The Numbers Game with Russ Roberts -- The Economic Recovery (Part 1)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 5, 2012
According the National Bureau of Economic Research, the US economy recovered from the recession at the beginning of the summer of 2009. Yet the recovery has been disappointing when compared to other recoveries. In this episode of the Numbers Game, John Taylor of Stanford University talks with host Russ Roberts about the nature of the recovery. How does it compare historically to other recoveries? How can we measure the pace of the recovery? The conversation ends with a discussion of possible explanations for why the recovery has been disappointing.
1) What is potential GDP? (0:52)
2) The economy never catches back up to trend (2:38)
3) The 1981 recession (3:16)
4) Is there a correct or potential level of GDP? (4:45)
5) A look at past recoveries (6:13)
6) Friedman and the Plucking Model (8:10)
7) A look at real growth rates in recoveries (8:59)
8) Employment and the recovery (10:20)
LINKS TO DATA & PAPERS REFERENCED -
1. 2008-09 and 1981-1982 Recession & Recovery Charts:
Real GDP (GDPC1) downloaded from FRED 7/13/12, taken from BEA.gov - http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/...
Potential GDP (GDPPOT) downloaded from FRED 7/13/12, taken from CBO.gov - http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/...
2. 1907-08 and 1893-94 Recession & Recovery Charts:
GDP data from NBER, compiled by Nathan Balke and Robert Gordon with adjustments by John Taylor for comparability with earlier charts -http://www.nber.org/data/abc/ Potential GDP calculations by John Taylor using a Hodrick-Prescott trend.
3. The Plucking Model Working Paper:
The "Plucking Model" of Business Fluctuations Revisited by Milton Friedman Working Papers in Economics, E-88-48 -- Hoover Institution, Stanford University
4. Growth Rate of Real GDP Chart:
Growth Rate calculated from Real GDP (GDPC1) downloaded from FRED 7/13/12, taken from BEA.gov - http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/...
5. Change in the Percentage of the Population that is Working Chart:
Employment-Population Ratio (EMRATIO) downloaded from FRED 7/13/12, taken from BLS.gov - http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/...
Click the following link to view "The Economic Recovery (Part 2)"
Standard YouTube License
- 7:36 The Numbers Game with Russ Roberts -- The Economic Recovery (Part 2)by HooverInstitution 13,693 views
- 1:03:21 Uncommon Knowledge: George W. Bushby Hoover Institution 352,522 views
- 16:10 The Economic Recovery: A Novel Perspective from Ed Leamer (The Numbers Game with Russ Roberts) monoby HooverInstitution 4,472 views
- 10:44 The Numbers Game with Russ Roberts -- The Economic Recovery (Part 3)by Hoover Institution 6,815 views
- 46:47 Vice-presidential candidate Paul Ryan in his September 2011 interview on Uncommon Knowledgeby HooverInstitution 7,723 views
- Gross domestic product 13,832 videos4
- 39:52 Uncommon Knowledge with Thomas Sowellby Hoover Institution 37,827 views
- 33:32 Thomas Sowell -- Basic Economicsby Hoover Institution 91,254 views
- 3 videos Play all Aplicaciones en Economiaby dennislacotera
- 1:09:11 Christopher Hitchens - On EconTalk discussing George Orwell by LeCaNANDian 3,051 views
- 1:02:53 Uncommon Knowledge with Trevor Rees-Jonesby HooverInstitution 7,679 views
- 45:10 Jonah Goldberg and John O'Sullivan on Uncommon Knowledgeby HooverInstitution 6,753 views
- 36:42 Thomas Sowell -- Dismantling Americaby HooverInstitution 64,106 views
- 52:50 Uncommon Knowledge: Thomas Sowell on the Vulgar Pride of Intellectualsby PJTV 45,635 views
- 26:55 Christopher Hitchens and Newt Gingrich: What kind of war are we fighting?by Hoover Institution 257,153 views
- 47:41 James Delingpole: Great Britain, the Green Movement, and the End of the Worldby Hoover Institution 31,820 views
- 2:18:16 Class Conflict, Inequality, the 1% - Ralph Nader, Niall Ferguson, Charles Murray, Lewis Laphamby Siebel Scholars 13,213 views
- 31:56 Peter Schiff: Why Canada Will Divorce The US And Marry Chinaby Cambridge House 68,101 views
- 48:48 Uncommon Knowledge with Justice Antonin Scaliaby Hoover Institution 17,549 views
- 45:18 John Stosselby HooverInstitution 25,552 views
- 1:03:33 Uncommon Knowledge: President George W. Bush On His Presidency and Life After the White Houseby PJTV 23,717 views
- 5:12 Thomas Sowell - Parallels To Romeby LibertyPen 13,429 views
- Loading more suggestions...