Repainting The Bike Lane On Bedford Avenue
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 7, 2009
New York City bicyclists repaint 14 blocks of bike lane on Bedford Avenue.
The Take Back Our Bike Lanes Campaign is a coalition of bike commuting citizens unaffiliated with any established organization who came together to challenge the sudden removal last week of the bike lane on Bedford Avenue between Flushing and Division in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
We want to clarify misrepresentations in the press that the conflict about the Bedford Avenue bike lane is between the Hasidic and hipster communities in Brooklyn. It is not. The real conflict is between the citizens of the City more broadly and certain corrupt government officials.
The Bedford Avenue bike lane has provided safety for bike commuters en route to the Williamsburg Bridge. Although New York law gives bicyclists the right to ride on City streets regardless of whether there is a bike lane, the DOTs unannounced removal of this bike lane has endangered those who use Bedford Avenue as the main artery between their own neighborhoods and the Williamsburg Bridge. The affected neighborhoods include Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights, and Flatbush - some of the poorest areas of the City.
The Citys removal of the bike lane resulted from a quid pro quo between certain religious leaders and the Bloomberg administration. Without consulting the community at large, Bloomberg sacrificed the safety of bike riders in the name of appeasing a special interest group. His back-door deal, made in the run-up to the mayoral election, sacrificed the safety of citizens who cannot afford the Mayors ear at the altar of political expediency and favoritism. That represents the worst kind of hypocrisy and cynicism.
We support the recent repainting of the Bedford Avenue bike lane and call on Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes to decline to prosecute potential criminal charges arising from it.
We demand that the city government consult the greater citizenry through approval of local community boards and the holding of public hearings in all affected communities whenever there is a proposal to remove a bike lane in the future.
We also call upon all citizens to join environmental advocacy group Times Up! on Sunday for a New Orleans-style funeral group ride down Bedford Avenue starting at 2 pm at 99 South 6th Street in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Theme from Konono" on
- 1:17 Ditch the Chain, a New Type of Bicycle Is Hereby AssociatedPressFeatured 1,939,133
- 7:11 The fastest human powered bicycleby Power In Motion 1,368,292 views
- 4:52 Hasidic Tensions in Williamsburgby DeZelle12 10,013 views
- 6:13 bedfordbikedebate.m4vby brm237 4,845 views
- 4:22 New York City Bait Bike Sting.wmvby jasoncecchettini 66,486 views
- 45:10 Locked Up Abroad S06 E13 - Hasidic King Of Cokeby Sammy Badbwoi 115,522 views
- 21 videos Play all Bedford Ave Vidsby writerman000
- 8:58 bike thief gets ownedby edmund94232 51,002 views
- 5:39 NYC DOT explains Bike Lanes in the Big Appleby StreetfilmsVlog 10,078 views
- 3:06 Stages of a strip and respray at Riparato Fixed Gearby riparato 91,364 views
- 9:44 BBC: The hasidic drugdealer Part 1/6by pegelatrin 168,477 views
- 1:46 Bike Thief Takedownby WCGWorld 691,035 views
- 2:07 bike lanes blocked - Casey Neistat news reportby sweetmuzix 44,920 views
- 1:30 How to Spray a Bike with Rattle Cans Part 1 - Riparato Fixed Gearby riparato 225,643 views
- 5:13 MASH SF AUSTIN WITH LANCE ARMSTRONGby mikorp 884,783 views
- 7:45 The View, Rejection of Hasidic Jews in Brooklyn. Deborah Feldman Bookby itbreakingnews 140,471 views
- 4:32 new technology for parking bicyclesby mr2000jp 146,658 views
- 8:35 Bike Maintenance - Part 2. Stripping the paint. 30 Year Old Harry Hall Road Bike - TOTAL - rebuildby Thebikezoneuk 75,810 views
- 1:58 ArtPrimo.com Demo: Painting a Bike Frame and Forks with Belton Molotow Premium Spray Paintby ArtPrimo 92,485 views
- 1:51 Falling Over Bike Lanes - New York Postby NYPost 8,563 views
- 2:33 Bedford Avenue in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, New Yorkby cmomedia 32,184 views
- Loading more suggestions...