This video is unavailable.
Relation in Time. Marina Abramović and Ulay
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 26, 2010
Marina Abramović was born in 1946 in Belgrade, Yugoslavia. Since the beginning of her career, during the early 1970s where she attended the Academy of Fine Arts in Belgrade, Abramović has pioneered the use of performance as a visual art form. The body has been both her subject and medium. Exploring the physical and mental limits of her being, she has withstood pain, exhaustion and danger in the quest for emotional and spiritual transformation. As a vital member of the generation of pioneering performance artists that includes Bruce Nauman, Vito Acconci and Chris Burden, Abramović created some of the most historic early performance pieces and continues to make important durational works.
Abramović has presented her work with performances, sound, photography, video, sculpture and Transitory Objects for Human and Non Human Use in solo exhibitions at major institutions in the U.S. and Europe. Her work has also been included in many large-scale international exhibitions including the Venice Biennale (1976 and 1997) and Documenta VI, VII and IX, Kassel, Germany (1977, 1982 and 1992). In 1998, the exhibition Artist Body - Public Body toured extensively, including stops at Kunstmuseum and Grosse Halle, Bern and La Gallera, Valencia. In 2004, Abramović also exhibited at the Whitney Biennial in New York and had a significant solo show, The Star, at the Maruame Museum of Contemporary Art and the Kumamoto Museum of Contemporary Art, Japan.
Abramović has taught and lectured extensively in Europe and America. In 1994 she became Professor for Performance Art at the Hochschule fur Bildende Kunst in Braunschweig where she taught for seven years. In 2004 she was awarded an Honorary Doctorate from the Art Institute in Chicago.
She was awarded the Golden Lion for Best Artist at the 1997 Venice Biennale for her extraordinary video installation/performance piece Balkan Baroque‚ and in 2003 received the Bessie for The House with the Ocean View‚ a 12-day performance at Sean Kelly Gallery.
In 2005, Abramović presented Balkan Erotic Epic at the Pirelli Foundation in Milan, Italy and at Sean Kelly Gallery, New York. That same year, she held a series of performances called Seven Easy Pieces at the Guggenheim Museum in New York. She was honored for Seven Easy Pieces by the Guggenheim at their International Gala in 2006 and by the AICA USA with the "Best Exhibition of Time Based Art" award in 2007. Abramović's work is included in numerous major public and private collections worldwide. She was the subject of a major retrospective at the MoMA - The Artist is Present - from March 14 through May 31, 2010.
Marina Abramović lives and works in New York.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:32:50 Abramovic Marina Seven Easy Pieces 2007by hundredcawsFeatured 11,876
- 9:52 Ulay & Abramović "AAA AAA" by unraropersonaje 342,316 views
- 3:25 Marina Abramović: Performanceby UChicago 54,944 views
- 22:13 Ulay & Marina [PT-BR]by Fernando E. Aznar 9,762 views
- 3:05 Expanding in Space - Marina Abramovic - 1977by ritualgenero 71,817 views
- 1:01 Light/ Dark- Marina Abramovic & Ulay- performance artby George Hneda 25,195 views
- 16:26 Marina Abramović on Performance (1 of 3)by ChicagoHumanities 38,218 views
- 100 videos Play all contemporary art 1970by jewelfelderjames
- 9:13 Marina Abramovic: The Abramovic Method, my body, my performance, my testament | Exclusive interviewby Bonsai TV 56,184 views
- 5:07 Everything for Nothing 5 minutes (excerpts)by Stephanie Dodes 2,692,008 views
- 2:36 Ulay Trailerby Vertigo EmotionFilm 4,559 views
- 1:27 Marina Abramović: Marina's First Performanceby MoMAvideos 39,662 views
- 10:26 Marina Abramovic Interviewed for "The Artist is Present" at the Celebs.com Studio at Sundanceby CELEBScom 20,826 views
- 1:30:44 Marina Abramović at the Smithsonian's Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Gardenby SmithsonianVideos 205,722 views
- 14:04 Marina Abramovic - Freeing THE VOICE.aviby Artomomom 20,328 views
- 4:50 Marina Abramović interview at the Lisson Galleryby Jared Schiller 31,849 views
- 12:38 Marina Abramovic Live im Martaby Marta Herford 14,264 views
- 1:40 Marina Abramović: The body as mediumby MoMAvideos 34,698 views
- 2:32 Marina & Ulay @ MoMA (The Artist is Present)by Isidora Smiljkovic 51,909 views
- 4:44 Marina Abramović: An Artist's Life Manifesto | MOCA Gala 2011by MOCAlosangeles 72,219 views
- 2:01 Marina Abramovic & Ulay - Relation in Space (short clip)by Nelmarie du Preez 4,168 views
- Loading more suggestions...