Uploaded on Jan 11, 2012
Music by Miss Emma under the Creative Commons License
Middle-Eastern Meat Patties serves 4-5 people.
1 whole onion, grated
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 cup tomato puree
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon curry powder
Cumin Scented Rice:
2 cups cooked white rice
1 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 tablespoons butter or ghee
For the meat patties:
- In a bowl, add the grated onion to the ground beef along with all the spices.
- Mix very thoroughly to combine. You want a paste. Don't worry about over mixing.
- To a deep, heavy bottomed skillet, add some oil. Spread the meat evenly along the entire perimeter of the pan and up the edges slightly. Be careful not to get any holes in the meat. ( I wasn't very careful)
- Turn on the flame and allow the meat to cook on medium/low for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, cut the meat into triangles or whatever tickles your fancy.
- After cutting the meat, raise the flame to high and cook for 2 minutes. This will help caramelization.
- Add the tomato sauce, along with some salt and 1/2 water. Add 1 or 2 cloves of garlic per meat patty. turn the heat to low, cover and cook for 1/2 hour.
- Serve the meat patties with some rice, yogurt and cilantro. Enjoy!
For the Cumin Scented Rice:
- Add the butter to a pot. When it begins to sizzle, add 1 1/2 teaspoons of cumin seeds and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric. Cook for 20 seconds. They are ready when they smell fragrant and begin to sputter.
- Add the white rice and some salt. cook until everything is well combined and warmed through.
Standard YouTube License