Egypt's Maria TV Requires Women Wear Niqab Full Face Veil: Channel Director Calls it 'Freedom'
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 25, 2012
Female faces are absent from a new Egyptian TV station. Maria TV only features women who believe that God has commanded them to conceal their faces behind a full face veil known as a Niqab.
Station manager Ahmed Abdallah: "This is a victory for women who wear the niqab after many years of suffering political, social, moral and cultural exclusion by the secularists and under the umbrella of democracy. This prejudiced treatment, that went on for 50, 60, 70 years, is now over. I hereby announce a new free era for women who wear the niqab."
The channel's female stars, dressed from head to toe in long black robes and scarves with black gloves to match, are distinguishable only by their voices and the tiny sliver of their eyes. While some scholars say that the niqab is not mandatory in Islam, the practice has many devoted followers in Egypt.
Station director Heba Serag El Din: "I applied to many TV stations to work as a director and they told me that they cannot hire a woman wearing a full face veil. I said that I work behind the scenes as a director and not a presenter but they told me that the policy was not to hire women in a niqab."
The launch of Maria TV mirrors the rise of ultra-conservative Muslims in Egypt since the fall of former leader Hosni Mubarak last year. Public dress is beginning to reflect the political trend, something not everyone feels is suitable for a modern, inclusive democracy.
Local resident Shaza Abbass: "The media should target all sections of society and not exclude any, as this TV station does."
Maria TV is named after a Coptic Christian slave who according to the Quran was given to the Prophet Muhammad, who he then married and freed. The station's manager says he chose the name because he feels it represents the freedom which women feel when being allowed to follow strict Islamic doctrine.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:28:04 DVD 64 Speaking Freely with Gina Lewisby Ahmed Deedat Featured 21,846
- 0:51 Sanctions for Bashar al-Assad's Wife: Asma al-Assad's Shopping Spree During Syria's Uprisingby JewishNewsOne15,689 views
- 3:59 Israelis Issued Gas Masks on Syria Chemical Weapons Fears: Assad Moves Arsenal as Free Army Winsby JewishNewsOne2,074 views
- 3:01 Belgium's Muslim Veil Ban: What Europeans Think about the Niqab and Women's Rightsby JewishNewsOne5,151 views
- 1:02 Women Must Wear Niqab on Egypt TV Channel: Muslim Veil on 'Maraya' as Sharia Law Risesby JewishNewsOne14,402 views
- 57:47 The Big Debate - Niqab : Wajib or not? Sh.Abu Usamah V Sh.Assim Al-Hakeemby GreenLaneMosque38,259 views
- 28:09 سنة أولى زواج  أنواع الزوجاتby Septième Ciel7,662 views
- 57:49 The Niqab in Islam - By Sheikh Shady Al-Suleimanby SplitmoonProductions12,415 views
- 14:51 Niqab Tutorial-Ideasby HijabStatus13,518 views
- 10:50 A woman loses the debate at CNN with a Muslim woman نقاش حول النقابby Ahmed Zoubi4,323 views
- 9:34 One day in Cairo in a niqabby RTWgiulia68,982 views
- 10:50 Une Femme perd un débat contre une femme en niqab!by ObjectifFirdaws92,009 views
- 10:50 CNN Debate - Ban the Burka and Ban the Niqab but LEAVE BRITNEY alone! The Niqabi here is Awsome!by imregrettin30,987 views
- 22:33 True story of niqab victim (Stephanie djato)by niqab victim6,471 views
- 3:19 A Muslim Woman Speaks - مسلمةby NowLearnAboutIslam67,849 views
- 5:07:32 MoreThan 69 Miracles of ISLAM, that none can Deny .by Astonishing CreatorSignsAndProofs384,517 views
- 14:55 Behind The Burqa in Franceby Behindtheburqa132,222 views
- 10:46 Le niqâb : vêtement islamique ou culturel ?by soft21345,279 views
- 10:03 The War Against Islam in Egypt - Abdur Raheem McCarthyby khalifahklothing13,995 views
- 2:05 Miss Muslim Moral Beauty Pageant Held in Saudi Arabiaby 1001Phoenix140,023 views
- Loading more suggestions...