President Barack Obama at St. Petersburg College Seminole Campus
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 8, 2012
As a state college, St. Petersburg College does not support or oppose any particular candidate and maintains an open door policy to all candidates.
More than 11,000 jam Seminole Campus to hear President Obama
September 8, 2012 by newsspc
President Obama at SPC's Seminole Campus Saturday, Sept. 8
The once-in-a-lifetime opportunity did not disappoint. President Barack Obama's visit to the Seminole Campus of St. Petersburg College drew more than 11,000 enthusiastic supporters on Saturday, under a partly cloudy but forgiving sky.
In a repeat performance of his Thursday night acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention, Obama touted the value of education, a cause he has supported through investments in job training and community colleges.
"Education is the gateway of opportunity," Obama said. "It was for Michelle and me. ... Millions of students are spending less on their education, including students here because we finally took on a system that wasted billions of taxpayer dollars on banks and lenders."
Manuel Martinez, Student Government President for the Seminole Campus, was lucky enough to get a personal introduction to the Commander in Chief.
"It was incredible: one day I woke up and now I'm meeting the President," said Martinez, who greeted Obama as he walked through the University Partnership Building. "I got to shake his hand. It was an honor."
Obama went on to say about his opponent Mitt Romney in the Nov. 6 Presidential election: "You can gut education like these other folks are recommending or you can choose your future if you're willing to move forward with us."
Judging from the reaction of those behind him shaking blue signs that read "forward," it was obvious the crowd was with him. What was also obvious was the level of people's dedication to get a glimpse of a sitting president.
Despite a 30-second rain shower around 10 a.m., the lines of people waiting to pass through security and into the event snaked around the campus Library, over to the Seminole Recreation Center and down 113th St. The throngs, who took to parking on side streets in surrounding neighborhoods and walking to the campus, were so immense at one point that an announcement was made that anyone parking on 113th Street would be towed.
The Florida heat also took its tolls on some in the crowd, who stood on the field near the campus' Nature Park for more than two hours to hear Obama's 30-minute speech. More than a dozen people were treated at the scene for heat exhaustion, begrudgingly giving up their spots close to the president.
Their shirts drenched with sweat and their smiles wide, college officials were beaming with pride, however, about being chosen to host the President.
"It's a wonderful day for the college," said SPC President Bill Law. "All of us feel very proud when the eyes of America and the world are on us."
"It was a fabulous event," said Seminole Provost Jim Olliver. "It was a huge crowd with a lot of students in the audience. When tickets were first distributed, it was amazing to see so many students show up to get them."
SPC student Joy Gann, Vice President of the Seminole Campus Student Government Association, was just "ecstatic to be in the presence of someone who runs the country."
SPC student Samantha Bergamo, who studies digital animation on the Seminole Campus, echoed the sentiments of many when she said: "The most amazing part was my dad called me afterwards and said I'm the first person in the family to see the president in person. No one else has ever seen the President in person. You had to get that ticket."
Standard YouTube License
- 29:40 President Barack Obama at St. Petersburg College Seminole Campusby St Petersburg College1,161 views
- 3:19 Mallory Stewart Robison speaks at President Obama Rally at SPC Seminole Campusby St Petersburg College646 views
- 1:42 St. Petersburg College Beauty Shotsby St Petersburg College895 views
- 3:46 Enrollment Down at SPC- Bay News 9 Storyby St Petersburg College282 views
- 3:01 TheObamaDiary.com: Three Days in Septemberby TheObamaDiary.com2,233 views
- 1:09 President Obama shaking hands.AVIby Lisa Tullos1,423 views
- 5:12 Obama Rips Romney in Final Debate - The Best Linesby The Young Turks211,216 views
- 8:03 President Obama In Seminole, Florida 9/8/2012by dixie33759740 views
- 4:04 Key & Peele: Nooiceby Comedy Central662,850 views
- 17:06 Obama's Education Policyby TheRealNews3,267 views
- 0:39 OBAMA GETS BABY TO STOP CRYINGby The Daily Conversation2,423,911 views
- 8:50 25 Creepiest Places On Earthby list254,008,015 views
- 0:24 John McCain Refuses to shake hands with Barack Obama - 2nd Presidential Debateby TurkishKB419,519 views
- 40:34 President Barack Obama DNC Speech Complete: Romney in 'Cold War Mind-Warp' - DNC 2012by ABC News588,673 views
- 4:37 Go To The Mirror- Pete Townshend Demo RAREby Ryan Saunders19,799 views
- 1:08:34 CTV Presents: President Obama's visit to Colorado State Universityby CTVNews11430 views
- 1:47 Presidential Motorcade in Melbourne, Florida 09 09 2012 5by vincecallmelove567 views
- 6:28 You'll Never Walk Alone - BBC - Last Night of the Proms 2010by Tamagamoy47,181 views
- 1:53 Motorcade of President Obama with Secret Service Suburbans Leaving the World Trade Center New Yorkby code3paris762,493 views
- 9:19 Jon Stewart Open Fire Obama and Mayor Rob Ford - To day (14th November 2013)by New Update With More Detaile791,915 views
- Loading more suggestions...