How to Create a Wikipedia Article
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 15, 2010
Watch more How to Use Internet Search & Web Browsers videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/592-How...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://howc.st/uLaHRS
Create a Wikipedia article so you can share your knowledge with the world.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://howc.st/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Health Channel - http://howc.st/HOE3aY
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://howc.st/tYKKrk
Howcast Tech Channel - http://howc.st/rx9FwR
Howcast Food Channel - http://howc.st/umBoJX
Howcast Arts & Recreation Channel - http://howc.st/vmB86i
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://howc.st/vKjUjm
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://howc.st/vbbNt3
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Step 1: Have the right topic
Before you try to create an article, make sure you have an appropriate topic. Wikipedia wants unbiased, well-sourced information about subjects that are notable enough to appear in an encyclopedia. The site rejects articles that promote or publicize a business; advice -- legal, medical or otherwise; instructional material; travel guides; and news items.
Get ideas for topics by typing WP:RA in the search box; a list of articles requested by others will appear.
Step 2: Source your work
Make sure you get the information for your article from a credible, reliable source. Material in books and newspapers is generally considered reliable; the musings of bloggers are not. And don't bother writing about yourself; it's considered a conflict of interest.
Detailed instructions on the proper way to cite sources can be found by typing WP:CITE into the search box and hitting "Go."
Step 3: Conduct an internal search
Make sure Wikipedia hasn't already published an article on your exact subject by typing it into the site's internal search engine. Search as many variations of the topic name as you can think of, including common misspellings of relevant terms.
Click "Search" to find Wikipedia articles that just mention your subject.
Step 4: Google it
Search the topic on Google to see if it finds any Wikipedia articles on your subject. Google sometimes picks up postings that Wikipedia's own search engine misses.
Step 5: Sign up
Become a registered user to submit an article without first gaining the site's approval. Having an account also means you can create a user profile, receive messages from other users, request notification for changes made to articles, and, of course, get credit for the articles you write. Click on "create an account" at the top right of any page.
If you'd prefer not to register, submit a proposal through Wikipedia's Articles for Creation, an online review process that provides feedback on your idea. Type WP:AFC in a Search box and hit "Go."
Step 6: Practice writing
Practice writing an article by composing a draft in the Sandbox, where you can familiarize yourself with the site's editing tools. Get there by typing WP:SB in the Search box and hitting, "Go." Click "Help" in the toolbox to the left of any page for guidance.
Step 7: Enter the article
Type your subject in a Search box and hit "Go." You've already determined that no page with that title exists. Click on your highlighted search entry. You'll be redirected to a blank page where you can begin writing your article.
Wikipedia editors may request more sources from you after reviewing your article.
Step 8: Publish!
When your article is finished, hit "Show Preview" to proofread your work and see how it will appear on the site. When you're ready to publish it, hit "Save Page." Congratulations! You're a Wikipedian!
Did You Know?
Wikipedia has published articles in more than 250 languages.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:03:31 SEO - Search Engine Optimizationby elithecomputerguyFeatured 32,200
- 2:43 How To Escape a Kidnapper As an Adultby Howcast 387,511 views
- 3:03 How to Edit a Wikipedia Articleby Howcast 30,914 views
- 2:15 How To Survive a School or Office Shootingby Howcast 448,496 views
- 1:41 How to Use Beer in Unexpected Waysby Howcast 86,364 views
- 51:03 Intelligence in Wikipediaby GoogleTechTalks 29,641 views
- 49 videos Play all wikipediaby InBonobo
- 3:07 Eddie Izzard - Giraffesby MsSilversphinx 18,138 views
- 53:40 How (Much) to Trust Wikipediaby citrisuc 9,281 views
- 6:28 Keith on Wikipediaby keithmsnbcer 27,862 views
- 6:42 Wikipedia: Beneath the Surfaceby libncsu 48,619 views
- 8:28 How To Get On The First Page Of Google, Seo Rank Factors, Get First Page Rankings in Less Than 12hrsby Gavin Stephenson 104,812 views
- 6:33 Wikipedia / Wikia Tutorial - Part 1 - How to create an article?by SystemNetworks 3,762 views
- 6:32 How to Create A Wikipedia Pageby nadine p 778 views
- 41:58 The Colbert Report Paul McCartney 2013 06 12 (full show)by capuleeet 4,887 views
- 1:35 How to Get a Secret Out of Someoneby Howcast 264,859 views
- 2:01 How To Avoid Cell Phone Scratchesby Howcast 604,732 views
- 12:47 How to Change a Picture on Wikipediaby Leticia Paola Palacios 9,361 views
- 1:27 How To Make the Chewbacca Noiseby Howcast 773,943 views
- 6:09 Wikipedia Vs. Encyclopediaby lockergnome 12,299 views
- 4:10 Pink Floyd, Baking and Whitewater Kayaking - The Impact of Wikipediaby WikimediaFoundation 78,030 views
- Loading more suggestions...