The Numbers Game with Russ Roberts -- The Economic Recovery (Part 1)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 5, 2012
According the National Bureau of Economic Research, the US economy recovered from the recession at the beginning of the summer of 2009. Yet the recovery has been disappointing when compared to other recoveries. In this episode of the Numbers Game, John Taylor of Stanford University talks with host Russ Roberts about the nature of the recovery. How does it compare historically to other recoveries? How can we measure the pace of the recovery? The conversation ends with a discussion of possible explanations for why the recovery has been disappointing.
1) What is potential GDP? (0:52)
2) The economy never catches back up to trend (2:38)
3) The 1981 recession (3:16)
4) Is there a correct or potential level of GDP? (4:45)
5) A look at past recoveries (6:13)
6) Friedman and the Plucking Model (8:10)
7) A look at real growth rates in recoveries (8:59)
8) Employment and the recovery (10:20)
LINKS TO DATA & PAPERS REFERENCED -
1. 2008-09 and 1981-1982 Recession & Recovery Charts:
Real GDP (GDPC1) downloaded from FRED 7/13/12, taken from BEA.gov - http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/...
Potential GDP (GDPPOT) downloaded from FRED 7/13/12, taken from CBO.gov - http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/...
2. 1907-08 and 1893-94 Recession & Recovery Charts:
GDP data from NBER, compiled by Nathan Balke and Robert Gordon with adjustments by John Taylor for comparability with earlier charts -http://www.nber.org/data/abc/ Potential GDP calculations by John Taylor using a Hodrick-Prescott trend.
3. The Plucking Model Working Paper:
The "Plucking Model" of Business Fluctuations Revisited by Milton Friedman Working Papers in Economics, E-88-48 -- Hoover Institution, Stanford University
4. Growth Rate of Real GDP Chart:
Growth Rate calculated from Real GDP (GDPC1) downloaded from FRED 7/13/12, taken from BEA.gov - http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/...
5. Change in the Percentage of the Population that is Working Chart:
Employment-Population Ratio (EMRATIO) downloaded from FRED 7/13/12, taken from BLS.gov - http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/...
Click the following link to view "The Economic Recovery (Part 2)"
Standard YouTube License
- 7:36 The Numbers Game with Russ Roberts -- The Economic Recovery (Part 2)by HooverInstitution14,604 views
- 42:46 Hoover fellow Victor Davis Hanson on the type of men who become savior generalsby HooverInstitution8,738 views
- 10:44 The Numbers Game with Russ Roberts -- The Economic Recovery (Part 3)by HooverInstitution7,575 views
- 39:52 Uncommon Knowledge with Thomas Sowellby HooverInstitution45,250 views
- 1:16:48 Peter Schiff - Market Crash 2014 | London Realby London Real13,881 views
- 45:00 The Documentary - NG The Numbers Game 1of3 When Will You Dieby DokiDoc036,770 views
- 2:54:27 Chris Hedges "Brace Yourself! The American Empire Is Over & The Descent Is Going To Be Horrifying!"by MOXNEWSd0tC0M687,412 views
- 47:50 Uncommon Knowledge: White America Is 'Coming Apart'by PJ Media25,579 views
- 25:13 The US unemployment official figure, a big bold lieby PressTVGlobalNews5,128 views
- 45:13 Milton Friedman - Is Capitalism Humane? (Lecture)by BasicEconomics21,247 views
- 16:10 The Economic Recovery: A Novel Perspective from Ed Leamer (The Numbers Game with Russ Roberts) monoby HooverInstitution5,606 views
- 1:01:31 Andrew Breitbart gives talk at Nixon Libraryby NixonFoundation3,934 views
- 6:57 Milton Friedman Puts A Young Michael Moore In His Placeby pplholdthepower29,396 views
- 1:09:11 Christopher Hitchens - On EconTalk discussing George Orwell by LeCaNANDian6,236 views
- 52:50 Uncommon Knowledge: Thomas Sowell on the Vulgar Pride of Intellectualsby PJ Media74,811 views
- 59:01 There Will Be No Economic Recovery. Prepare Yourself Accordingly.by Stefan Molyneux522,798 views
- 36:42 Thomas Sowell -- Dismantling Americaby HooverInstitution89,291 views
- 48:48 Uncommon Knowledge with Justice Antonin Scaliaby HooverInstitution22,474 views
- 33:32 Thomas Sowell -- Basic Economicsby HooverInstitution117,784 views
- 38:20 The End of the World as We Know It, with Mark Steynby HooverInstitution93,671 views
- Loading more suggestions...