftby 15091991 331,330 views
- 2:01 Reporters Sans Limites CIA Interrogation Tapes Found!.by صحافيون بلا قيود 1,105,993 views
- 4:39 Shooting Taliban snipers with .50 cal.wmvby danshakal1 2,426,294 views
- 1:31:20 national geographic inside the iraq warby deathclock2690 75,394 views
- 46:29 Interrogating Saddamby NationalGeographic 435,142 views
- 3:42 Dramatic Aerial Combat Footage from Afghanistan!by RARAssn 240,441 views
- 59:03 Secret Pakistan : Documentary by BBC Part 1 (Double Cross)by Punj River 693,981 views
- 0:31 مجاهدو القاعدة في ولاية جيجلby pegai2009 465,168 views
- 1:03 Beheading of an abused maid in saudi arabia.mp4by gunchurchtv 1,725,574 views
- 10:21 Latest News China Russia Preparing for World War 3by RajaaShabirVideomust 67,478 views
- 0:30 Tank rolls over a bombby SgtMattBaker1944 930,122 views
- 1:12 The AC-130H Spectre gunshipby Andy Warren 536,452 views
- 1:03 Your JAW will drop when you watch this video! *THATS JUST CRAZY*by F7U12 3,747,267 views
- 2:08 TSA Harassment!!! Videoby deivis Bertulis 9,903,402 views
- Loading more suggestions...