IRI Speakers Series: Democratic Governance in Africa: Does it Exist and Is It Delivering?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 22, 2011
African countries and their development partners have identified democratic governance as an effective approach to reduce poverty, spur development and guarantee human rights across the continent. From constitutional reform to capacity building, service delivery to devolution, a number of countries have sought to improve institutional performance, promote post-conflict reconciliation and increase government responsiveness to citizens by implementing comprehensive democratic governance reforms. As reforms are implemented, however, countries and their development partners face a number of challenges, including obstruction by entrenched interests, weak rule of law and widespread capacity weaknesses.
Constance Berry Newman, former Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs and Assistant Administrator for Africa at the U.S. Agency for International Development, will address the challenges and opportunities faced by development partners working to promote democratic governance in Africa;
Mark Green, Senior Director of the U.S. Global Leadership Coalition in Washington, DC and board member of the Millennium Challenge Corporation, will discuss the linkages between democratic governance and development in Africa;
Ambassador Elkanah Odembo, Kenya's Ambassador to the United States, will speak about Kenya's initiatives in democratic governance, including the constitutional reform process and its ongoing impact in the country; and
John Mcharo, Deputy Mayor of Mombasa, Kenya, will describe the reality of local governance in Kenya, in particular the potential impact of devolution and other reform efforts at the local level.
IRI's Democratic Governance Speakers Series is a public forum designed to bring together policymakers, practitioners and stakeholders to discuss and share experiences in addressing contemporary challenges to governance.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:11:43 Crisis in the Horn of Africa: A Somaliland Perspectiveby IRITV12,107 views
- 42:31 2011 Freedom Award: A Conversation with Secretary James Baker -- 11/10/2011by IRITV937 views
- 1:13:25 IRI Commemorates President Reagan's Legacy - 05/23/2011by IRITV588 views
- 39:32 2011 Jeane J. Kirkpatrick Awards -- 02/28/2011by IRITV449 views
- 1:06:40 NPP A Disgrace To Ghana And Africa's Democracy- Elections 2012 - Eye Witness Accounts.by GhanaMediaHouse691 views
- 47:16 Locked Up Abroad - Sierra Leone Jungle Siegeby Per Ardua17,576 views
- 1:20:07 strictly Sierra Leone Music Mixby Mohamed Kamara23,190 views
- 44:43 IT Governance Part 1 of 2by CIOclassroom1,595 views
- 34:10 Sierra Leone Music Splash Vol 1--PART 3/4by Bob Bangso44,197 views
- 47:46 Governance Networks, MetaGovernance and Democracyby RoskildeUniversitet433 views
- 1:28:05 Democracy, Governance, and War in Oil Exporting Nationsby UChannel3,997 views
- 54:55 The future of democracy in Africa and the Arab Springby The IISS7,352 views
- 47:16 Banged Up Abroad - [S1 EP2]- Sierra Leone Jungle Siegeby MRxB4RRE44,405 views
- 1:13:39 (SIERRA LEONE MUSIC 2012) best of salone mega oldies 2012 by dj med (piornia)by medishmed61,299 views
- 33:20 Introduction to African Security Issues - Africa: History and Politics: Dr. Joseph Siegleby Africacenterorg1,027 views
- 23:21 What is Public Policy?by Rob Raffety3,125 views
- 19:51 Democracy and Good Governance in Nigeriaby AfriQtalk560 views
- 27:02 The MapMakers: Project Somalilandby commonlinkproduction33,029 views
- 1:46:31 2010 - Africa's Development - Country Models | The New Schoolby The New School5,704 views
- 1:02:40 Henry Lamb - Global governance Lectureby mathenyahu5,045 views
- Loading more suggestions...