'The God Particle': The Higgs Boson
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 18, 2009
http://www.facebook.com/ScienceReason ... The Standard Model of Particle Physics (Chapter 8): The Higgs Mechanism.
Please SUBSCRIBE to Science & Reason:
STANDARD MODEL OF PARTICLE PHYSICS:
1) First Second Of The Universe:
2) Force And Matter:
5) Electrons, Protons And Neutrons:
6) Photons, Gravitons & Weak Bosons:
8) The Higgs Boson / The Higgs Mechanism:
The Standard Model of particle physics is a theory of three of the four known fundamental interactions and the elementary particles that take part in these interactions. These particles make up all visible matter in the universe.
Every high energy physics experiment carried out since the mid-20th century has eventually yielded findings consistent with the Standard Model.
Still, the Standard Model falls short of being a complete theory of fundamental interactions because it does not include gravitation, dark matter, or dark energy. It is not quite a complete description of leptons either, because it does not describe nonzero neutrino masses, although simple natural extensions do.
The HIGGS BOSON is a massive scalar elementary particle predicted to exist by the Standard Model in particle physics. At present there are no other known fundamental scalar particles in nature.
The Higgs boson is the only Standard Model particle that has not been observed. Experimental detection of the Higgs boson would help explain the origin of mass in the universe.
The Higgs boson would explain the difference between the massless photon, which mediates electromagnetism, and the massive W and Z bosons, which mediate the weak force. If the Higgs boson exists, it is an integral and pervasive component of the material world.
The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, which became operational on November 20, 2009, is expected to provide experimental evidence of the existence or non-existence of the Higgs boson. Experiments at Fermilab also continue previous attempts at detection, albeit hindered by the lower energy of the Fermilab Tevatron accelerator.
It has been reported that Fermilab physicists suggest that the odds of Tevatron detecting the Higgs boson are between 50% and 96%, depending on its mass.
The Higgs mechanism, which gives mass to vector bosons, was theorized in 1964 by François Englert and Robert Brout ("boson scalaire"); in October of the same year by Peter Higgs, working from the ideas of Philip Anderson; and independently by Gerald Guralnik, C. R. Hagen, and Tom Kibble,who worked out the results by the spring of 1963.
The three papers written on this discovery by Guralnik, Hagen, Kibble, Higgs, Brout, and Englert were each recognized as milestone papers during Physical Review Letters 50th anniversary celebration. While each of these famous papers took similar approaches, the contributions and differences between the 1964 PRL Symmetry Breaking papers is noteworthy.
These six physicists were also awarded the 2010 J. J. Sakurai Prize for Theoretical Particle Physics for this work. Steven Weinberg and Abdus Salam were the first to apply the Higgs mechanism to the electroweak symmetry breaking. The electroweak theory predicts a neutral particle whose mass is not far from that of the W and Z bosons.
The Cassiopeia Project - making science simple!
The Cassiopeia Project is an effort to make high quality science videos available to everyone. If you can visualize it, then understanding is not far behind.
Standard YouTube License
- 48:04 Albert Einstein- How I See the Worldby Nam NgoFeatured 2,641,798
- 59:06 The Hunt For Higgs - amazing HD Documentaryby 711Rene 235,619 views
- 23 videos Play all Particle Physics - Standard Model, Higgs boson, LHCby dasapostate
- 10:59 Science v's God : Its The Collapse Of Physics As We Know itby IrresponsibleAtheism 904,767 views
- 1:04:01 "The World in 2030" by Dr. Michio Kakuby CUNYQueensborough 2,331,243 views
- 3:27 What is a Higgs Boson?by Fermilab Videos 1,533,092 views
- 51:52 The End of Space and Time? - Professor Robbert Dijkgraafby Gresham College 309,728 views
- 1:49 Why Quantum Physics Ends the Free Will Debateby DocFosters 367,044 views
- 11:00 DNA Activation - 2012?by lindor2323's channel 198,610 views
- 0:03 atomy 3d animationby Firas4D 47,244 views
- 8:03 Scientific Evidence that God is real!by GateMessenger's channel 1,289,598 views
- 1:55 Higgs boson Science explained using sugar and ping-pong ballsby Vidya Sooraj 52,052 views
- 8:55 Quantum Awakening - Have Scientists Found God?by ppsimmons 363,511 views
- 57:20 What Gives Particles Mass? Searching for the Higgs Bosonby UCtelevision 56,022 views
- 6:28 What Caused the Big Bang?by tdarnell 567,808 views
- 2:00 Michio Kaku on the 'God Particle'by WatchTheDaily 244,202 views
- 3:59 Quarks and leptons for beginnersby Roger Linsell 173,913 views
- 6:47 CRAZY MAGIC TRICK! Unbelievably fast magicians - Penn and Teller Fool Usby costumechange 9,274,882 views
- 1:55 This Is Mind Blowing!by FabioTheItalianOne 4,347,117 views
- 7:12 Higgs Field - Is the Universe Itself the Missing God Particle ? - Field Theory Physicsby AcceleratorPlus 77,084 views
- 1:28 The Moment: CERN Scientist Announces Higgs Boson 'God Particle' Discoveryby linktv 65,890 views
- Loading more suggestions...