6000+ Chinese Shoe Factory Workers Strike in Guangdong Province
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 22, 2011
For more news visit ☛ http://english.ntdtv.com
Follow us on Twitter ☛ http://twitter.com/NTDTelevision
Follow us on Facebook ☛ http://me.lt/9P8MUn
Thousands of shoe factory workers went on strike in China's Guangdong Province last Thursday. They're frustrated with new regulations that include drastic bonus cuts and layoffs. Sharp decrease in exports and a gloomy world economy are drastically affecting the shoe factory business.
More than 6000 shoe factory workers in China's Guangdong Province took to the streets last Thursday.
The workers from Yucheng Shoe Factory in Dongguan City were protesting against new management policies.
These include huge bonus cuts, restrictions placed on the number of toilet visits, and the dismissal of 18 middle management staff due to a drastic decrease in orders.
The strike continued for two hours. Dozens of protesters sustained head injuries after being beaten by riot police. Workers resumed their work after negotiating with the company.
A gloomy world economy coupled with higher wages and a progressively competitive business environment has caused the company to incur heavy losses—and to impose the new regulations.
But workers are feeling the pinch in their wallets. Their basic monthly pay is about 170 dollars. With extra work, they can earn up to 300 dollars a month. Without the extra work and bonuses, they could barely make ends meet.
Yucheng Shoe Factory makes shoes for New Balance. It's a subsidiary of Pou Chen Group, which produces some of the world's famous sports brands, such as Nike, Adidas and Reebok.
Reuters reported a sharp decrease in exports is affecting many factories in Guangdong Province. It's jeopardizing the jobs of hundreds of thousands of workers.
The tough times have caused many factories to go broke. This year about 450 foreign companies closed in Dongguan. Others are planning to move to central and western China to take advantage of cheaper labor.
Standard YouTube License
- 31:33 Cambodia Fashion Week - Ghosts in the Garment Factoryby VICE Featured 388,507
- 1:31 Brand-Name Goods Made in Polluting Chinese Factoriesby NTDTV3,737 views
- 1:51 Chinese Factory Workers Protestby NTDTV8,332 views
- 2:07 China Rated Most Corrupt Across all Sectors: Reportby NTDTV2,448 views
- 1:54 LG Factory Workers Strike in Nanjing, Chinaby NTDTV2,397 views
- 20:30 Nike Sweatshops: Behind the Swooshby TeamSweat299,129 views
- 5:45 The Death Penalty in China | China Uncensoredby China Uncensored2,940,058 views
- 26:55 Travelogue 2011-08-16 Shenzhen, Guangdong Province (Part 1)by PhoenixTavern2,169 views
- 32:44 Santa's Workshop - Inside China's Slave Labour Toy Factories.flvby Inf0rmNati0n8,559 views
- 40:21 Miodowe Lata - Strajk (124)by hermesekk kochaige7,899 views
- 32:45 Santa's Workshop - Inside China's Slave Labour Toy Factoriesby my3rd3y3304,059 views
- 10:00 APPLE IPHONE - FOXCONN factory workers commit SUICIDE???by Conspirafied037,544 views
- 14:58 Ernie at Allen Edmonds Shoe Factoryby KruTube11,854 views
- 2:21 December 5 2013 Breaking News USA sends new submarine hunting jets to Japan amid East Asia tensionby u2bheavenbound29,717 views
- 20:30 Behind the Swoosh - What Nike Dont Want You To Seeby Trumentary11,672 views
- 49:50 China's Great Wall part I - The Mongol Invasion (full documentary)by FulIDocumentaries165,667 views
- 15:19 iPad - See The Horrors Inside The Secret Chinese Foxconn iPad Factoryby Alun Hill66,108 views
- 5:32 Made in Germany | Adidas -- Growth in Chinaby DW (English)79,775 views
- 4:45 Can 'Made in China' stay competitive?by Financial Times8,588 views
- 53:16 China The New Superpower?by Andrew Kaleb539,612 views
- Loading more suggestions...