The 2011 Hurricane Season in 4.5 minutes
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 29, 2011
The 2011 Atlantic hurricane season officially ends on Nov. 30 and produced a total of 19 tropical storms of which seven became hurricanes, including three major hurricanes. This level of activity matched NOAA's predictions and continues the trend of active hurricane seasons that began in 1995.
From Arlene to Sean, Hurricane Season 2011 has been very active, leading to 120 fatalities and causing more than $11 billion in property and infrastructure damage. Surprisingly, none of the first eight tropical storms reached hurricane status, a record since reliable reports started in 1851. Hurricane Irene's effects in the Caribbean and the United States lead to 55 deaths and accounted for the bulk of this season's damage, more than $10 billion. Irene was the first landfalling hurricane in New Jersey in 108 years. Hurricane Katia had far-reaching effects causing severe weather in Northern Ireland and Scotland and power blackouts as far east as Saint Petersburg in Russia. Tropical Storm Lee caused major flooding in Pennsylvania, New York and into the Canadian provinces of Quebec and Ontario. The strongest storm of the season was Ophelia, which reached category four strength in the Atlantic Ocean east of Bermuda.
An integral part of NOAA's ability to monitor and predict hurricane formation and movement is the data that is provided by the GOES satellite, with its visible imagery, infrared sensors, and sounding capabilities. This animations merges both the visible and infrared imagery taken by the GOES East (GOES-13) satellite every 30 minutes over the Northern Hemisphere from June 1 -- November 28, 2011. (An update will be provided on December 1, 2011 after the Atlantic hurricane season officially ends).
Standard YouTube License
- 3:03 The Quiksilver In Memory of Eddie Aikau Opening Ceremony 2011-2012by SurfersvillageTV 1,066 views
- 1:01 Quiksilver In Memory of Eddie Aikau 2011/2012by SurfersvillageTV 4,592 views
- 4:16 Seven Ghosts Ep3 - It Is True - Amazing Tidal Bore Surfingby SurfersvillageTV 125,419 views
- 1:50 NUIT DE LA GLISSE IN 3Dby SurfersVillageTV 939 views
- 4:23 Why Do Natural Disasters Happen?by ARIfilms 4,201 views
- 14 videos Play all hurricanesby lesliediehl
- 6:08 2011 Atlantic Hurricane Season Animation (Version 2) [HD]by Force Thirteen - Tropical Cyclone Videos and Updates 3,602 views
- 7:30 2011 Atlantic Hurricane Season (satellite animation)by zivipotty csatornája 1,527 views
- 4:47 2010 Atlantic Hurricane Season Satellite Reviewby thextremeweather 2,476 views
- 4:18 Hurricane Season - Dan Andriano In The Emergency Roomby tipthescales1984 12,848 views
- 7:40 2005 Atlantic Hurricane Season Animation (Version 3)by Force Thirteen - Tropical Cyclone Videos and Updates 6,104 views
- 13:39 Hurricane Katrina Historic Storm Surge Video - Gulfport, Mississippiby UltimateChase 688,774 views
- 1:14:06 Hurricane Katrina DVD Documentary, from Miami to New Orleans and Biloxi.by StormChasingVideo.Com 199,515 views
- 7:41 Hurricane Irene 2011by Lisa Siemering 551 views
- 7:24 2005 Atlantic Hurricane Seasonby blueshifter 7,000 views
- 8:36 Where do Hurricanes come from and how do they form - [Hurricane Irene 2011]by Merlin The Fiery Beast 15,756 views
- 2:56 Kelly Slater Surfing Shipsternsby XTreme Video 252,351 views
- 2:43 Footballer Spartak Gogniev abused at Terek Grozny (long version)by FIFProTV 1,031,717 views
- 4:00 Bahamas: hurricane central - Wild Caribbean - BBC Natureby BBC Worldwide 7,070 views
- 2:21 Cyclones - explainedby worldswonders 11,965 views
- 6:27 What are hurricanes, typhoons and tropical cyclones?by Met Office 50,145 views
- Loading more suggestions...