When Emotions Make Better Decisions - Antonio Damasio
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 11, 2009
Complete video at: http://fora.tv/2009/07/04/Antonio_Dam...
Antonio Damasio, noted researcher and professor of neuroscience at USC, explains how emotions are integral to decision-making. He discusses his experiences working with people with brain damage who are unable to decide things as simple as where to go to dinner.
Antonio Damasio, noted researcher and professor of neuroscience at USC, talks with The New York Times' David Brooks about emotions and the science of being human. He describes the difference between emotions and feelings, and explains why emotions are one of humanity's most important survival mechanisms. - Aspen Institute
Antonio Damasio is David Dornsife Professor of Neuroscience and Director of the Brain and Creativity Institute at the University of Southern California; he is also an adjunct professor at the Salk Institute. Damasio has made seminal contributions to the understanding of how the brain processes memory, language, emotions, and decisions. He has written several best-selling books, including Looking for Spinoza: Joy, Sorrow, and the Feeling Brain (Harcourt Trade Publishers, 2003) and Descartesâ€™ Error: Emotion, Reason and the Human Brain (G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1994). Damasio has received many awards, including the 2005 Asturias Prize in Science and Technology and the 2004 Signoret Prize. Damasio is a member of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences and a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
David Brooks became an op-ed columnist for The New York Times in September 2003. He had been an editor at The Wall Street Journal, a senior editor at The Weekly Standard, and a contributing editor at Newsweek and The Atlantic. Currently a commentator on The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer, he is also the author of Bobos in Paradise: The New Upper Class and How They Got There and On Paradise Drive: How We Live Now (And Always Have) in the Future Tense.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:22 When Instinct Trumps Reason - Jonah Lehrerby FORA.tvFeatured 14,924
- 2:24 Emotions and Evolution: What Would Genes Do? - Antonio Damasioby FORA.tv 13,768 views
- 4:20 The Power of Suggestion: How to Implant False Memoriesby ForaTv 54,741 views
- 19:55 We're All Predictably Irrational - Dan Arielyby FORA.tv 163,781 views
- 1:02:10 The Neuroscience of Emotionsby GoogleTechTalks 188,106 views
- 136 videos Play all The Study of Human Knowledgeby cjm73
- Antonio Damasio 186 videos53
- 10:01 The Conscious Brain - Professor Damasio (I)by pangeaprogressredux 12,532 views
- 18:44 David Brooks: The social animalby TEDtalksDirector 81,290 views
- 9:42 António Damásio Parte 1by HelenoPinhal 15,275 views
- 14:56 Jonah Lehrer: How We Decide 1/5by worldinformant 21,153 views
- 17:27 Dan Ariely asks, Are we in control of our decisions?by TEDtalksDirector 402,817 views
- 1:49 El cerebro, teatro de las emocionesby smartplanet 99,280 views
- 1:03 La educación emocionalby smartplanet 119,443 views
- 9:56 Part 3 of 5 - How to Make Better Decisions - BBC Horizonby CooCurrent 37,949 views
- 6:18 YouTube - Cerebro y emociones Antonio Damasio.flvby metodoneurostress 26,575 views
- 53:15 11. Evolution, Emotion, and Reason: Emotions, Part Iby YaleCourses 46,597 views
- 1:24:26 Brain Mind and Behavior: Emotions and Healthby UCTV, University of California Television 71,793 views
- 3:07 What Qualities Define the Self?by DrAntonioDamasio 5,000 views
- 1:36:36 Joseph LeDoux, Our emotional brains (2011 Copernicus Center Lecture)by CopernicusCenter 12,090 views
- 1:53 Malcolm Gladwell on the Beatles - Prodigies or Not?by ForaTv 26,133 views
- 18:21 Curious: Decisions, Decisionsby Thirteen WNET, New York Public Media 25,989 views
- Loading more suggestions...